my 45 planted tank HELP~!!!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (4/78%)
my 45 planted tank HELP~!!!!

not sure if this is the right thread to post help in, but I thought maybye somone could help me with a scape>?? I have 1 small pc of driftwood (african) with java ferns tied to it, and I just added another huge pc of mopani, thow I did soak it for 3 weeks, I am very scared of it rotting or tannis.... I can not figure out where to put everything to make it look NICE' please help !!! I have very nice reds , and lots of light and dark greens, and i am trying to clear the cloudyness now, my pics will be full tank shot, then from right to left with 4 shots slowly showing the middle, ( I am hoping you can see all I do have to work with , i am just really confused on where to put everything for that dream scape, uknow<>>????? any and ALL suggestions will be appreciated !!!!! I will post my 5 gallon hex journal tonight !!! It is great !!! ok, here are my pics I just took, today it is way pass time for a gravel clean and a rescape, just asking for help on the rescspe>?????any ideas>????????

ok, here is 5 pics they wouldent let me add the others, so they will be bext .. the rest of the left side is missing here...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC06263.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	7944  

Name:	DSC06265.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	116.3 KB
ID:	7945  

Name:	DSC06266.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	7946  

Name:	DSC06267.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	7947  

Name:	DSC06269.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	131.1 KB
ID:	7948  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:38 PM Thread Starter

ok, here is the rest of the 45 gallon, the left side,,.,.,.ok, I also have some kind of foamy stuff on the top, i will post that when I get backm have to go pick up my car again !! from the shop!! LOL< thank you for ANY INPUT AND HELP!!!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC06270.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	7949  

Name:	DSC06271.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	7950  

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (49/100%)
I think you have to many stems to do a true scape. Really need to have a short foreground plant to make it all flow right. I would take some of your stems out and try to trade them for some dwarf hairgrass or some sort of carpet plant.

Once you have a foreground plant, or maybe even sand up front, then I would take your medium sized plants (have some it seems on the left side)and plant them in between the foreground and the stems.

Thats obviously the quick fix info. I am basically at your level, maybe a month past it and I am now learning the trimming and how to make the plants grow bushier and more formed.

I think with your stems you might want to get them a lil closer together when you first set them in. It was tough for me until I upgraded from some lame clamps to a nice set of tweezers.

I also think the gaps on the edges would do better as a gap in the center of the tank. The gaps on the edges look better with island style scapes.

Good luck and you are growing plants nicely. The plants are blooming just need to let the artist in you bloom now.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 08:47 PM Thread Starter

well I like the sand idea, should I do the whole frount of the tank>?? I nbought some cement sand it slike all purpose sand, I have read it works, i can also get some sand at the local river bank..LOL, bur I do LOVE the sand look, just not sure if I wanna do a middle , like a river, or all in the front of the tank, or both !!!! LOL!!!!!!! I would like to trade some of my stems I have tried glosso, wont stay to well, I like hairgrass but its a little too jungle' for me, I am wondering ....HHHHMMMM yea!! maybye some drawf baby tears !!! that may look good will the grow ok with the snad probally if I leave enough eco-complete under em huh!!! so does anyone have any for sale >????? revo bux here !!! I wanna start a post of my wiah/want list anyway , so this is a great start !! I took see the gaps on the edges now that it is in picture form, thanxs!! i will fix that as well with my gravel clean tonight I will have to post a sell lot of stems here shortly so I canget what I need in here, I do have a huge amazon sword in there belive it or not !!! it is in the back left corner b4 you get to the tree stump, I have ricca growing on the stump with a net right now, will remove whne it starts growing good !! I also have the giant hairgrass in both corner front windows, and im selling off all my jungle vals and my crypts, I agree I have way too many stems!! and these are not even all of them !!! i have a 90 i am working on to try to get it set up, still need a stand .dresser..LOL< and canopy, or atleast some lights !! I could use the plastic ceiling light thingys I have now for a top until, but I still have to silicone a glass brace in the middle (the one that was there is gone ...!!!) anyway I would love to get this tank the way IT would look good , so I can ' move onto the 90. wow alot of work I have to do , I was mainly worried about the health and growth of my plants, now im ready for them to look' good...LOL< thanxs jeremy, keep up the comments, i need all I can get ..!! O tank specs are
45 gallon long
built stand and canopy by a friend'
heater, HOB power filter 40-60~yes I wish I had a canister actually I need 4 !!! LOL
also a power head with a filter for cleaing out the cloudiness, its working!! and i also have a small powerhead in the bottom with diy co2 attached.
I am dosing liquid ferts, until i can get the dry ferts , and also figure them out !!:LOL< and right now just one true sae, and a few cherries that didnt wanna be caught!!! my other cherries are in my 29 planted right now.

thanxs and please help, keep the suggestions coming !! I will rinse out the sand and gravel clean tonight , then maybye I can add the sand>? sont know how long it has to rinse yet , I will go find out !! LOL< thanxs!!!!!!!!!
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 04:05 AM Thread Starter

C'mon guys, I need some ideas, please !!!!! I am about to sell off alot of my stems, and get some ferns, water sprite, and balensa, and I want to do somthing in the foreground, I think i will put the sand in, then plant the cardinals in little bunches everywhere in the frount for a foreground , what do you ll think>??????????????HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOLand what fish would do well to not disturb my plants, and be able to handle my dosing with the liquid ferts>?? I am doing the everyday plan,....... but every other day ...
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 11:37 PM Thread Starter

so NO other help huh ....??
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:45 AM Thread Starter

I need a scape >?? please help !!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 04:18 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I think your ideas sounded like a good start... what kind of look are you going for overall? Posting some pics of scapes you like might generate some more suggestions. Have you checked out the ADA and AGA websites?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 07:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)
A good way to learn is to spend a lot of time looking through the photo album on this site and like lauraleellbp said look at the ADA tanks and tanks that have been entered in the AGA competition (http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/2007.cgi)

(torn down)
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (23/100%)
I agree with Octopus44 that looking at other tanks is a good place to start. It appears that you do need some negative space and smaller foreground plants to create more of a sense of depth and perspective. i could be wrong but it looks like you have some tall stems up at the front. I'm by no means an expert but i am finding that when i began i was caught up in collector-itis and getting as many plants as i can. Now i'm finind that i want to start limitin the types of plants i have for the sake of cohesiveness and in order to acheive my vision for my aquascape. Tie that in with understandng which plants i can keep successfully..but i think that is what makes this hobby so interesting as it is indeed an art and a science.

As such im fining that im having a lot of luck growing marilea minuta as a foreground, transitioning to blyxa midground and then my stems at the back. Also as ive been looking at others scapes i am always amazed at the neatly trimmed and bushy appearance of some scapes. I'm trying to mimic this and have some success =-) As im trimming i suddenly seem to value the space between groups of plants in creating a neatness and perspective "negative space".

Anyway good luck!
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-26-2008, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
As someone who was a noob not so long ago, I can tell you from my experience that the best "scape" to start with is the "amphitheater" shape, or "coliseum" style. This means just what it sounds like: making a sort of "u" shape, with tall plants in the background, and progressively shorter plants in front of that, and an open foreground right in the middle of the semicircle. This creates the appearance of varying depth and dimension, which will teach you quite a few things in the meanwhile. After you master this, you will understand more about the art of creating an aquascape, so you can go on and be more creative.

FWIW.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode