Natty's Shrimp/Crayfish Paradise (30% Finished) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 05:52 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (47/100%)
Natty's Shrimp/Crayfish Paradise (30% Finished)

===========INDEX (Tank Updates And Pics)=============
5/20/08 --- Post #1, Page 1
6/08/08 --- Post #23, Page 2
6/21/08 --- Post #35, Page 3
8/18/08 --- Post #49, Page 4
=============================================
================================================== =====
Remodeled whole tank. It will now become a shrimp tank.

1.4 WPG AH Supply
Mild pressurized CO2 injection

Intended Inhabitants:
-Dwarf Crayfish
-CRS
-RCS
-Oto
-Maybe Pleco

October 14, 2008 --------Page 5, Post #65
October 27, 2008 --------Page 5, Post #75

================================================== =====
Here's a tank I've been working on for 3 weeks or so. Started on April 28th 2008.

40 gallon typical
8-11 hour photo period a day
EI dosing for a 20 gallon due to low starting plant mass
30-40ppm CO2 (3-4bps)
2.5 WPG *updated. tank now has almost 4.0wpg. 96 plus 55 watt ah supply.

NOTE: Tank picture updates are in 2 weeks to 1 month intervals.
2nd NOTE: I'm a complete noob at planted tanks. I've never injected co2 before, nor dosed a tank. This is my first ever full planted tank. So if I make some mistakes please kindly help. Thank you.
================================================
Equipment Purchased In Order:

1. CO2 Rex Regulator /w selenoid, CO2 cylinder, dry ferts.
2. Eheim 2217
3. CO2 reactor 200 and rhinox 2000 glass diffuser
4. Aquarium Heater. Visitherm submersible.

This tank's primary purpose later on would be a shrimp tank. But we'll see how it goes.
Plants:

1. Pure flame moss
2. Rotala macrandra
3. Alternanthera Reineckii

I specifically did not want another type of moss in the tank due to contamination possibilities between different moss types. I was very strict on that due to a past experience with christmas moss and stringy moss.

Driftwood is grapvine and malaysian.
Inhabitants:

1. X# Balloon Mollies (aiming for pure white and black)
2. 3 SAE's
3. 1 Pleco

EI Dosing for a 20 gallon.

MAY 19th 2008 (3 weeks~ from starting date)

It actually took me awhile to get the moss in place. I started with about 2-3 golfball size and it grew in nicely and fairly fast too! Flame moss is hard to stick onto driftwood, you just have to be really persistant in tying them down. Once they get long, you trim and tie down more. I would say they grow just a bit faster than java.

I had a lot of BBA problems at first but the problem was fairly quick in resolve. Just added some saes and turned up the co2 till the drop checker turned green to almost yellow.

It's funny how the macrandra, which is said to be hard to retain their natural red colors, is actually easier than the Alternanthera which was said to be easier. Just comes to show that easy and difficult is a matter of opinion in many cases.

FULL TANK VIEW

We'll see how this is in two weeks to a month

Any comments, questions, or opinions?

Last edited by Natty; 11-26-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 06:01 AM
Banned

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
looks nice, looks like it needs ground cover and a floating plant in my opinion.
post #3 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 07:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishman9809 View Post
looks nice, looks like it needs ground cover and a floating plant in my opinion.
I didn't include other plants mainly because its a PITA to keep it all together. Diversity is nice, but simplicity just suits me more.

When I'm finished with this project, you'll understand it.

post #4 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 09:19 PM Thread Starter

I'm dosing EI and my nitrate readings are like 40ppm almost always.

Does this mean there's not enough plants to suck up the nutrients? Can I lower my nitrate dosing a little?

Like instead of doing the usual 1/4th tsb no3, I'll just do maybe 1/8th which is half?

Like whats the no3 ppm I have to usually keep it at, like a range?
post #5 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
in my opinion you need more of a layout (you have stems in the front), and more plant mass (you can keep only those three plants, just more of each). i like the vivid red coloration though.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #6 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 10:52 PM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
i love that moss, it is soo green

-Chris

post #7 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:28 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
in my opinion you need more of a layout (you have stems in the front), and more plant mass (you can keep only those three plants, just more of each). i like the vivid red coloration though.
Yeah, so basically you want me to fill out the tank more with the plants I already have right?

Confused lol

It'll take awhile before the plants grow out for me to have enough to fill the tank with.

BTW CAN ANYONE ANSWER MY QUESTION ON MY LAST POST, THE ONE BEFORE THIS FROM ME?

(Just trying to get the question noticed)
post #8 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 01:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
yeah. just fill it up more, and arrange it. right now the stems seem planted at random. try and arange it by height; you can group the stems and make round bushes, in front of that you can keep driftwood and under it slope some moss. have some smaller bushes in front and next to that. maybe a moss carpet. basically, yeha fill it up and shape it.

try and keep nitrates around 10.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 03:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
yeah. just fill it up more, and arrange it. right now the stems seem planted at random. try and arange it by height; you can group the stems and make round bushes, in front of that you can keep driftwood and under it slope some moss. have some smaller bushes in front and next to that. maybe a moss carpet. basically, yeha fill it up and shape it.

try and keep nitrates around 10.
So if nitrates is like 20-40ppm....does that mean I have way too much and I should cut back on dosing KNO3 (nitrates)?

I know what you're talking about, its just that I don't have enough stems yet to arrange anything yet. I started with just 6 or so rotala and 2-3 golfballs of flame moss, not exactly a whole lot of "clay" to work with if you get what I'm saying. I'm waiting for them to grow out so I will have something to work with.
post #10 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:21 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
You definately need to bring the nitrates down. I keep my nitrates low (around 5-10 ppm) to get really red leaves. Here's a pic of macrandra that came from the same tank as the ones I sent you.

Name:  redmacrandra.jpg
Views: 189
Size:  52.9 KB
post #11 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 04:56 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cah925 View Post
You definately need to bring the nitrates down. I keep my nitrates low (around 5-10 ppm) to get really red leaves. Here's a pic of macrandra that came from the same tank as the ones I sent you.

Attachment 7940
I'll definately work on it. That's my goal right there.
post #12 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 07:06 AM

PTrader: (4/78%)
IME if you add more plants it will even out your mitrate so that is what everyone is saying you are dosing, well you need more plants to eat that dosage. i know you are low dosing , but I would still get more of the same plants or pic one more and add it in . I have some red ludwiga im selling now in the s&s that would look good in a group on the right side, you just use a tie and make a bunch out of your stems instead of having one or two in one place you could have 5 or 10 !! would look' alot better and gives your fish wonderful places to hide and play behind. I think your tank will look awsome when its done I too love the moss I need to get me some, hey if you know somone with some good prices send them my way !!! LOL , seriously !! I love that moss!!! I think I have some TW moss, and java, nothing awsome yet , my ricca is starting to fill in, I bet you would like it in your tank !! it is hard to get together !! but once you do, OMG is it worth it !!! here is a pic of a log im doing, whne it fills out you shouldent even see the tree stump anymore, just huge grass, but I will trim it down for my desired look'........great tank !! just put thopse stems in the very frount in a bunch and place back in the substrate , BTW what is that substrate>?? looks like baileys >???

ok pics of my tree stump, rember I just planted this wil be mths b4 its grown out where i want it ..

Last edited by starsunmoon; 05-24-2008 at 07:30 PM.
post #13 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 11:58 AM
Fear the Swamp!

PTrader: (176/100%)
Starsunmoon, what kind of mesh are you using on that stump?
post #14 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-23-2008, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natty View Post
Can I lower my nitrate dosing a little?

Like instead of doing the usual 1/4th tsb no3, I'll just do maybe 1/8th which is half?
Yes, you can manipulate the dosage in EI. Eventually EI will be the way to ignore those tests but this is considering the tank is fully planted and growing fast. Although you have a pleasing layout so far, truthfully there are only a few stems consuming anything yet, the moss isn't so effective at stripping nutrients.

Make sure CO2 is strong and steady.
post #15 of 86 (permalink) Old 05-24-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice guys, I'm trying to right now.

Because I have excessive nutrients I'm having some string algae growing. Trying to work on it a bit. Thanks for the heads up.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode