Fish Dork's 80g - Ancient Relic? Aug 28, 2011 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Fish Dork's 80g - Ancient Relic? Aug 28, 2011

This is my first planted tank. The tank is 80 gal and was started in June 07

Substrate: peat/sand covered with black gravel. Kitty litter (pure clay) added in balls later for iron content

Filtration: Marineland Pengiun HOB, carbon removed, cheap filter floss and pot scrubbers as media

CO2: 10lb pressurized, added in April 08, previous CO2 was DIY yeast method

Lights: 4 X 55 T5HO on 12 hours/day 2 X 6500, 2 X 10000, brand cheap... one ballast has since been replaced, now runs under the tank.

Plants: Rotala Macrandra, Rotala rotundifolia, Hygro. Polysperma, Hygro. Corymbosa, Java Fern Wind. and Java Fern. ??, Val. Americana, Java Moss

Fish: Rummy Nose Tetra, Cardinal, Assorted Rainbows, Tiger Barb, Black Skirt tetra, danios

Tank pics from June 07

From August 07

From November 07

From Jan 08

And these are from earlier in May, before a trim was done

And here's some after the tank was trimmed, same month

80 gal planted thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
filstar pimp #146 Dual-ing XP3's

Last edited by fish dork; 08-29-2011 at 09:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Awesome jungle
post #3 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks orlando, this thing is a first attempt and it's killing me to not tear it down. But there is a little fish dork coming in the next couple of months, so no time for that at present. I really was trying to get the hang of plant growing and algae control with this setup. Now with trimming every week just to keep light going in, I think I've got that! Next I want to get the hang of trimming and shaping the plants, then eventually I will set this tank up with a nature scape... and get rid of the decorations altogether.

80 gal planted thread:

post #4 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:40 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Sounds like your on the right track..Well executed.
post #5 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 10:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
your progress is really great. the tank looks good. i have no doubt you will be shaping perfectly round bushes, something that is still far beyond many of us (me for example).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #6 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-19-2008, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (31/100%)
nice tank.

What is the green plant on the left side of the tank?

I also love how you added decor but made it blend in and look natural with the tank
post #7 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 12:45 AM

PTrader: (9/100%)
fish, those are Fantastic! I'm getting my CO2 setup this week from Orlando and if I can do half as well as you I'll be tickled. Grreat tank!!
post #8 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 01:22 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
Great lookin tank! With that lighting, I would add some sort of reddish colored plant to add some color, but aside from that I wouldn't change a thing.
post #9 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CobraGuppy View Post
nice tank.

What is the green plant on the left side of the tank?

I also love how you added decor but made it blend in and look natural with the tank
The left side has bacopa monieri (baby tears) in the very front corner, and the prominent plant is hyrgo. polysperma, with val. americana behind it.

80 gal planted thread:

post #10 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-20-2008, 03:16 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by crudnugget View Post
Great lookin tank! With that lighting, I would add some sort of reddish colored plant to add some color, but aside from that I wouldn't change a thing.
Believe it or not there is rotala macrandra in there, but it blends in with the brown wall behind the tank. Also it's not as red as it could be, I think it may be that the nitrate levels are too high. It has started to redden since I added iron to the base of the plants with kitty litter clay balls. Sometime soon I plan to add a black background to this tank, then maybe the contrast will show the red better.

There is also a red tiger lotus in there, but the bulb went dormant (and I can't get it back for some reason) and the remaining plant won't do anything but fire up lily pads.

80 gal planted thread:

post #11 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 03:28 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (26/100%)
What a change from the begining! Great looking tank. My only complaint is the pottery.

(torn down)
post #12 of 57 (permalink) Old 05-25-2008, 03:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by octopus44 View Post
What a change from the begining! Great looking tank. My only complaint is the pottery.

I agree... this tank will be going more along a natural line. I'm thinking DW and no more fake stuff. Currently it's in the planning mode.

80 gal planted thread:

post #13 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:17 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've added a black background and done some trimming. I'm working on making the macrandra and rotundifolia more bush-like, so it hasn't grown back fully in the very back of the tank. But, here are some current pics.

And here's the macrandra, after some touch up

And... the DW is currently soaking! ....

80 gal planted thread:

post #14 of 57 (permalink) Old 06-13-2008, 02:22 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
I'd also like to see some red plants in your tank, but it does look good
post #15 of 57 (permalink) Old 07-28-2008, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here's some more recent pics... the back plants are starting to show nicely. These were taken after the most recent trim was done. These shots may be a little dark as I have had another ballast go just recently and have not had time to rewire the spare I have.

80 gal planted thread:

Last edited by fish dork; 07-30-2008 at 06:04 PM. Reason: bit of photo edtiting done

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode