Upgraded from 46g bow to 210g framed in wall (Intermediate Exprience) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:12 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Upgraded from 46g bow to 210g framed in wall (Intermediate Exprience)

Well, here are pictures of my newly installed tank. It is still slightly under construction. I still have yet to finish getting the pumps to work correctly (low noise w/propper circulation), some minor electrical work but most of it is cosmetic (Like the skirt around the base of the tank and a few more rocks) but here you have it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_079.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	7477  

Name:	IMAGE_080.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	7478  

Name:	IMAGE_081.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	7479  

Name:	IMAGE_082.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	7480  

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:14 AM Thread Starter

A couple more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAGE_084.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	74.7 KB
ID:	7481  

Name:	IMAGE_085.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	7482  

Name:	IMAGE_086.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	7483  

Name:	IMAGE_087.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	7484  

Attached Images

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 09:19 AM Thread Starter

Current status but has some new babies (Purchased babies)
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAGE_088.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	7486  

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 11:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
awesome tank!

now scape it. put down a foreground midground and background. its easiest with tanks seen only from one side, you can make the foreground shaped like an "n" from the front corners, the midground like a belt behind the foreground (rocks + wood go here or a bit behind), and fill up the remaining areas with tall plants for a background.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:58 PM

Thumbs up

Absolutely beautiful tank. I would greatly increase plant density to get a jump start on long term algae issues. You could always add some floating plants if you don't like the idea of disturbing your substrate to add additional plants.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:13 PM
Algae Grower

Great job. I like the pine trim around it. That gives balance and draws attention to the tank.

My husband doesn't like me putting holes in the wall to hang pictures so I imagine a hole as big as an aquarium would be out. lol
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 05:50 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
That's a pretty impressive setup!

The electrical cords all over the place scare me a bit (some bad experiences and I HATE getting shocked...)

I agree some 'scaping with some tall background plants will make a world of difference; maybe something simple like some Vallisnerias that the cichlids would be less likely to munch on?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Quote:
I agree some 'scaping with some tall background plants will make a world of difference; maybe something simple like some Vallisnerias that the cichlids would be less likely to munch on?
Vals, Swards, Anubias, and Java Ferns would be great for those fish.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Great tank! Huge is good The chords are a little scary. I just saw this at Dr.Foster.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=18999

That would look sweet and tidy things up a bit
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:16 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
awesome tank!

now scape it. put down a foreground midground and background. its easiest with tanks seen only from one side, you can make the foreground shaped like an "n" from the front corners, the midground like a belt behind the foreground (rocks + wood go here or a bit behind), and fill up the remaining areas with tall plants for a background.
Well I would love to do some aqua scaping and really want to but I was going to grow what you see there and try to spread it around but i have seen some of the tanks on this site and really want to pull something beautiful like that out of the hat and into the tank so any help is greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishGirl65 View Post
Great job. I like the pine trim around it. That gives balance and draws attention to the tank.

My husband doesn't like me putting holes in the wall to hang pictures so I imagine a hole as big as an aquarium would be out. lol
LOL, well I told my wife about my idea and she loved the idea. I guess because she also wanted a tank in our disabled daughter's rooms so she can watch the fish at night and well, with this tank I nocked out two birds with one stone. We have a large tank that is viewable from the livingroom without taking up a bunch of space and a tank in our daughter's bedroom that she can watch while laying in bed and as a bonus the blue light from the tank during the night time phase has a calming effect on our daughter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
That's a pretty impressive setup!

The electrical cords all over the place scare me a bit (some bad experiences and I HATE getting shocked...)

Yea, the electrical is still a bit under constuction. I'm still changing out pumps, trying to find the right pump setup and connecting equipment. So here shortly it will all be mounted and zip tied. Unfortunately I don't think I have a pic on there of the electrical that crosses the tank that is zip tied and almost completely out of view.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingsdlc View Post
Vals, Swards, Anubias, and Java Ferns would be great for those fish.
Thank you for the suggestions. I will look those up and see where I can get them from. I really do want to have some awesome aqua scaping, it does do wonders for the algae, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Great tank! Huge is good The chords are a little scary. I just saw this at Dr.Foster.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...9&pcatid=18999

That would look sweet and tidy things up a bit
Yea, I didn't want to connect each canister directly together just in case I needed to separate them for one reason or another so I glued them with PVC and put a threaded coupler between them.
It makes for easy separation when I need to take one out for some reason.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:29 AM Thread Starter

Update...

So, since I last posted here are some updated pictures of my tank
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAGE_008.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	10069  

Name:	IMAGE_012.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	10070  

Name:	IMAGE_013.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	29.6 KB
ID:	10071  

Name:	IMAGE_014.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	27.8 KB
ID:	10072  

Name:	IMAGE_015.jpg
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	10073  

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:30 AM Thread Starter

and more pics
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAGE_016.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	10074  

Name:	IMAGE_017.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	10075  

Name:	IMAGE_018.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	10076  

Name:	IMAGE_019.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	10077  

Name:	IMAGE_020.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	10078  

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:31 AM Thread Starter

more yet
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMAGE_021.jpg
Size:	63.2 KB
ID:	10079  

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:35 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Sweet lotus and cool plumbing

-Chris

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 04:54 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. It's been lots of work but it's been fun.

The project still isn't done but has come to a stand still for the time being as I have lots of other priorities for the time being but one of these days I'll finish getting the automatic filling system into place, finish getting the drain spray bar outside to spray the flowers out front with the water being drained from the tank and get a skirt on the tank

All in due time but the system is working, for the most part the bugs have been worked out of it and all the fish are happy, plump and full of life.

I even have a zig zag eel in there that loves (or should I say prefers) to be hand fed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode