29g Planted.. Redone 6/23/08 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:45 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (45/98%)
29g Planted.. Redone 6/23/08

Redoing my 29g and need a quick critique on the current scape.. This is probably the hardest part at the moment, is getting the wood to look "natural" and actually stay in the substrate without moving..
so let me know what you guys think of the current scape.. I will post more pictures of step by step process a bit later when im done with the whole tank.. (excuse the dirty glass)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bk828; 06-23-2008 at 04:26 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 11:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
Looks pretty good to me now. Maybe a couple of smaller pieces on the left side pointing forward would be good. Really depends on what you plant on doing with the plants though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks eyebeatbadgers.

Redid the position of the wood a bit.. now theres more twisting.

those pieces are the only ones i have.. Wouldve been nice to have atleast 2 larger pieces.. but oh well

(btw Thanks Craig for the wood)

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

After hours of moving the wood, gravel and plants I can call it a night and finally relax a bit.. Here are some shots of the progress

Still have to fill up the tank.. tomorrow morning will do a small wc and hopefully add the fish back in.

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 03:42 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
That looks really nice- that's definitely the best DW arrangement yet. I just don't care for that one piece on the far right that seems to come too far forward?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 04:02 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks laura,
I am very very VERYY happy with how the tank turned out to be.
Hmm looking back at the wood on the right side... it does seem to be 2 forward, lol well it is touching the front glass lol I might do something about it tomorrow.

(on the side note... after filling it up completely I realize that is sucks that the wood pieces arnt larger, but still look great)

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:56 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Heres a shot of the tank filled up.
Now we wait until the plants get tall

Im also thinking about getting a school or rummies or rasboras, or maybe a school of both.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 08:36 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like your end result. Perhaps consider moving that too close on the right piece and even lying it on the ground somewhere in the front near center to draw the two sides together. The bent ends could stick up a little in the shorter foreground plants.

Great job and I really like the red plants you included.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:19 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I'd vote for rasboras; rummies really like their swimming/schooling room and a 29gal is kind of short for that?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-27-2008, 06:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
i like the jungle effect from all those different kinds of plants in there. and colors.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 12:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (62/100%)
Send a message via AIM to eyebeatbadgers
great job !!

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-28-2008, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

thanks everyone.

Laura, the 29g is 30" across so dont know if its 2 short for rummies..

post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 05-28-2008, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Heres a little update. Excuse the cloudy water, just redid the scape.. good thing its already clearing up.

I removed the ludwigia repens i had in the left corner since i didnt really like how it looked and replaced it with L. Aromatica. So far it has grown in nicely and I will soon be trimming it to make it more bushy. I had also replaced the Xingu swords i had in the foreground with Blyxa and Elatine Triandra. Waiting to see how that goes on filling in. If anything might consider some glosso in the future.
The right side of the tank still seems out of shape, Its full of narrow leaf/needle leaf and regular java ferns and crypts. In the future will need to tie some more pieces of the fern to the wood to give it more volume.

Well heres the (bad) photo :P

post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-23-2008, 04:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Havent updated here in a while so here we go.

Since my last update I had added a school of rummy noses and a smaller school of harlequin rasboras(6:3). I also had luck finally getting some babies out of my dwarf cray.
With the plants I added some anubias nana and a few nana petites to the left side. Added a bigger batch of needle leaf fern and some crypts to the right to add some more volume. And slowly am taring apart the elatine triandra carpet to replace it with glosso.
Now the biggest change for the tank came last friday when i upgraded the lighting from 5x14w screw in CFL to a 55w ahsupply kit. Lets just say WOW it made one hell of a difference. I now have instant pearling when i turn on the lights and the plants are actually gaining more color (L. Aromatica turning purplish instead of green)

Well the thread is nothing without photos.. so here we go

And for a video of the crazy pearling CLICK HERE

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 06-24-2008, 05:03 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
looksgood. I didnt really like it that much in teh beginning but at this point it looks real nice and full. What kind of lighting are you working with?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode