"Mousse Vert" 55g (updated 5-31-09) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 12:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
"Mousse Vert" 55g (updated 5-31-09)

Well this past week I took down and started my Re-Do of my 55g. Its got terrible dimensions for scaping and had a lot of ideas floating in my head. I decided to keep it simple, even more so than before and get going on it! This Friday the 25th I'll be going to Atlanta for a DECA Conference (Hoping to convince the group to go to the aquarium since we get a discount!) So before then I want to get the main stuff set up and the cycle finishing by the time I get back...

So here is the general ideas and whatnot.

Equiptment.

Filtration: I'm wanting to keep the tank "simple" I'm thinking about a HMF but the sponge I want is looking too pricy at the moment so I may just get a canister defeating my keep all water inside the box hope.

Heating: Visitherm stealth heater as always. If I do get a canister, I may get an inline heater down the road.

Lighting: Good old cheap T8s from the local hardware store!

Other odds n ends: Coralife digital thermometer. A few Power heads to keep circulation for filter feeding shrimp. Might get some 24 inch forcepts and scissors.. not too sure. Also have tank covers which are acrylic and already warping !

The only color wanted in the tank is the plants and wood, that being said:

Substrate: orriginally planned on getting ADA AS. I really was firm on this decision but then realized I've become too dependant on Substrates for fertilization and needed to learn to dose the Water collumn. So the substrate is TMS, aka black sand that costs more than it should. I have an extra bag If I need more.

Hardscape: Will be black lava rock and branchy driftwood. I've got lava rock picked because its cheap, black, and also used heavily as a bio media in large tanks and ponds so I figure it should help out in here as well.

Flora: All epiphytes Moss, Ferns, Anubis, thats the idea. I'll also have stems in the beginning but hopefully won't have a huge amount.

Fauna:

Albino Bushy nose Plecos (payment should be sent by now) hopefully down the road will breed these beauties.

Otto catfish, I'll be constantly buying them from my LFS. My dream is to get a species only tank and breed them. Thats a bit of a ways off though (I've got the 45g tank in my basement!)

Dwarf Corry cats, Probably get a dozen eventually. I like corries but they also tend to like baby shrimp so this is my compromise. I think they should love the black sand.

Shrimp!

Most likely snowballs, They should stand out well and look great. My ph is 7 out of the tap (after its dechlorinated and in the tank) which is perfect for these guys.

Wood shrimp! I'm going to set up a powerhead just for these guys, so they'll have no problem sitting in the flow.

Possibly rusty red claw macro shrimp, IF I can find a few. Not too easy these days.

Some dwarf crays. I kinda want to get the orange ones, but I'm thinking the normal ones would be better for this tank... (3 or so to start)

MTS, a few FF clams, hopefully get some blue rams horns too.

So I need to find the Camera, and take some more new pictures, then get them uploaded. So that'll come this coming week.

That being said, this will not turn into my last 55g journal and I have pictures on the camera to update my 10g journal

School bright and early tomorrow
-Andrew

Last edited by A Hill; 05-31-2009 at 01:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 12:37 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sounds like a good plan, it will be a neat tank. I would love to have a shrimp tank that big. Good luck with the setup!

5g Hex, planted-bee shrimp, oto

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

10g, planted-white clouds, platy, cories, shrimp, snails, algae...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~1g bowl - duckweed, male betta
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Alright, I don't have any setup day pictures it seems.. Right now I've got a little Clado and GW.

No co2 yet

Got the albino bushy nose plecos....

Just threw the cherries in there for now...

My friend keeping the GW at bay while I decide what I'm going to do.

Stringy - Fontanus A bit of clado, but it is isolated and will dip it sooner or later.

Right+Left tank shots Tank shots.

Big bundle of crap floating is still there...

I need to decide how I'm going with the tank.

I've got a reporter from the local newspaper coming to interview me about this crazy hobby and my DECA stuff tentatively Friday so this should make a great picture (originally he was supposed to come monday)

I've got some wood soaking, almost done but still floating...

Crazy times, crazy times (My eagle project is on Saturday as well!)

-Andrew

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-21-2008, 11:03 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Sounds like an awesome tank. I think you should go with the dwarf orange crays The regular ones are alot cheaper, but not nearly as pretty. I've got a pair of orange ones on the way, should be here tomorrow

Morgan

7 gallon in the works ~ planted ~ CPO's & Gardneri Killifish
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOsborne05 View Post
Sounds like an awesome tank. I think you should go with the dwarf orange crays The regular ones are alot cheaper, but not nearly as pretty. I've got a pair of orange ones on the way, should be here tomorrow
Well I'm thinking of having fish in this tank.

If I spend the Cash on the oranges I want them in their own tank, and them doing well before I add any to the 55g.

How much where yours? (if you don't mind)

More pictures eventually....

-Andrew
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 12:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hill View Post
Well I'm thinking of having fish in this tank.

If I spend the Cash on the oranges I want them in their own tank, and them doing well before I add any to the 55g.

How much where yours? (if you don't mind)

More pictures eventually....

-Andrew

I hear ya. Mine were $70 for a young pair. They are going into a 10 gallon for the time being, and then hopefully once they start breeding I can spread them out into other tanks. That's the plan at least.

You should get some breeding caves for you plecs. Can't wait to see more pics

Morgan

7 gallon in the works ~ planted ~ CPO's & Gardneri Killifish
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-22-2008, 10:11 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Quote:
Crazy times, crazy times (My eagle project is on Saturday as well!)
Very cool. I wish I would have took it farther than I did. Something else kind of took its place though. I wish you much luck!

Nice Bristle Nose Plecos. It would be a good idea to get them some caves. I have a hollow log in my tank that they use for hanging out in and also for spawning.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Wow my journals are terrible....

Sorry.

Anyways I still haven't completely decided whats going on in this tank. Right now its being taken over by flame moss and stringy moss and a bit of this and that. All but one of the bushy nose plecos died due to andrew's stupidity.

So I need to decide on what I'm going to do, I've been thinking about doing all CPDs in this tank and breeding them... That means getting a few new tanks for shrimp and whatnot, I'll see.

I've almost got a bowling ball of Flame moss, I wanted to wait until it got to the surface but that'll probably take another year

New additions since the update months ago are
5 ottos, 3 now
2 anubis coffeolia,
1 crazy YOYO loach that hitchhiked with the anubis I'm too nice to get rid of him...
8 or so Amano shrimp
2 bumblebee shrimp (MIA now, got them for free from the LFS)

I have to say, I have a low bioload and the in tank filtration is great, I can change the water flow direction anytime I want increase or decrease surface aggitation etc. The sponges get clogged up very easily though so I'm going to get some new sponges soon.

Maybe some pictures later today coming this way.

-Andrew
Oh yeah, and since then I'm an eagle scout
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (39/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hill View Post
Hardscape: Will be black lava rock and branchy driftwood. I've got lava rock picked because its cheap, black, and also used heavily as a bio media in large tanks and ponds so I figure it should help out in here as well.
Dude! You're in my head!!! That's the same hardscape I have planned out for my new 29 gallon. Except that I'll be using red lava rock instead of black lava rock... I figured it would show up better against the black background.

I like the sound of your plan.

- South American Fish

- Work in Progress

- Shrimp and Snails
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-09-2008, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmanuelchavez View Post
Dude! You're in my head!!! That's the same hardscape I have planned out for my new 29 gallon. Except that I'll be using red lava rock instead of black lava rock... I figured it would show up better against the black background.

I like the sound of your plan.
Thanks, I think that is out of the running for now because I couldn't find any black lava rock locally, so now its off to the Big chunks of wood and moss area.

You shall see in a few months or so

-Andrew
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

All right, well It has been another terrible journal of mine. As many of you may or may not have seen the tank turned into a flame moss mountain.

Now for the first time ever it has a real scape in the works with a big rock, wood, stems, ferns, moss, lilies, snails, fish, shrimp, and once and a while a little algae.

As of now I'm trying to use picasa to upload the photos quickly since I hate using photobucket... Here is a link to the account album so you can take a look there. I'm just figuring out how to use picasa to imbed photos so please be patient...

This is a picture of the main scaped portion of the tank right after a major 80% or so WC everything pearled crazy.

I have three unique willow mosses growing in the tank at the moment, and they're all doing really well for once! (They've all grown since some of these pictures being taken.)

(With a baby rabbit snail!)

The only remaining BNP built a cave under the rock, if you have a lonely female please let me know he is looking for a girl.

Recent FTS as of today:

And even more going from left to right:

Some other unusual stuff I have growing that I've collected...

Some more pictures of the willow moss and the tank as of right now in just a moment.

Sorry about the long delay in updates

-Andrew
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-30-2009, 02:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Some better pictures of some of the three willow mosses I've got growing.

A small possible foreground arrangement I'm thinking of doing for the whole right side of the tank... (this is just about 1 square inch)

Stems detail on color

The flame moss wall, random gibbia that hates me, and a random stem that is growing out there. (it'll be turned into a small bush soon enough.

Red Tiger Lotus, still hasn't sent up any pads to the surface... =(

Male seeking female who has long flowing fins, a good attitude, and likes lots of algae.

Lastly,

Take it easy,
-Andrew
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:45 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hey it looks pretty good man, I like the mosses and such

"Turn on, Tune in, Drop out" Dr. Timothy Leary

WOODSTOCK 40 Years!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 03:55 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
Sweet mosses! I really like that first willow moss. That huge pellia wall looks awesome

-Chris

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-31-2009, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtkid View Post
Hey it looks pretty good man, I like the mosses and such
Thanks, its a little messy right now, but I'm a very patient aquascaper...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clwatkins10 View Post
Sweet mosses! I really like that first willow moss. That huge pellia wall looks awesome
Thanks, The first willow moss looks great a nice deep green and brown. It also is growing pretty quickly surprisingly.

I have no pelia in the tank... So its either the susswassetang you're talking about in the middle on the DW, the Flame moss wall, or maybe the Riccia that is getting out of control? (I'm going to switch that with some stems that'll be trained into a nice hedge.) Either way, thanks.

If anyone has a female ABNP who wants some moss or something let me know

-Andrew

Tags
55 gallon, a hill, andrew, moss, mousse vert

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode