dekstr's CPD 10 gallon tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
dekstr's CPD 10 gallon tank

Hey everyone,

I tore down the livebearer tank in my basement. Their excessive breeding was way too demanding for my schedule so I gave them away.

Now I have a celestial pearl danios, or whatever you call Danio margaritatus these days.

I just set it up last week.

As you can see in the pictures, the blyxa kind of uprooted on its own and I'm too lazy to replant them.

Here are some details:
Tank size/dimensions: standarn 10 gallon fish tank
Filter: Eheim Liberty 100 HOB also added extra AC and filter floss for now
Heater: 50w Hagen Thermal Compact Preset Heater
Temperature: 23-24 degrees Celsius
Substrate: Flourite Black
Lighting: DIY light box with two 13w spiral CF bulbs, 6500k (8 hours a day)
Fertilizer: excel, KNO3, KH2PO4 and trace elements 3x a week and 50% water change (we'll see what happens, I might reduce frequency / amounts of fertilizer so I can extend WC to twice a month instead).

Flora: Blyxa japonica, Spirodela polyrhiza, Hygrophila difformis, Hygrophila polysperma 'Rosanervig', Rotala rotundifolia, Taxiphyllum barbieri and Fissidens sp. and some sort of Rotala sp.?

Animals: 6 Danio margaritatus, 12 Caridina sp. (assorted bee shrimps) and some pond snails.

I found out all 6 of my CPDs are female (anal fin is clear) last week so I'll get one male CPD and eventually I hope I can breed them.

Edit: I also forgot to mention that two of the pieces of driftwood are stacked on top of each other, but there is a big "cave" in between where you can enter either from the front or back. The bee shrimp and CPD really like to hide inside once in a while to feel safe.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 12:11 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
note that pearl Danios are rare species of fish so good job on willimg to breed em .Right now only one known finding place in the world for these fishies so be carefull when you plan to stock them . Nice tanks by the way İve been following your other journal as well on your 2.5 g. İts my inspiration to start my own nano just a bit bigger ( 50 ltr )

[/SIGPIC]Want to go nano , but donīt know where to start
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
6 posts vs 1056 posts...

I'm willing to bet that dekstr knows the environmental status of those fish

Those are beautiful fish indeed. Keep us posted as to how your breeding goes dekstr.

p.s. good luck on your nano aquamadman

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 11:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Haha it's all good.

It's good to know that people care about the environmental status of these fish in the wild.

# of posts doesn't really have to do with anything...there are lots of great knowledgeable members here who know a lot more than me with fewer posts.

Thanks mrbman7, I'll keep updated.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 02:15 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (65/100%)
Great start! Good job on putting the stem plants in there. They like lots of cover. I moved mine from a very heavily planted 10g to a moderately planted 20 long and they are alot braver and come out of the plants more with more space. They still like their plants though. See how yours do in the 10g....you may eventually want to upgrade them.

I have read by alot of members here that CPDs will eat shrimplets, but that has not been my experience. I have mine with Cherries.

Mine have spawned atleast once (found a fry, but it didn't make it). If you want to raise any fry, it would be best to take out a male and a couple females and put them in a tank you will raise fry in....then remove the adults right after the eggs are layed. They are avid egg eaters from what I've read.

*Kristin*
Planted tanks:40g breeder, 20g long, 29g
38g Reef tank

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:58 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
I hate to say it, but I think spawning mop and screen is the way to go. It sucks that they like to eat their eggs so much, but what can you do.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the input.

I think this will be the adult tank. I have a spare 10g tank lying around in the basement so I can set it up as a bare bottom tank with just some plant cover and spawning mop + screen.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 09:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
İ dont post much ... more of a viewer and no doubt that dekstr has loads of experience .

Not everyone who reads these posts know that these are rare fish . A mistake that lots of peple make is that they dont do research on the fish they want to buy resulting in either dying fish or in a case like this fish threatening of the existence of them in the wild .

Just trying to point that out to everyone who reads the post and didnt know about this. Anywayz İ am getting of topic here :P
Keep us posted on developements on your tanks man İ simply love em .

[/SIGPIC]Want to go nano , but donīt know where to start

post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Here are a couple of pictures of the 'bee shrimp' I got 1-2 weeks ago:

I think the first one is an amano that got mixed up with the purchase. A lot of the other shrimps are orange but were camera-shy so I couldn't get any good macro shots with my point-and-shoot digital camera of them.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 05:32 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Yup 1st one looks like an Amano to me, too.

Nice job as always, Dekstr!

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 02:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
If you want to breed those fish take the fish out. I have had a problem with the shrimp eating the fry of the CPDs. A couple other people I know have had the same problem as well.

--------------

Riley
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 02:21 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Riley Send a message via Yahoo to Riley
Sorry take the shrimp out....LOL its early.

--------------

Riley
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 06:23 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Lol hmm alright I'll take the shrimp out! It'll take a while though, they are very hard to catch. But I don't have any male CPDs right now so I can keep the shrimp there for now.

Thanks for suggestion.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
CPDs have been found in a second lake as well. their population has declined in the first lake, but the second lakes population was discovered only very recently, and after the country (i forgot which one) started to protect the species. they are also very easy to breed in captivity, so there is only very little threat to their extinction.

are you sure the shrimp ate the fry, id think they would leave any fry alone, but eat the eggs.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2008, 10:51 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I believe the country they come from is Myanmar (formerly Burma), and the approximate place where they were first discovered is in a small water basin about 70-80km northeast of Lake Inle.

I think we should be more conservative in regards to their population in the wild. Even if they are easy to breed and are found in another location, we have to be concious that there is still a lot of demand pressure to export them from the wild.

The mindset that "they have a low chance of going extinct" is risky. It's the same thinking that gets us into excessive taking of natural resources (i.e. overfishing).

This means that anyone intending to keep them in captivity is also responsible for their conservation in the wild (i.e. breeding them locally to reduce wild caught demand pressure.)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode