update - retired (leaking, last post )

this is my new tank and equipment:

the dual electronic ballasts:

the t5 tubes and reflectors:

flourite:

laterite:

peat:

volcanic rock dust:

all i still need is to overdrive my tubes, get a filter, a heater, setup the co2 and i am ready to go!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by wearsbunnyslippers; 03-26-2009 at 05:04 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:18 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Hehe sweet looking tank!

Looking forward to see what you're going to do with all this stuff.

Be careful of ODNO, the bulbs get hotter than usual!
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
nice looking tank. How big is it?

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 02:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank Specs

Height 500mm 20"
Length 980mm 39"
Depth 400mm 16"

196000 cc / +-200l
+-50 US Gallons

post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-07-2008, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Four bags of flourite for a 50g tank? You may want to leave some room for water.

Those peat-plates are pretty sweet.
post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 03:55 AM
Lee
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)
wow dude thatís a lot of different substrate stuff. I read that you donít need laterite with flourite, not to mention the other stuff. I would just go pure flourite.
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by macclellan View Post
Four bags of flourite for a 50g tank? You may want to leave some room for water.

Those peat-plates are pretty sweet.
@mcclellan - i just want to make sure i have enough, its not easy to find this stuff in sa, so when i did i bought enough to last me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
wow dude thatís a lot of different substrate stuff. I read that you donít need laterite with flourite, not to mention the other stuff. I would just go pure flourite.
@Lee - the flourite is supposed to contain enough iron, but when comparing it to the other substrates i see that the iron content wasn't actually that high, so it cant hurt to add laterite... see this link

as for the peat plates, i will be moving the discus out my 20g and getting a couple more so i want my water soft as possible...

and i am still debating with myself about the volcanic rock dust, it is really high in minerals, i figured it would be a good substitute for ada power sand, and i would only use half a cup or so, but i am still thinking about it...

post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Banned

PTrader: (40/100%)
Send a message via AIM to deleted_user_16
thats a mad tank!!!!!
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
i like the tank, i hope it is glass for your sake, but i doubt it from the curved corners.

wow, lots of variety in your substrate.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
i like the tank, i hope it is glass for your sake, but i doubt it from the curved corners.

wow, lots of variety in your substrate.
it says curved glass on their website, and the smaller tank i have is glass, and it sure looks and feels like glass...

post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

forgot to post a pic of my co2 system coz it was in one of the tank cupboards....

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

first pics, crappy cellphone cam...

lets see, swords and cabomba are temporary until i get some new plants i have ordered including some hc for a carpet.

Tank Specs

Height 20"
Length 39"
Depth 16"
50 US Gallons

Lighting
3*29w t5 plant pro arcadia's with reflectors
87w*1.5/50=2.6wpg

CO2
sera CO2 fertilization system
http://www.sera.de/index.php?id=113&L=1

Substrate
seachem flourite with peat plates, some laterite and volcanic rock dust

wood
some imported pieces, i am still looking for some nice rocks..

plants
anubias, cabomba cuttings from my 20g - which have gone crazy with the bright lights and co2, alternanthera reineckii - which has really reddened up, hardly any green leaves and swords - pearling from the edges

fish
18 rummy nose tetra's - these little guys are adorable little schoolers

the water has been in there about three weeks, had some cabomba and hydrocotyle leucocephala cuttings in there cycling the water. i got the rest of the plants two weeks ago, and the anubias, driftwood and fish this last weekend. the water is cloudy from adding the driftwood and planting the anubias, flourite - damn it clouds the water nitrates, nitrites and ammonia all read zero before i added the fish.

i am using the built in filter in the hood, which basically consists of that ugly grew powerhead and water from the spraybar spraying ceramic rings on filter floss, i am waiting to get an eheim to clean things up a bit, the less equipment in the tank the better. once i have the correct filter i will add the discus and clown loaches from my 20g and get 3 or 4 more discus.

after i get some real plants i will do some scaping and i still need to get a dark background, i should have got that before i filled the tank

plants ordered:

Alternanthera rosarfolia x2
Limnophila aromatica x2
Limnophila aromatica "red" x2
Heteranthera zosterifolia/Stargrass x3
Marsilea quadrifolia x2
Amannia gracilis x2
Rotala wallichii x2
Microsorium pteropus (Windelov) x2
Ludwigia sp from Cuba x2
Microsorium pteropus ssp. (narrow) x3
Hemianthus callitrichoides (4x4cm) x5

comments please...

edit: the tank went crazy with hair algae after the first cabaomba cuttings i added didnt grow, coz the timer switch that turned the lights on broke, i just left it, it was actually quite pretty, it was such a huge plant mass of bright green and browns, i figured it was cycling the water better than the cabomba would, when i was ready to add more cabomba and some hydrocotyle, i just twirled it all around a twig and pulled it out, it hasnt come back, and so far no other algae, i have also been dosing flourish excel, but if the algae stays away i will stop and see what happens.

post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-03-2008, 09:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearsbunnyslippers View Post
and i still need to get a dark background, i should have got that before i filled the tank
Been there and done that before. I will NEVER make that mistake again.

BTW, tank is looking good.

210 g - Empty right now
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 05:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
very nicely done

post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 06-04-2008, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

@mikes - i will make my next water change a 50% one and hopefully then i will be able to move my tank away from the wall a bit... one of those DOH!!! moments

@chonhzilla - thanks man!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode