Opinions on hardscape - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Opinions on hardscape

I'm setting up my low-tech CRS tank in a week or two and decided to play around with the hardscape a bit today. My intentions are to cater to the shrimp, first and foremost, all while creating a pleasant aquascape that would looks neat sitting on a desk. But first some info...

Tank: AGA 15g 24x12x12
Substrate: Amazonia II
Filtration: Aquaclear 50 w/prefilter
Heater: Stealth 50w
Lighting: Coralife T5 (2x15w)
CO2: DIY Jello method through Rhinox diffuser

I had anticipated a high-tech setup all the while thinking about the final scape for this tank, but my recent fascination with CRS essentially ruled out that idea. Now I'm playing with 2wpg, DIY CO2, and little, if any, ferts. With that in mind, I went to work on the hardscape.

The first scape is dependent on my ability to grow Glosso, as I've all but ruled out HC. The driftwood in concentrated to one side of the tank with branches extending on what would be a carpet of plants.

The second is your typical explosion-in-the-center layout.

Xmas or flame moss will line a fair amount of the driftwood, and anubias petite will surround the base of the driftwood, but other than that, I'm stuck. Anyone care to offer suggestions for either layout, as far as plant selection goes? I'm leaning toward the second layout at this point. Sorry fo the crappy pictures. I had to use my camera phone as the digital was MIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (16/100%)
I think the first pic looks better.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:24 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
i like number 3

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:41 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via Skype™ to fish-aholic
The first one is better. Would look great w/t something like flame moss on the branches and a glossso carpet also some riccia somewhere. Why not HC?

Ehfipimp #277

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I'm leaning toward a glosso carpet, but not sure if my lighting/CO2/fert situation will sustain it. HC is ruled out as I'm sure my low-tech setup won't allow for adequate growth. Any input on the glosso situation?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 01:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
number one definately, add a black background, plant HC, add a few low rosettes in the back and it will be B-E-A-UTIFUL

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 01:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Do you think I'll have a chance growing HC with ~2wpg and no ferts?

It was suggested on another board that ditching the DIY CO2 and dosing Excel in its place would be the safer alternative. ANy input here as well?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

I am for #1 as well
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tainted Glory View Post
Do you think I'll have a chance growing HC with ~2wpg and no ferts?

It was suggested on another board that ditching the DIY CO2 and dosing Excel in its place would be the safer alternative. ANy input here as well?
Opinion on HC~ HC would need the supplemental CO2 to keep algae at bay. Just keep the main fertilizers(N-P-K) at aconstant and it should do well.

post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 05:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via AIM to resowner92
the excel method works thats what i have been doing and i ditched my diy co2

Neil

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 05:52 AM
Algae Grower

I think number 1 would look awesome with some narrow leaf java ferrn and some stems at the back of it. Moss??

Then a nice open foreground of glosso/HC.

For all you Aussies!

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 10:16 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (7/100%)
Send a message via AIM to jimjimson Send a message via MSN to jimjimson Send a message via Yahoo to jimjimson
that's a cute towel you have there

... and #1 is much better in my opinion.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by resowner92 View Post
the excel method works thats what i have been doing and i ditched my diy co2
it works but its not nearly as healthy. a lot of plants wont survive on JUST excel. i usually use it in combination with DIY, or just pressurized with a ph controller.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
#1, but back if off the side and back glass 1/2" inch or so.

Why not use Marsilia quad. or minutia, dwarf hairgrass, or e. tennellus 'micro'? Those are all much better candidates for low tech carpets, IMHO.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-22-2008, 04:41 AM
Planted Member

i like #1 as well...love the look of that driftwood too...where do you find ones look this nice of pieces...been looking for one i can use for my upcoming shrimp moss tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode