Before plants my life was Tangy! *56kwarning* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:18 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (3/71%)
Before plants my life was Tangy! *56kwarning*

I'm new to planted tanks and I'm really loving it. But before I started this hobby my life was full of zing, and zest... you could say it was TANGY!

It's really odd for me with this planted tank fad I'm going through. Before I considered myself an expert in my hobby. Also someone who's advice should be appreciated! But now it's backwards! I am a newb once again and I look forward to mastering this niche in the hobby as I mastered my love of all loves. Tanganyikans!

Here are some photos of my beloved Tangs! Some pics are really bad but... oh well.

Altolamprologus Calvus "livua" Wild adults

Altolamprologus Compressiceps "Gold head" Male

Cyprichromis leptosoma "chituta" wild males

Fry from the above fish

Neolamprologus Occelatus "gold"

'Lamprologus' Brevis

Xenotilapia Melanogenys AKA Enantiopus melanogenys "zambia" Wild adults

Paracyprichromis niggripinnis Wild male

Julidochriomis Regani "magara" wild female

Cyprichromis SP. jumbo "Kitumba" Wild male

'Lamprologus' multifasciatus

'Lamprologu's speciosus

Neolamprologus Brichardi

Tropheus Moorii "Kiku" male

Eretmodus cyanostictus "blue spot" wild pair

Paracyprichromis Brieni sp velifer "kitumba" wild adults and subadults

Asprotilapia Leptura wild adults

Julidochromis marlieri "gombe" wild adults

Some of the photo credits go to my friend John Cowan.

Last edited by Fishonthebrain; 03-12-2008 at 01:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
All I can say is ... "WOW!!!!"!!!!!

I can definitely understand how you feel. I'm trying to get into malawi cichlids right now and I'm clueless.

That is quite an incredible tang collection, you are borderline to opening your own fish store.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

Tee hee thats not all... photobucket went down in the middle of my post

But SADLY!!! SADLY SADLY SADLY All of those babies have new homes now.

We moved and I had to be torn from my babies... One tank is all I'm allowed now so I went planted I figured this is the best bang for my buck!

***Edit ...

Honestly I think every single day about adding a canister full of crushed coral and limestone and putting Tangs in the tank anyways!

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:30 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Beautiful specimens and photos.

I've kept quite few of them in the past myself.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:38 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Fish- you absolutely have to put all those into the Fish Profiles! I know alot of them aren't there (yet)...

PS I swear I know you from somewhere but I haven't figured it out yet...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx© View Post
Beautiful specimens and photos.

I've kept quite few of them in the past myself.
Tanks jinx!

There is only ONE Tanganyikan I would rip my tank up for and make it a bare sand liquid rock sanctuary once again ...

and that is Xenotilapia Papilio "Tembwe duex"

Ive been trying to buy some for 4 years. I got close once and was second in line for fry but I wasn't fast enough!

*Ill update my collection as soon as photobucket recovers
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
Fish- you absolutely have to put all those into the Fish Profiles! I know alot of them aren't there (yet)...

PS I swear I know you from somewhere but I haven't figured it out yet...
If the admin would like I would be happy to put together info and pics for many tang species for the profiles!

As well as breeding info... I will boast and state my record that I never kept a cichlid I have not spawned!

Tee Hee

(edit- i am on a TON of forums. cichlid-forum, cichlidforums, africancichlidforums, mosterfishkeepers, lots of salt sites, etc)
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:47 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Everyone's free to submit Fish Profiles, then KyleT and/or the staff review them and post them. Everyone's also free to add comments to Profiles already in existence. I think it's a pretty cool system!

Tropical Resources, maybe?

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:49 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Everyone's free to submit Fish Profiles, then KyleT and/or the staff review them and post them. Everyone's also free to add comments to Profiles already in existence. I think it's a pretty cool system!

Tropical Resources, maybe?
So I just submit pictures and info, then they review/post it? Do I get credit?

Nope not tropical resources...

***Edit wait let me go there and see because I am on so many sites there is no telling!
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Agreed. Although many might not consider them for full blown planted tanks, they would be worthy additions to the Profiles section.

Maybe add some of your experience's with each species and their behavior with live plants. (I see quite a few in some of the photos)

I personally never kept plants with mine so I don't have much input there.

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx© View Post

Maybe add some of your experience's with each species and their behavior with live plants. (I see quite a few in some of the photos)

I personally never kept plants with mine so I don't have much input there.
LOL

Tangs off all types excluding tropheus sp and sometimes not even them, have NEVER bothered my plants. If anything The water you have to keep tangs in is what hurts the plants!

But when you keep tangs they are so expensive the plants you can afford are cheap and there only purpose (at least for me) was helping the water quality.

Plants I kept with all of the above fish (including tropheus and eretmodus) were Anubias -nana, barteri, coffeefolia, and petitie. Java ferns narrow and regular, vallisneria americana and spiralis, and cabomba.

My water for my wild tangs was basically liquid rock. PH above 9 and GH and KH in the hundreds...

The main reason IMO that any plant survived was the fry food 5xs daily. Just about every tank I had plants in also had fry. I feed my fry 5-6 times a day. This was the only fert introduced into any of my tanks.

Also lighiting was um... can I cuss here? It was BS. On my 125 gallon I had 40 watts of flourescent light I think at 10k. Ph 9-9.5 and GH and KH I don't even want to tell you guys... but I had Vall americana, Java fern, and anubias nana in there. Growing not just surviving...
post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:57 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

Fish- yep you'd get credit. I even got a few in there myself (I was really surprised some common fish weren't listed; tiger barbs, cherry barbs, angel synods, etc... It's kinda fun. I need to do some more. I think I see it as my responsibility to make sure at least every fish I've ever kept eventually gets in there... (this might take a while, 25+ years' worth LOL)

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 06:59 AM
Fresh Fish Freak

The rest of the plants don't surprise me, but cabomba does? Maybe that's b/c for some reason it's never liked my tanks so far...

post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
The rest of the plants don't surprise me, but cabomba does? Maybe that's b/c for some reason it's never liked my tanks so far...
Yeah its odd... you can see it in a few pics... the stuff was truely a WEED. And I'm talking 55 gallon tank 24 watts of light and liquid rock water...

LOL! It's amazing what ignoring a plant and giving it fry food does!!!
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-12-2008, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishonthebrain View Post
Yeah its odd... you can see it in a few pics... the stuff was truely a WEED. And I'm talking 55 gallon tank 24 watts of light and liquid rock water...

LOL! It's amazing what ignoring a plant and giving it fry food does!!!
I'm having a bit of a blonde moment and doubting if this is cobomba... but this plant is rooted in crushed coral, oyster shell and beach shells in this pic...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode