13g Aqueon Widescreen - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-18-2014, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
13g Aqueon Widescreen

I found the tank kit at Petco on sale for less than $30. It came with a decent HOB, a crappy hood with LEDs, and a cheap heater. I put bio-max and floss in the HOB works perfectly. I got a Fluval LED Plant light and a Ehiem Heater. I spent a month researching dirt tanks before I gave up and went with Eco-complete which I love. I found a nice piece of mopani I boiled for hrs to get rid of tannins and a plastic tree root that didn't look to bad. For plants I went to Dustin's fishtank and got a beginner combo. I knew I didn't want to fool with co2. It was Jungle val, dwarf sag, anubias, java fern, rotala and java moss. I went to Peabody a couple of weeks later and got crypt wendtii and parva, and then back to petco for telanthera in the tissue cultured pack. I got the whole line of flourish to fert with, And then I waited a couple of weeks longer to settle the tank and let it cycle. In Feb I got 8 neons an oto and 8 red cherry shrimp that were at least AA grade. I also got some anacharis which apparently had snails, which led to LOTS of snails. So then came the 2 assassin snails that haven't put a dent in the snail pop. I ordered 10 more rcs from the shrimp farm because the ones I had were so cute. And then I got the water test strips, I know I'm an idiot but the water at my old house was well water and really good quality. I'm in the country here but on city water. My tap water params are terrible. Ph is high nearly 8 and my TDS were 465. Gh and Kh were fairly fine. I over think everything and panic easily so I wasn't sure what to do. Got good advice here and made major changes. My plants exploded. I just did a total makeover of plants and took out the plastic and replaced it with another piece of mopani. I took the RCS out and gave them their own tank and added my very quiet Black Orchid crowntail Beta. He and the neons get along really well. Now I just need to get rid of the mystery snails. These are my before and after pictures.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_____140116_0001.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	306858  

Click image for larger version

Name:	140406_0003.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	306866  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesage View Post
I found the tank kit at Petco on sale for less than $30.
I knew I didn't want to fool with co2. It was Jungle val, dwarf sag, anubias, java fern, rotala and java moss. I went to Peabody a couple of weeks later and got crypt wendtii and parva, and then back to petco for telanthera in the tissue cultured pack
Great start! Love the background. What is it?

Telanthera needs a Co2 alterantive. Thus don't think it will fit with your low tech scheme.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode