my newest 75g peninsula build - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
my newest 75g peninsula build

Here I go again.........another 75 gallon. This time it's a peninsula build in between the kitchen and dining area. The better half wanted a tank with tetras, specifically a couple large schools.

So it begins........

The cabinet was taken apart and rebuilt using 2x3's to beef it up for the tank and to add a seating area for staring at the tank(or eating too).

And 3 weeks in........

Tank specs:
75g Aqueon tank
2x T8 standard light fixtures for now
Rena xp3 filter
Fluval 300w heater
substrate: Mgopm capped with Saf-t-sorb
hardscape: driftwood and rocks

Flora:
Cryptocoryne wendtii 'Brown'
Cryptocoryne crispatula 'Balansae'
Ludwigia repens
Pogostemon helferi
Lobelia cardinalis
Alternanthera reineckii
Nymphaea pubescens
and algae of course

Fauna:
20 glowlight tetras
6 peppered cories

any suggestions?
a link to a slide show of the progression http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/sa...20tetra%20tank

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 04:16 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Nice!

Are you going to keep this one low tech?

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2014, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

All my tanks are low tech. I like the low maintenance aspect of it. I have a love/hate thing with algae, but I keep up so it doesn't get to be to much of a problem.
I still have plans for a canopy over this one with some better lighting.As of right now plants seem to be doing great with what I have for lights. The tank does get some early morning sun through the patio doors. Gonna make for some interesting battles with algae, but I will prevail.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 04:29 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

4 week update ......added 20 glowlight tetras and 6 peppered cories.

Everything is growing good. Still planning out a canopy and lights. Any suggestions, criticisms, or comments to help make this better are welcomed.

post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 05:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Needs more plants :P

but in all seriousness, I like this

May I make a fish suggestion though? Keeping in theme with small tetras, I think you should go for some candy cane tetras and maybe some green neons/cardinals...emperor tetras are also really nice, as are congos but they get big and might look funky with the small guys.....yellow tail congos are smaller though and might be cool

also, idk how you feel about vallisneria, but I like tiger val for the look, so that might be something worth looking into as far as a plant, and of course, madagascar lace, other apongetons, other swords....I like big plants it seems :P

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 07:13 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
nice tank indeed!

since it's a peninsula tank, imo, i'd also consider some of the more colorful tetras hh has pointed out. embers, blue emperor tetras, even neons, might give you a little more bang for the buck color-wise. again, jmo.

thanks,
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the suggestions. I like the fish options you guys have thrown out there. Candy canes are neat but they are on the larger side of the size scale for tetras. To large for the look the support staff has in mind . I think she has her mind set on lemon tetras as the second school. Size wise they are about right, with enough of a body shape difference to contrast well. I don't think they will show their best colors though in this tank. Maybe 15-20 diamond tetras? or silver tips?
I would love to go with congos, they are regal looking tetras. But I am trying to let her choose without too much influence from me. I've been doing my best to be supportive of her ideas (this is how I get more tanks ).
As for more plants, I agree on that, I'm letting everything kind of settle into place right now. More plants are gonna make their way in for sure. The Madagascar lace is a great idea, have one in another tank that I might move. Vals would work to help hide the filter stuff and heater, Corkscrew vals.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
Lemon tetras are great, but honestly candy cane is the same size. Congo's are the huge ones. And I guess black skirts lol

Black neons are cool as well, maybe hatchet fish? If you wanted small I'm in love with my embers now as well.

Albino neons would be cool too, just because you never see them.

Show your wife a bunch of different fish pics, she might like things she's never heard of ya know?

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 06:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Ember tetras are a nice suggestion. Personally, I think a group of Harlequin rasboras would also look very nice if your wife is willing to think outside the "tetra" box. I think they'd look good with the glowlight tetras that you already have.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Always liked the idea of a peninsula. nice!
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 02:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Looking good, can't wait to see this one fill in!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 07:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Nice looking tank. Gonna look awesome once it has time to fill in!

RAOK Club #24
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 12:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (29/100%)
Update?
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-25-2014, 02:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (19/100%)
Lemon tetras are going to dwarf those glowlights when fully grown. Neons may seem cliche to some people, but they are roughly the same size as glowlights and they actually school together, ive kept them together before. Another nice one is the pristella tetra (Pristella maxillaris). Silver body but has black white and yellow in the fins and the tail fin gets reddish. Ember tetras are pretty, more solitary in nature though with dominant individuals running things. Let us not forget rummynose tetras, Hemigrammus bleheri happens to be my favorite of the three.

If you end up going the rasbora route Trigonostigma hengeli, espei, or heteromorpha cant be beat on account of great schooling and colors. Good luck!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 05-11-2014, 02:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

This tank has sat idling away for nearly 3 weeks without any maintenance due to my work schedule. So today I'm going to clean it up and possibly add some more plants. I will post up pictures later today.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode