Low Tech 5.5 For a Plant Newbie - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Low Tech 5.5 For a Plant Newbie

I have dipped my toes into the realm of planted tanks in the past, but never seriously. I've decided to actually work with a low tech, small setup in my new apartment. Ideas and critiques welcome.

Hardware:
5.5 Gallon aquarium
Azoo Palm filter
Old heater I've had for years
Frankensteined LED lights from two different stock kit hoods
Flourite black sand
Stone Buddha head
Malaysian driftwood

Plants:
3 Crypt Wendtii
1 Anubias Barterii
Dwarf chain sword

Fauna:
Male betta
3 horned nerites

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 07:58 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
Looks like a good start! My first plants were also anubias and crypt wentii green. As the crypts get bigger you can pull them up and seperate them. There will be about 5-10 plants per bundle and that's how they propagate.

The only thing I'd suggest is either osmocote tabs (maybe get from a forum member) or some seachem root tabs. I've never had good luck personally from the API ones. I get the Seachem root tabs if I'm at the store. Lately I found Osmocote+ at my local hardware store so I went to a vitamin shoppe and got a package of 100 gel tablets (size 00) and made my own. $15 and I have enough to make enough to last me a very long time.

Don't be surprised if your chain sword does well that it'll send out lots of babies. The runners are easy to clip off and replant if they grow in an area you don't want them to be in. Also very easy to remove extra plantlets. From 1 plant the size of yours, I now have a full front section of my 46 full.

Another cheap idea I figure I'd throw your way is that the next time you're at a store with a craft/school supply section is to get a single piece of poster board and cut it to fit your tank. tape to the top and bottom corners and Presto! cheap black background. I did this with my 5.5 till I took it out and ruined it and never replaced it. I liked it when I had it there though.

Hope this was helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 03:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks. I actually have Seachem root tabs ordered. They should be here by the end of the week. As for background, my dad does car detailing and I'm getting essentially a free vinyl back cling next time I'm there. I just need to find time to visit. I look forward to propogating my plants. I have all the makings of a Walstad bowl for my window desk when that happens.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-09-2014, 04:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Tank looks great.

Speaking of car detailing, back in the day, I use to use limo tint for all my tank backgrounds. I think I'm going to try it on my next set up lol

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode