Leaf Litter Theme - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Leaf Litter Theme

All My Plants Arrived this morning and i just finished replanting the tank after 3 hours.

I boiled a bag of 30 Almond Leaves for 1/2 hour kept the water full of rich almond goodness, to use as a conditioner for fighters and gouramis.
Then Slowly Layed them out on the gravel.

The spent an hour putting together the Vallis bunches and deciding where the plants were going to go.

The Fish love it and have been exploring all the new plants non stop.

Ohh and Also some shots of my new Find - Another Tailess Angel, But it looks like it has been bitten off as the edges are very rough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:47 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
should look pretty cool when it's more aged.
I think you have some mondo grass(terrestrial) there in the tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 07:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
i like your pearl gourami

the leaf litter looks a little unnatural, it looks like it would be somewhere dark (due to shade from trees which grew and droped the leaves) and full of branches/driftwood (from the same trees) which may have some moss or anubias or ferns, but few plants.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:01 PM
Algae Grower

Forgive me, newB here, what is the purpose of the almond leaves?

Thanks,
Scot
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post

the leaf litter looks a little unnatural, it looks like it would be somewhere dark (due to shade from trees which grew and droped the leaves) and full of branches/driftwood (from the same trees) which may have some moss or anubias or ferns, but few plants.
i agree with this assessment. this could be a really cool theme, but i would also suggest getting some more leaves, cutting down the light and pulling much of the greenery to get a more sparse planting.

i would be especially-inclined to jettison the more gawdy plants, especially that variegated thing and the red stuff. a few of those vals in the background would look good scattered around within the leaf litter.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:16 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by samckitt View Post
Forgive me, newB here, what is the purpose of the almond leaves?
Almond leaves will add tannins (organic acids) to the water and some say it has medicinal purposes to keep the fishes healthy..

----

Once there's tannin in the tank, it should look more natural.. Maybe break up the big leave up a bit and maybe have a black background.

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
nice fish!
I agree w/crabcake & marko. More leaves. More driftwood. Less plants. Less light. Something more like this perhaps:
http://www.algorhythmz.com/images/rack/Apisto-tank.jpg
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Thanks for all the Impu Guys. This will evolve in time. bu this is just the 1st Scape.
there is not much lighting in the tank, just 1 tube.
I am growing some floating plants to add more shade and make shaded areas.
I will remove the mondo grass, was suspicous when adding it that it looked terrestrial.
I have loads of Bogwood and twigs that i can add. but wanted to have all the plants in the back and have tons of open swimming space.
i might add some of the Almond water to darken the tank soem more and see how that looks.

1 thing though, I am not sure about Tanins and Bumblebbe Shrimp and Chery shrimp. these are arriving soon.

post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (208/100%)
Yes, more floating plants will definitely help. Good call.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

most shrimp shouldnt mind, they like acidic water (around 6.5 i think).

and thats a good idea with floating plants, nitrate removal with a natural look. duckweed would work great (since it is very common in forests and would look natural), but be sure you want it there first because once its in the tank, it stays in the tank.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 09:15 PM

Nymphoides sp. lilies would also work great. N. indica grows well under aquarium light and it also produces very pretty flowers. the leaf stems of that plant would look cool emerging up through the leaf litter.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 09:26 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post

Crazy as it may seem, many bodies of water are flowing and carry things from one place to another. Leaves float for quite a while and can journey hundreds, even thousands of miles from their original location. Just food for thought.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

yep, but the floating ones arent the ones on the substrate
lol i know, i know, it takes time for them to sink (but they wouldnt get thousands of miles, maybe a hundred max. any river strong enough to move that fast would have rapids to strong for the leaves to stay floating).

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've added 1 litre of Almond Leaves Water and the tank is alot darker now, loads of tannins came out of the leaves.
I don't think Tannins would affect Guppies/Endlers would it, as a few of the males/females are gasping at the sruface.

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-22-2008, 06:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Guppies and endlers are black water fish, so they don't mind tannins, but a rapid change in pH could affect them.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode