So, I've been slowly gathering materials over the last couple of months and this weekend I finally started the preparation on this tank. I've had a several 20g tanks and a couple nano shrimp tanks since I joined the forum two or three years ago. This is my first attempt at a dirt tank and I decided I was going to go the extra mile with this one...so here's the plan:
- 38 gallon glass tank (36"x12"x20")
- Substrate: 1" mineralized top soil (AaronT's recipe), 1-2" gravel cap
- Filtration: Fluval AC 70 (mechanical/biological only - removing carbon insert, replacing with another sponge)
- Lighting: Coralife 36" Aqualight 2x39w T5 HO bulbs
- Flora: Amazon Swords, Various Crypts, Bacopa, Rotala, Dwarf Sag, Java Ferns, Hornwort, Various floaters, more that I can't identify. I'm acquiring as many different species of plants as I can. Once the tank is up I'll post pics and go about identifying everything. HUGE thanks to gobluewolverines4, crice8, gparr, genocdex, and pink4miss for their generous contributions to my flora
You guys are the best.
- Fauna: Undecided
So, this weekend I started prep. Painting the back glass with some Satin Black spray paint. Here's the first coat:
Started AaronT's mineralization process. Got a cheap bag of topsoil from Lowe's per his instructions. After the first soak and drain:
Bought a bag of natural deco stone from Home Depot. I think it's too big to use as my cap, but I'm separating out the biggest stones and I'm going to use them for accenting.
That's where I am for now. I'm taking 10 days off work starting this Friday and I'll be updating this thread as the tank goes up. Any suggestions on the fauna would be very appreciated as I'm completely undecided. Wish me luck!