JG's 40G breeder (Retired 5.8.10) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
JG's 40G breeder (Retired 5.8.10)

Humble Beginnings:

Well a local gent who bought out several fish store closeouts was/is liquidating tanks so I was able to get a 40G breeder for $40. I had already been considering setting up one but this was all the excuse I needed to get another tank project going in the house.
The wife picked it up after a wildlife expo and trucked it 3 hours back home. Thanks babe!
This will be a slow going project. I'm using monthly funds from quitting smoking to buy all the equipment, scape materials, and probably stock too.
I'm already 2 months in so I still have some left for a stand that I may pick up today.

So here she is in all her glory:

Got a little work to do removing the painted backing/cleaning off deposits. The silicone for the most part looks to be in decent shape except for a few spots. And I didn't find out it was drilled with the 1 inch overflow until about 15 minutes before pickup... its easy enough to deal with though, at lest it has a bulkhead installed already. Considering either just capping it off or possibly plumbing the filter return into it. Not really decided yet... gotta make sure this puppy holds water first. :P

Equipment still needed:
Rena XP2
small powerhead for additional circulation
Hydor 200w in-line
Current Nova Extreme 2x24W (already have this but may sell and go a little higher light)
ADA aquascaping goodies
possibly lilly pipes (depending on if I incorporate the overflow)

Planning on this being a low light moss/anubis/crypt kind of tank for community fish and CDP breeding. Been banging around stocking ideas in a thread over in the "fish" section.

I think thats it for now... I know some folks only like to show tanks in their "final" form but I love starting from scratch and showing all the ugly stuff along the way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by MrJG; 05-11-2010 at 03:50 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 10:38 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So I posted this morning with no intention of doing anything today... well it was just too nice out. Its still 64F and its almost 6:30 in the evening. Gotta love the southern weather. After riding with a buddy to pick out some bat houses I started having a few and decided to go ahead and have at cleaning up the tank.
It didn't take too much to whip it into shape and I managed to test fill it for a while... don't worry its level and all four sides are touching all the way. :P
Gonna bleach it out a few more times to kill anything that could have been present and rinse it like a madman. The paint ended up being latex and most of it peeled right off. It took a little more detail work to get the over-spray off of the plastic rim. There is only one >tiny< spot that I couldn't manage to get off of the front glass... it looks like a spot of rust or something.

I had a random 1.25 inch PVC cap laying around that I just barely managed to get on the bulkhead enough to test using some teflon tape. The threading is obviously different. I'd love to hear any thoughts about plumbing either the intake or return there or should I just skip it and plug it... the way I figure it the tank is drilled already why not use that to my advantage?

I also snagged a stand today made for up to 80 gallon tanks (50x20x30). Might set that up tomorrow depending on how lazy I want to be.

Cheers

post #3 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 PM
The Circumloctioner

PTrader: (37/100%)
Wow! Looks like it cleaned up great!

No Pimp Club.

post #4 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 11:40 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
wow, what a big difference after cleaning it up !
post #5 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-16-2008, 11:59 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks guys. I'm quite happy also with how well it cleaned up... I'm sure the wife will be too.

post #6 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJG View Post
So I posted this morning with no intention of doing anything today... well it was just too nice out. Its still 64F and its almost 6:30 in the evening. Gotta love the southern weather.
Very funny..just had to rub it in didn't you...
post #7 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

lol! Sorry bout that Cwhite, the weather makes up for itself in the summer time when its 90F and 85% humidity.

Since this got brought back up I have a little dilemma... I should probably post this in the equipment section to have a better chance for suggestions.

The hole in the tank is 2 inches. The bulkhead that is there already is 1 1/4 inches inner diameter. I'm struggling with the idea of capping it off or feeding the intake side of the filter from there.

I was looking at some of DiabloCanine's excellent threads last night where he's drilled and fitted the intake and return to ports. Looks like almost all of his hardware came from marinedepot.com.... which I glared at for waay too long last night.

To do the intake idea I need 4 parts since I have to step down the sizing.

1" double threaded bulkhead made to fit a 1 3/4" hole
Threaded overflow strainer 1"

Of course with the 1" coming out I need to step that down to 3/4 to match the 5/8 tubing from the XP2 as closely as possible.
Bushing Fitting - 1 inch MPT x 3/4 inch FPT
Then the 3/4 barbed elbow for the intake hose.
Insert Elbow Fitting - 3/4 inch MPT x 3/4 inch Insert

I *think* I got that right. Everything hinges on whether or not the 1" bulkhead thats made to fit in a 1 3/4" hole will fit in the 2" hole and make the seal. 1/4 inch is quite a difference but I know the flange portion of the bulkhead is quite a bit larger than the inner diameter. To get anything larger diameter wise it jumps to a schedule 80 fitting which is a good bit more bulky. This is where I could could use some experienced advice. Will this work?

Looking at all the cool plumbing on peoples threads make me itch to try this. Along with indiboi's nice and simple semi-auto water change hookups I'm also considering trying to duplicate Diablocanine's heater/co2 manifold for the output side.

Looks like my simple idea for a new tank setup is starting to morph a bit...

post #8 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 01:47 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
I think you might be better off using the bulkhead spot as the return as you were originally planning. If you have the intake strainer that high in the tank you'll likely get a large buildup of detritis on the bottom of the tank. You could use that modular loc line stuff to make a return.

Also, why not go with the XP3 instead of the XP2 and powerhead combo? I have an XP3 on my 90-P, which is roughly the same dimensions and it's plenty of flow by itself and cuts down on equipment in the tank.

You'll definitely want to upgrade the lights to at least 2 x 39 watt T5HO as well, even for the lower light setup you want.

Congrats on the find. I've been scouring for a deal like this in my area for a little while now.

In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
post #9 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

AaronT: thanks for the advice. I've now had multiple folks recommend going with the larger canister so I'll certainly be on the lookout for deals on the xp3.

As far as the lighting goes... like I said above the original idea is morphing a bit. Thinking of using a 2x54w T5HO in addition to the 48W and doing pressurized co2 now.

I'm not in a huge hurry to get running so I want to take my time and do everything nice and neat the first time. I'm concentrating on figuring out the plumbing first.

Even using the port as a return I still have the same question regarding the bulkhead fitting in the hole and maintaining a seal. I know the bulkhead is only a $7 part but if I'm going to do this I'd like to order everything at once to save a bit on the shipping.

post #10 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:17 PM
Collectoritis Patient

PTrader: (203/100%)
A decent LFS should have all of the bulkhead fittings. It's nice to get those in person to see how it all fits together. Take it from someone who tried to order all the plumbing supplies they needed online and came up short by one part. Doh!

The 2 x 54 watt fixture is too long for a 40 breeder. Why not just use the 2 x 39 watt, which is closest to 36" long?

In the D.C., Maryland, or NOVA area? Come check out The Greater Washington Aquatic Plants Association!
post #11 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Current USA Nova Extreme 36" 2x54W T-5 is what I was looking at... didn't realize that its not the HO model. The 2x54W HO is indeed 48 inches long. Thanks for the heads up. doh! Combo-ing up the 48W I have with the 2x39W will give me right around 3 wpg of HO goodness. I'm sure that would be fine given the depth of the tank.

Is it just me or did the prices jump an amazing amount on these nova extreme fixtures recently? Actually nevermind that... went back to the original place I got my 2x24w extreme and the prices are in line. Just seems odd that one major online retailer has the same fixture for $110 more than another!! Yikes.

I'll check with the local place on the plumbing supplies... good grief they price most stuff like it was made of love and pure gold though. Can't hurt to give them a try, it is a fairly nice store.

btw yes work is slow today. :P

post #12 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:38 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
problem with nova extreme fixtures..they have noisy fans.
post #13 of 187 (permalink) Old 02-21-2008, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Gotcha. I think the lower wattage fixtures are not fan cooled so I should be able to avoid the noise issue.

post #14 of 187 (permalink) Old 03-18-2008, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

No snazzy pics yet but parts are starting to flow in...

Got the stand put together and the tank sitting on top. Need to add some shelf liner under the tank and level everything up.

Order from Marine Depot came in with all of the parts to plumb the filter return to the new 1" bulkhead and use a loc-line sprayer.
Got a decent priced brand new XP3 filter from Ganjero here on the Swap & Shop.
A hydor ETH 201 and coralife digital timer is in the way from eBayland.
Tonight I managed to snag a 36" Current Orbit 2x96W PC fixture on eBay for $110 shipped!!! Its used but thats quite alright, I'll have to buy at least one new dual daylight bulb for it. Might even have to buy two but I couldn't pass up the deal. If it was someone on here that I snaked in the last 30 seconds of the auction... sorry 'bout that but all is fair in eBaying. :O I know it seems like a lot of light but I plan on staggering the banks, I learned my lesson last time and decided to get as much wattage as I could up front this time.

I'm thinking of trying to keep things simple and forgo hard plumbing too much to start. I'll go with a traditional glass diffuser for now as opposed to doing a reactor. I like seeing the bubbles.

So I still need the CO2 equipment and a few timers which I'm searching about trying to find decent (dirt cheap) deals on. I've been in no major hurry on this tank and I've gotten some great prices on most stuff so far so I'm going to try to stay patient and wait for the right price.

I'll be waiting until I have all of the hardware before I make my order from ADG for soil/rocks... then driftwood. I'm still going over layout ideas in my head, no sketches or anything but I have a decent handle on how I want to get started.

Hang in there...

Edit: Oh and Aaron I know Charleston is a good ways from Maryland but I know at least one guy drove a u-haul truck down from VA to get quite a number of tanks from the same guy. He's got several storage buildings full of tanks that he bought on auction from stores if you get a group together. I can hook you up with his info if interested. He had 35-50 Gallon breeders, 15-55 G, 11-55G- drilled with overflows and others the last time I saw. Asking close to $1 Gallon on most everything.

post #15 of 187 (permalink) Old 04-20-2008, 07:07 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

decided to not be lazy

I was checking my email this morning when I turned to the tank and pieces all stacked up lying in wait for me to not be lazy... Maybe if I get everything else ready I'll make myself finish buying the pieces needed to get this puppy running.

Everything needed to make the tank function is here already...

So I got busy placing some shelf liner I had lying around underneath and making sure everything was square. Then I did the plumbing followed by the electrical stuff. Its nothing fancy compared to some. Just tried to make everything clean and accessible. Thinking about adding in some quick disconnects in a few places before it really gets going.

Here is a snap of the back. Made sure to have a couple of drip loops and I could probably shorten the intake tubing a bit but I want to test the flow before I cut any more tubing.

A quick shot of the power center, all timers are programmed and running now for a test. The light is a 2x96W PC.
Front bank will run from 1-9 pm daily.
Back bank will run from 5-8 pm daily.
LEDs will run at lights out.
CO2 will come on at ~12:30 pm and shut down at ~8 pm.

Close up of the return, hope it works out ok. depending on flow I might get a "Y" and add another head.

And lastly a fts of where the tank will rest. I'm still trying to figure out what to do about a background... the wood panelling just doesn't do it for looking "natural" haha. It should be fairly apparent also that nothing is leveled yet. My house was built in 1901 so most things around here are less than square. Heh.

Done:
drop checker - trade w/rizoybot thanks dude.
nice glass diffuser - rhinox 2000 on the way thanks tainted glory
CO2 tubing - ordered from rex
fertz - ordered from rex
thermometer - done
new bulb to replace actinic - ordered
ADA dirt - 36 liters ordered today from adgshop
ADA sand - small bag of bright sand from adgshop
stone - cmlaracy chucked me a few rocks in the mail thanks dude

Need:
CO2 tank! -
air pump of some sort for night use... i like aeration
install a GFCI outlet behind the tank
a freakin' python

Need to make a trip to the hardware store and see if I can find some kind of flexible plastic that I can cut/bend and silicone to the bottom to section the tank into "trays". Anybody have something specific that they can recommend?

...till next time

Last edited by MrJG; 04-22-2008 at 02:59 AM. Reason: updating list of needs so my feeble mind will not forget stuff

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode