75 gallon - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (16/100%)
75 gallon

So here goes my first attempt at a 75 gallon, heavily planted tank. I have had many setups in the past, but nothing larger then a 30 gallon mainly due to space constraints. Well, now that I have the space I am jumping into 75g and this is my first jump into CO2 as well.

Here is the setup im working with:
75g tank/stand/glass lids - Criagslist find $75
48" Finnex Ray 2
Fluval 306
Aquatek Premium regulator w/5 lb CO2 tank

Cleaned up from previous owner

CO2 Equipment

Building up the substrate for a hill on the left side

Front view
Built a slope in the rear of the tank as well. This hill will eventually hide the air line and air stone

Added a bunch of driftwood, plants and some water

Filled the tank. Damn playsand or possibly the flourite sand just wasnt rinsed enough. (Or both)

After a few days of the filter running, lights, co2, and some water changes and water clarifier

After a 50 gal water change and some serious sand cleanup (the sand is SUPPOSED to be black....)

I may relocate some plants and I also got some seiryu stone to add in, but am not happy with what I just got from a seller on ebay, so its probably going back. More to come as tank progresses and fish get added

ENJOY!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
You will not regret going co2! It makes a world of difference! It looks like a good beginning. What fertilizor method will you be using? Can't wait to see what you do with the scape.I like the hill idea. Do you think it would be possible to have the barrier be something a little more natural, Like a branch laying down on the side maybe Or perhaps, make your hill a little more natural by making the front side go left and the backside go right. ... Trying to think of how to explain this so I get my message across. Basically, I think your hill would look more natural if you change the starting and ending points from front to back. I'll try to illustrate with keyboard characters: the slashes will be your border rocks.

3333333333333333/@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
333333333333333/@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
33333333333333/@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
333333333333/@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
3333333333/@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
33333333/@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
3333333/@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
333333/@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
33333/@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
33333/@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

Do what you want with the scape, but I think that in the long run you would be happier smoothing out that straight line into something like this, straight lines in the aquarium are sort of distracting.

Also, are you diffusing co2 with an air stone? If so, I would HIGHLY reccomend removing the airstone and getting a glass diffuser. Air stones are not very good at diffusing co2. co2 and normal air are different in their diffusing regards. A glass diffuser will make much smaller bubbles and allow co2 more easily dissolve in the water. Even if you are not using the air stone as a diffuser, I would still remove it. If you're plants are growing well, they will produce more than enough oxygen for your fish.

Good luck with the setup!
Hope all is well,
Joshua

Piano
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-27-2014, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I am using a glass diffuser for the CO2. Substrate has some topsoil in the elevated area to the left, the rest and cap for that is all flourite black sand. Also just picked up some iron at the lfs yesterday. Was kinda going for a look of a cliff overlooking a lower area with smaller rocks. I may add some stone later in the back to change that look but not sure yet. I am not thrilled with the stone I have so I may return it tomorrow

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-01-2014, 01:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Updated pics to come soon, getting a lot of growth from the plants. Also adjusted the filter outflow so I can remove the glass tops. Already removed the top from the right side and those plants seem to be a much brighter green.

Another decent water change this weekend should clear up the rest of the cloudyness. Also added some fish the other day...
8 Cardinals
6 Long-fin Zebras
2 Black striped Angels
3 (forgot exactly which type) Tetras

All healthy, looks like I lost 1 cardinal who was the smallest of the bunch. Found him floating last night.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode