Maiden's 29g "the fringe" RELOADED - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Talking Maiden's 29g "the fringe" RELOADED

Hurray! I just got my plants in from aquabotanics and they are awesome! I ordered Rotala indica, Didiplis diandra, HC, Rotala macrandra, Cyperus helferi, Ludwigia glandulosa, and Blyxa japonica. Every thing came in superb condition, except for the Rotala macrandra, but I understand that it is a VERY delicate plant so no worries, I think it should start to heal soon. Well, since this is a journal, I have to list the equipment, so here it goes:

Lighting: Coralife 1x65w
Filter: Rena XP 1
Heater: Marineland Stealth 150w and maybe another 50w that I have lying around depending on the temperature stability.
CO2: 5lb cylinder w/ Azoo regulator
thermometer: coralife digital
substrate: Eco-complete
lighting time: 2pm to 10pm, so 8 hours right now

Ferts: I haven't made up a dosing schedule, because I really don't know how much of Plantex CSM+B, KNO3 and Mono Potassium Phosphate ( I forget the chemical form of this) I should dose. I have a cool digital gram scaler that I can use also. Can anybody suggest a dosing plan for the plants I have above?

Its late and there are bubbles everywhere so I will get pictures to you tomorrow.

Also, I haven't started dosing ferts or CO2 (need to get the cylinder filled), but will my plants be okay?

thanks

Edit: I also forgot to tell you that I only have 2 bags of eco-complete in there right now as the third bag is sitting in my ten gallon tank, so I need to wash it .

filstar pimp #123

Last edited by ir0n_ma1den; 02-02-2008 at 02:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Everything seems to be going good, except my temperature, its at 71.8F. Is this okay for plants and fish?

Anyways, here are the pictures:

right side

left side

FTS

HC

Cyprus Helferi

I have a question about planting my Cyprus Helferi. When I received it, it was potted in some type of water retaining fiber. I just stuck in in there like that without taking off the fiber. Is that okay, or should I take off the fiber?

thanks

filstar pimp #123
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 07:35 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
You should take the fiber off of the plant very carefully.

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 08:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat7676 View Post
You should take the fiber off of the plant very carefully.
thanks, I just did it. Now I just need to get CO2...

filstar pimp #123
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
That's a safe level of light on that tank, and you have CO2 covered. It's similar to my 30gl which has the 96w aqualight, after a year or so I'm now able to go lean with it and all is well. So I would say a lean EI regime would be sufficient and safe, and a lot easier than testing and running around with a gram scale trying to keep things balanced. You can just follow the typical teaspoon amounts outlined in the EI regime, posted in the 'dosing' sticky that's around here somewhere.

My 30gl has established a lot of waste over time so I can just skimp on water changes and forget about ferts for weeks at a time now... real easy. You can probably do the same thing as the tank matures and turn it into a low maintenance thing if you want.

Definitely make sure to have cO2 going before dosing starts. Keep in mind that you'll likely run into some random CO2 issues as you get setup and used to it, if this is your first canister.

Run the roots under the tap while you remove the fiber (rock wool), way easier.

Tropical fish species and most of the common ones in the hobby are going to need around 79F, unless they're temperate species. I don't know how much 8 degrees will effect plants, some of them prefer colder waters and a lot of them adapt to many regions.

Everything looks pretty good so far, I especially like reading the specs, solid little setup. There's no particular spec that pops out and makes you smack your forehead, like a lot of other ones with 4+ wpg and DIY CO2 etc.

I would personally add a lot more stem plants, at least temporarily for a few months, and try to find some more inconspicuous filter attachments, hide the heater, add background etc.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-01-2008, 10:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks, nice write up

Ya, I think I will stick with the standard EI dosing regime for a 29 gallon tank since I am comfortable with EI dry dosing.

I turned my heater all the way up, and the temperature is at 74.2F right now, so it is rising.

I also need to fill up my CO2 cylinder and get that set up ASAP.

filstar pimp #123
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I have a question about my lighting time, from 2pm to 10pm, or 8 hours. Is 8 hours sufficient lighting for the plants in my aquarium (ex. HC, macrandra, etc). I only have 65w over this tank so I don't know if I need to bump it up to 10 hours or not.

filstar pimp #123
post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
for the start it is fine, but i usually do ten hours. later on you will need ten hours or more. btw i think the macrandra wont stay red in that tank since you only have a bit over 2wpg on a medium sized tank.

you could keep white clouds or gold clouds (i like gold a bit better) in the low 70s if thats the temp you want for the tank.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

my temps are fine now, 78.5F right now, and I can go higher if I want.

filstar pimp #123
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
ok. thats the ideal temp for most fish.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Hurray! I set up my CO2!

like everyone else said, the bubble counter that came with the Fosters and Smith CO2 package is crap (its leaking):

I'll be switching that out as soon as I get materials to build one.

tomorrow I'll be dosing ferts.

filstar pimp #123
post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 06:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

what are these thing coming out of my Cyprus?

are they plantlets?

filstar pimp #123
post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I just counted my bpm and bps:

bpm: 73

bps: about 1 or 2

filstar pimp #123
post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
if you're talking bout the white stringy things, looks like roots to me.

i'd get a drop checker as bps doesn't mean much cause everyone's tank is different.

looking good though. I get my cylinder filled at bars by budd in merrifield. quick and easy. good start. but i'd add some stems and i would have split up the HC more as it would spread quicker. When I planted mine, I did it one stem at a time. It was time consuming as hell, but I think it will pay off.
post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Does petsmart sell drop checkers?

I got my cylinder filled at check-it paintball for only $10.50 and I think I will stick with check-it.

I couldn't even tell what the hell an HC stem was! So I just split it up as carefully as I could and hoped that it wouldn't float to the top.

I would buy more stems, but Centreville Aquarium (3 minutes down the road from me) doesn't have a very good selection of plants right now, and I don't know if I should trust petsmart with plants.

filstar pimp #123

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode