Betta Haven.... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Betta Haven....

Set this up a few weeks ago on my desk at work. It's a 7 inch cube. The resident's name is Groucho.

Betta Haven:

Groucho:

More photos here
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Very nice. I'm sure he loves it. I've never seen Salvinia before, it's really kind of interesting. Does your betta still build bubble nests with all those floating plants in the way?
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 08:55 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
nice. is that a banana plant on the rock to the left?
how heavy is the salvinia? does it sink into the bubble nest or float on it? when my betta built a nest the duckweed stayed right ontop and didnt fall through, i wonder about salvinia.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:27 PM
Pelvicachromis Lover!

PTrader: (34/100%)
I think the plant on the rock to the left is an anubias.

The tank is very nice! I'm sure he'll enjoy his naturalized home. He's a beautiful betta, too!

The salvinia is interesting. Does it or duckweed or any other floating plant affect his ability to breath air from the surface? Does he have to look for an open spot or does he just go wherever he wants and lifts up the plant to get his air?

Vicki Rena Filstar pimp #142 (four XP4s/three XP2s/one XP1) Eheim pimp #301 (Pro II 2128) Victor pimp #27 (VTS-253B-320)

90g -
Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe' 75g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'Lagos Red'

29g -
Pelvicachromis pulcher 'unknown' -- 29g - Pelvicachromis taeniatus 'Moliwe'
5g - RCS colony 2.5g -
Retired
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
good looking tank and betta.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-31-2008, 05:25 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Nice looking tank, should help with the stress levels at work eh?
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 03:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone!

To answer some questions (hopefully all):
-- The plant tied to the rock is Anubias var. Nana
-- Salvinia doesn't cover the surface the same way Duckweed does... It's not as dense and does a LOT of pearling. It spreads much faster too -- I remove a golf ball sized portion of it every day from this tank.
-- There is plenty of open surface among the Salvinia for Groucho to take in air. Though I've noticed that this Betta doesn't really do much of that.
-- Yes, he can still build a bubble nest when he chooses to. Groucho likes to build his nests underneath the Salvinia leaves. He doesn't seem to care that the plants are in the way -- or maybe they're not in his way
-- No, a Betta cannot push healthy Salvinia plants upward. They grow in a chain which simply outweigh the fish. That's part of the reason I've chosen this plant species for floaters -- it takes away the fish's ability to jump out of the tank. Keep in mind this tank has no cover at the moment. Groucho can stick his "nose" up in between the plants to take in air if he wants to, though.

Hope that covered all the questions... If there are more, please feel free to ask
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 11:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

the reason he doesnt take air often is because the water is well aerated so he only needs to suppliment his oxygen only a little bit. if you put him in a stagnant bowl (DONT YOU DARE, THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL) he would surface very often once the O2 was almost used up.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
the reason he doesnt take air often is because the water is well aerated so he only needs to suppliment his oxygen only a little bit. if you put him in a stagnant bowl (DONT YOU DARE, THIS IS HYPOTHETICAL) he would surface very often once the O2 was almost used up.
Yep, knew that But it is good info. for beginners in case any should run across this thread, so thank you for noting that! I hate seeing these poor fish in unfiltered bowls, tanks, containers of any type. There are at least two Betta at my workplace subjected to that treatment They're also in unheated containers, so they REALLY struggle during the winter months when the building is kept at 40 degrees (F) over weekends and holidays... You see the poor fish just laying on the bottom of their "tanks" unable to even move because the water is far too cold.

Funny note on the O2 thing... He attacks the oxygen bubbles given off by the plants 'cause, apparently, he sees his reflection in them How's that for grumpy?
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 01:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

thats bad, unfiltered is ok with daily water changes, unheated is unacceptable.

i think he may mistake them for food, not for a competitor.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by @[email protected] View Post
thats bad, unfiltered is ok with daily water changes, unheated is unacceptable.

i think he may mistake them for food, not for a competitor.
That's what I thought, too. But he doesn't flare out at his food before attacking to eat it. He does flare out at these O2 bubbles, though. It's comical, really
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Banned

The tank looks great, how do you keep the glass so clean?
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 10:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
by the way what filter are you using Fizgig (if any)

"real cars don't have spark plugs"
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-04-2008, 02:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks

The glass just stays clean... The Salvinia really keeps algae at bay. I did add Nerite Snails three days ago to keep algae from taking hold on the Anubias. Other than that, I don't do anything special to keep the glass or anything else clean.

A Whisper Junior filter is used -- external power filter.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 02-07-2008, 04:55 AM
Planted Member

off the subject, but did you get your name from the dark crystal???? the dog was named fizgig???

Destinee

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode