Looking for opinions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (38/100%)
Looking for opinions

Hi all, sorry about the crappy photo and cloudy water, but I just re-scaped. I'm wondering if I should keep or toss the amazon swords on either side of the tank. I am thinking maybe of replacing them with something a little smaller, maybe Crinium natas? A black background will be going up soon, but I just got this tank up so everything is kind of taking some time
Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:39 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Is that a 46 bowfront?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yes, it is, good eyes

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I'd keep one for now and lose one. The scaping is too symmetrical for me; especially with the plant in the middle flanked with the two pieces of wood, but it's what you think that matters. Keep one in getting rid of one would take the focus off center a bit more.

75g 3 T8s 2x OD, XP3, pres. CO2,
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That is a good idea, yes it is pretty symmetrical. I would like to work some crinium natas/anubias nana pettite/vals in there. Is that going to be too squished?
Thanks
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 10:35 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is that wood or rock? It's kind of hard to tell.

As for the scape, yes, it does suffer from an overdose of symmetry. One suggestion would be to remove one of the rocks/pieces of wood. I'd suggest the one on the right, then move the one on the left a bit more toward center. One of the good scaping techniques is to create an optical center about 1/3 of the way in from the left side.

Another possibility would be to create a "slanted trail." I'm using parentheses around that because there's another name that I can't remember at the moment. Basically, you want to create two diagonal, non-perpendicular lines that intersect behind the tank. One line would begin just behind the front left corner and meet the back wall of the tank about a third of the way in from the right. The other would start near the right front corner and meet the back wall a few inches to the right of the other line. Hence they would actually intersect behind the tank. These lines could be created with plants, driftwood, rocks, etc. And they don't have to be unbroken lines. In between the lines you'd want mostly empty space.

In the case of your particular tank, move the right driftwood/rock a bit further right to create one line. Then one on the left would probably just have to rotated a bit to create part of the second line. And then you'd want to move that large Anubias(?) that's smack in the middle. Keep the large plants behind the two lines, and either leave the middle empty or plant foreground plants in it. The idea is to create a slanted trail going off into the distance, which helps to give the illusion of depth.

That's probably a pretty hard-to-follow explanation, but these are two of the easiest to create aquascaping techniques.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

It is wood, two big pieces of driftwood. I could certainly take one of them out and move the anubias. I like the idea of a trail moving back into the tank. I do, however, like lots going on in the tank and tend to like the 'wild' jungle look rather than the amano look. That being said, that is not what I have right now. I would like to work some more plants in there, maybe some red plants...
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
if you want a jungle look plant some HM in a bush in the left front (right before the dw). it gets really thick and looks great for a jungle layout in bushes.

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 11:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Tank specs? IMO, everyone needs to know your tank specs before giving you more plant suggestions.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 02:32 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
swords are too big for that tank throw them away. Get some stems and some ground cover and a better driftwood like some sticks and point them upward or wherever and add some moss and jave lace on it
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Tank is a 46 gallon bowfront, lighting is one 96 watt AH 10000k light on 8-10 hours right now. The reflector is installed for a 55 watt 9325k bulb that is not here yet, once that arrives I will do some tweaking with the light set-up. 1 XP3 canister filter.
Dry ferts ordered soon, for now flourish and flourish excel. Possibly pressurized CO2 but tomorrow I will set up DIY..
Plants--a lot of java fern and anubias, a couple crypts, a ruben sword, microsword, dwarf hairgrass.
I don't want to get rid of both of the pieces of driftwood, I really like the one on the right, it has lots of holes and stuff in it that is cool to look at, I can set it on its end though. I am willing to give up both amazon swords, the more I look at it the more they seem too big in there. I have one large crypt on the right of the tank that I want to keep because I like it a lot, but I want more tall grassy looking plants like Vals and Criniums..
Thanks everyone!
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:31 AM

PTrader: (15/100%)
yes get vals , grass look always looks good in any tank
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 03:56 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I like the swords personally, what I have done with mine in the past, is when they get to tall, cut them down to the gravel almost, and they will grow back fast and fuller, but wont ever get to big, but they will get very lush and full.

Destinee
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 05:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
If you wanted to keep both pieces of driftwood, I'd recommend just shifting them so that they aren't symmetrical. Try to make it off center.

Eheim Pimp #254, Eheim Wolverine #1

Work in progress
10 Gallon Shrimp Tank
10 Gallon Planted QT
20 Gallon Shrimp Tank (Work in progress)

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 11:48 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (96/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishscale View Post
If you wanted to keep both pieces of driftwood, I'd recommend just shifting them so that they aren't symmetrical. Try to make it off center.
This is the ticket! Get rid of symmetry...and odd numbers are always better...

And if I can go one step further... If you kind of stacked (or clumped) the DW to the left or right, cluster the two sword plants behind them as a "backdrop". then spread out from there...

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode