My 360 + 450 liter tanks - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:11 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
My 360 + 450 liter tanks

At first, Im sorry about my poor english.

Well, because Ive been hanging here on this forum for a while, not taking part to topics, I think I should finally introduce my own tanks, and also write here about their progress and stuff. (And please, feel free to give all the critic you want about the look of the tanks, Im missing the decorative eye! )

At the moment I have two tanks in my home: 450 liters (~119 gal) and 360 liters (95 gal)

This is how 450 l looked in December

This is the same tank in its current look:
http://kuvablogi.com/nayta/iso/img873589.jpg

As inhabitants there are
4 x trichopsis pumila
4 x pearl gourami
one kissing gourami
15 x Trigonostigma heteromorpha (going to add 20 more)
unknown number of pangio sp. and Corydoras aeneus
one angry Colisa lalia -male (Isnt he beautiful? http://kuvablogi.com/nayta/iso/img873585.jpg)
Lots and lots of shrimps (Cherry, Green and "Blue")
Oh, and also a strange creature which I bought as an common Ancistrus, but this fellow is something else, maybe an Ancistrus hybrid or L- 279.

Plants: Limnophila sessiliflora, Limnophila aquatica, Eustralis stellata, Ludwigia repens, Hygrophila polysperma, H. polysperma "Rosanervig", Riccia fluitans, Java moss, Fontinalis antipyretica (collected from a river here in Finland ), Echinodorus bleheri, E. "magdalensis", Microsorum pteropus, Cryptocoryne wendtii, Crypt. tropica, Crypt. crispatula, Crinum natans, Hygrophila difformis (?) Hygrophila corymbosa, Heteranthera zosterifolia, Micranthemum umbrosum, Eichornia azurea, Rotala indica. Im sure I forgot something...

As lightning I have one 150 W metal-halide lamp. I dont have any CO2 -systems, and I use rarely liquid plant fertilizers.

I'm thinking off adding two cork (not sure about the word?) baulks more, one to the left end of the tank and one to the left side of the tank, to the "golden ratio" and also, if I find somewhere, more oak-leaves to the bottom. Good idea? Does anyone have more/better ideas to the decoration of this tank? All the ideas are very welcome! I wish I could create a "jungleish" look to this tank, but to still keep it decorative and fully planted.

This another tank of mine, which holds 360 liters, is a home for my beloved pets. Plecos rule this tank: they eat all the plants I put there, they poop all around and because of them we have allways fridge full of cucumber.

There lives:
3 x L - 333, Hypancistrus sp.
one Peckoltia sabaji, L - 124
one Baryancistrus sp., maybe L - 18
3 clown plecos (Panaque maccus )
2 extremely ugly albino Ancistrus
And I'm going to have a few more, when I find the species that I want.

There are also 6 Pterophyllum leopoldi -youngsters and about 25 cardinal tetras. This tank is funny shaped: Its 100 cm long, 60 cm tall and also 60 cm deep. Im sure this makes a good home for my Angelfish.

I dont have a new photo of this tank at the moment (but Im going to add it!), but its not really worth seeing: ugly lightning with brown water, full of mangrove and just a few dying E. bleheri. This is going to be some sort of a biotope tank, maybe Amazon or Rio Negro, so I let it look like it is at the moment: Nature-like.

Katja
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:14 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Very nice and natural looking. Well done, what color MH bulb are you using?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:21 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks, Orlando.
Erm... thats a good question *thinking*
Ill check it when the light turns off, I wont like to burn my eyes right now.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 03:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Yeah dont do that. You will end up with a weird suntan.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 09:26 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Good job! i like the "wild" look of the tank. Sometimes ultra-scaped tanks are somewhat artificial because the'd never happen in the real world. I appreciate the more real aspect of this tank.

If you did want to try and pretty it up you could simply follow these simple aquascaping rules often used

1 short to tall (front to back)
2 rule of thirds
3 golden ratio
4 general shape (concave, convex, triangle, etc)

I always appreciated this writeup: http://artofaquascaping.blogspot.com/

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode