setting up 10 gallon: TANK IS OVER, WILL TAKE APART WEDNESDAY (56k warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
setting up 10 gallon: TANK IS OVER, WILL TAKE APART WEDNESDAY (56k warning)

im setting up a 10 gallon tank. i started it a week ago.

substrate: 1:1 eco:flourite
CO2: DYI but its really high (i can tell by how much the riccia pearls
light: 40 watts pc. 1/2 6700k 1/2 10000K
filter: ehiem ecco

plants: hc, rotala rotundufolia, java ferns, anubias nana, petite anubias, asian ambulia, hornwort, banana plant, crypt (wendtii?), java moss

inhabitants: young bettas, 3 guppies, 3 ottos

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67

Last edited by @[email protected]; 02-04-2008 at 10:21 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

the long bushels of hair algea on the glass (one can be seen an inch below the guppy on that picture) have gotten shorter. i guess that means the ottos are eating it.
one of the ottos is antisocial, it moves away from the others. does anybody have an otto that does that? does the mean its sick or something?

i plan on ordering more plants today: Cabomba pulcherrima (red cabomba), Eleocharis montevidensis (giant hairgrass), Rotala macrandra v. 'narrow leaf'.
any suggestions for additional plants?

later in the week i will remove the guppies and bettas and put in galaxy rasboras and red cherry shrimp.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Oto's do not eat hair algae. They eat Diatoms(brown Algae). As far as why the oto is acting that way is uncertain. He could be a very independent Oto.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 09:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

well i have a little bit of diatoms on the anubias since it came from a low light tank, but that will disapeer anyway since its now in a higher light environment. but ive seen them eat other kinds of algae as well (i have kept them in tanks with no diatoms anywhere and they did fine).

also the lone oto probably just didnt know there were others in the tank, and was to scared to look at what the other fish were and just ran away. today he is perfectly happy being near the other 2.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 11:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Ottos will eat hair algea on your aquarium glass if it hasn't gotten long yet. I've seen them do it. They won't on the other hand be very efficient eating puffballs of it, though I've seen them get frustrated trying

10g is one of my favorite stock tanks that are the most affordable. Your tank looks good, the only thing is it seems to be a little "flat" maybe some work on a stronger mid ground would make it look even better

I like the DW though!

-Andrew
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-24-2008, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

well the puffballs are shorter. i guess theyre biting of the newer tips that are still soft.

well i plan on planting a blyx japonica to the right of the anubaises and some pearl weed in front of the crypts going along the driftwood half-way to the dwarf hairgrass.

the plants are starting to grow and fill in. The asian ambulia grew and made 4 new stems, the rotala rotundufolia grew, the HC grew a little, and the hornwort doubled in size and turned red. i have never had this happen before even in tanks with higher lighting than this. i theorize its because of the high iron content i currently have due to new flourite red. well anyway this is good since hair algae loves iron and the more hornwort takes, the less for algae.

thanks for the compliments. ill take a new picture when the plants come in, hopefully tomorrow.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-25-2008, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i recieved the order of plants and i am impressed. aquariumplants.com is good. the cabomba is nice and tall like i had hoped and looks good, i just need it to fill in a litte. the rotala macrandra is amazing. it is a bright bright pinkish red. as for the giant hairgrass it was healthy, and giant (i cut off the tips before even putting it in the tank).

i also decided to put more java ferns on the driftwood (left one) next to the other one in a row so as to make the java ferns all look like one (which they technically are since i only ever bought 1 java fern and the rest were all produced asexually or sexually, but with a plant of the same DNA so they are all genetically identical). i like the way it looks

i will take some photos when the flourite settles (probably tomorrow)

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 01:51 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

here are the pictures:

from the front:

the HC:

rotala macrandra and giant hairgrass (from front):

rotala rotundifolia and asian ambulia growth (plus the lovely biowheel, lol):

java ferns on driftwood (i think they look really cool):

the riccia flurtans pearling:

the left side of the tank, from above:

the right side of the tank, from above:

the roots from below, some plants already reached the bottom (i labeled them):

well that was an update.

if the hc dies on me (as it looks like it will) i will plant HM, which as worked for me in every tank i tried.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 05:35 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
That does not look like HC to me ? Looks more like Glosso.

Tanks coming along nicely
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 05:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Very nice. Im sure things will change in the future for scapeing.....they always do lol.

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

kr0nic:
that is HC. look at it in comparison to the gravel size. i have glosso in another tank and this is WAY smaller.

thanks, but hair algae is driving me crazy

James From Cali:
thanks. most likely, yeah. anyway in a week or so the carpet plant will probably change.

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-28-2008, 12:19 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

AAAAAAAAAAAGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

noticed some occasionaly BGA. i put the filter output on maximum since they hate current, i will also overfeed from now on for a while (bga fixes nitrogen so it has an edge over plants in tanks with low nitrates). i may also dose antibiotics, but ill decide later if it grows back (i took the peices out)
any other suggestions?

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

ok the BGA has not returned, the current has killed it. but my HC is in the final stages of decay. i was pretty sure i was gonna put HM instead, but i think i might try something else.

which carpet plant do you guys suggest?

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

it grew back. i have removed it again and added an azoo palm filter in the back where the stem plants are (and the cyanobacteria grew) to increase flow. I set it to be on only when the lights are off.

i feel like im talking to myself

My Tanks:

-
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 02-02-2008, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (31/100%)
For carpet plants, I'd suggest Glosso or HC for a 10 gallon. Other plants claimed to be for the foreground grow too big for the foreground of a 10 gallon

And what is the bio-wheel doing in the middle of the water? I heard it only grows bacteria on it if there's circulation going over it....

Eheim Classic 2213
Eheim Pimp #341

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode