First Real Post, not first planted tank...critiques? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:21 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (29/100%)
First Real Post, not first planted tank...critiques?

Hey everyone,

As the subject says, this is my first real post (i.e. other than in swap 'n shop). Anyway, I have been out of the planted tank hobby for a few months, but kept a tank of minimally alive plants going for a bit. I finally decided to set up another tank, but only a 10 gallon. I am happy, but not thrilled, with the result. One issue may be the collectoritis problem that I obviously have. But, I am unwilling to completely part with most of these plants as I intend this tank to act as "seed" tank for a larger tank in a year or so.

I would like critiques and suggestions on what I could do to increase the visual impact of the tank, and especially make it look "cleaner". Right now, I think things look too crowded, and for lack of a better word "fluffy" especially on the right side (I think that this look is caused by all of the fine leaved plants on that side).

For hardscape, I have one large piece of driftwood that runs the length of the tank (that you can hardly see because the plants have overgrown it), a small piece in the back that the narrow leaf java fern is on, a piece of driftwood that the large java fern is growing on, and a rock behind the H. verticillata.

Plants include HC, crypt lucens (in front of java fern on left), anubias nana, crypt balansae (back right), regular and narrow java fern, java moss, ludwigia "cuba", H. verticillata, and blyxa japonica (which for some reason has never really taken off).

Lighting is 70W metal halide, Co2 is pressurized with mazzei injector, substrate is eco complete. I do basically EI dosing with occasional supplementation as tests indicate.

Suggestions? One thought that I have is to try some redder plants in place of the L. Cuba to add a bit more visual impact. I will say in real life though, the L. Cuba lends more contrast to the setup than it looks like in the pics. It is more golden-orange than shows up in the pictures (problem is with white balance adjustment, my camera only has white balance presets, and I can get close, but not quite actual coloration). I could also work on reddening it up by lowering nitrate dosing and upping iron. Sorry for the marathon post, and thanks for your thoughts.

Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
I like the thick green jungle look. Very nice green's. What are you using for the filter and spray bar?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

filtration is actually just the plants, there is a powerhead behind the java fern on the left that feeds water out into a manifold that I made for the mazzei, and then routes the water back into the tank through the spraybar, which is all just PVC.

I can get away with little or no filtration because the stocking is minimal, 3 threadfin rainbows and a bunch of Cherry shrimp (100+ at this point).

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:31 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Well for what its worth I think it looks fantastic. If you threw in some red plants it might make it look a little less dark.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 06:29 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (35/100%)
looks very good.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 08:17 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
very nice tank.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 10:47 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (61/100%)
tank looks great. it has a jungle look but very clean for a jungle. i like it.

i however think a Cryptocoryne petchii or Nymphaea pubescens (dwarf lotus) would look good somewhere in the forgound or midground to add some reddish tone (i reccomend the crypt since a pink lotus in the middle of all that green might be a bit to distracting)

My Tanks:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-
-
-
-

Eheim Pimp #296
Canon Pimp #67
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 12:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I really love it as well, and I don't think I would change it, especially if the pics don't quite do it justice like you said.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:01 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
That is one heck-of-a-nice tank! Thanks for sharing!!!!!
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 01:10 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gorgeous. What's the plant with the round leaves in the lower left corner?

If you're looking for any advice, I'd suggest you build an identical spraybar and paint it black with Krylon Fusion or vinyl dye. I like the hidden equipment look personally.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-22-2008, 02:28 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the compliments everyone.

Yeah, I should have painted the spray bar, but I was concerned about chemicals that might leech from the paint. I have since found out that people do it all of the time with no ill effects

The plant in the lower left is hydrocotyle verticillata.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode