Ada 30c - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (22/100%)
Ada 30c

Tank specs

ADA 30C cube (approx 7-8 gallons)
Current Satellite 12″ - 1×18w (Current SunPaq Dual Daylight 6700K/10000K lamp)
ZooMed 501 filter
Tahitian Moon Sand substrate (thin layer for aesthetic value)

Excel dosed every other day. No other ferts.
Fauna
- Neocaridina denticulata sinensis “red” (Red Cherry Shrimp)

Flora
- Anubias barteri v. nana ‘petite’
- Anubias barteri v. ‘coffeefolia’
- Microsorum pteropus v. ‘narrow leaf’

The tank is in my boys' room. There is some random utricularia stuck in between the bits of anubias that are are PITA to get out (anyone have any suggestions?) The scape is pretty derivatave and wholly unoriginal but it has a certain charm to my eye. The plan was to make as much swimming space as possible so I went with epiphytes to reduce the amount of substrate to a minimum (the TMS is there just for looks). My older son has wanted a african dwarf frog for a while so I am currently looking to get a couple for the tank, hence the importance of swim space.

Picture was taken just after a rescape (tank was sitting on my desk as a growout tank) so its still a bit messy.

-Charlie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Its Nice To See Someone Plant A 30cm Ada Cube. I Have Been Wanting A Cube For A While But Couldn't Figure Out What Light To Use. How Do You Like The Current Light? Can You Post A Pic Of The Tank And Light? I Like Your Scape I Would Just Add A Background And Some Dark Rock Under The Wood. I Would Take Out The Larger Anubia And Keep The Petite.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Nice setup Charlie!

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Marimo - I do feel like the transition between the flatness of the sand and the actual "structure" is a little abrupt. Maybe some small stones will help out. or maybe some smaller stones with more anubias petite tied on will help. As far as the larger anubias vs. the smaller anubias goes, I was atttempting to mix up leaf sizes to add some visual diversity. I might just end up pulling the larger anubias and replacing it with some narrow leaf java fern. However, the original inspiration for this arrangement was from Oliver Knott and his Tropica Cube which was one big Anubias on a piece of lava rock. I liked the sparseness of it so I kinda used it as my guide on this one. I was also influenced by the various wabi-kusas as far as layout was concerned. One big plant mass in the midst of empty space. The whole "structure" is attached together and I can pull the whole thing out in one piece to trim.

I will try and get a pic of the light tomorrow (kids are asleep right now). Its the 12" Satellite fixture as seen on Current's site. I like the Current light. No problems so far (I've had it for about 7 months or so). They make a double bulbed 28w fixture as well if you wanted to do higher light. Since I'm not running CO2 and my plants are relatively low light, I think I'm ok with what I have.

Epic - Thanks!

-Charlie

post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via Yahoo to chadly
looks nice, i love anubias. maybe surround the back w/ a single species or something taller and something midsize to accent the shape of the wood.

- Join today!

post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 03:38 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I think you make a good point the larger anubia does add a different size and texture. Perhaps some black lava rock or a grey stone like zebra rock would be a good transition. NL fern would work also.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:56 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Send a message via AIM to unix2k Send a message via MSN to unix2k Send a message via Yahoo to unix2k
Nice thank. Thats exactly how i would do my next cube.. maybe not exactly but same setup of plants. Good job.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 04:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
This tank looks amazing! I like how you can just pull out the scape

Maybe you can convince your son that the dwarf frogs are dumb and get him more interested in shrimp. If you target feed I bet a Filter feeding shrimp would love those upper branches. If you're also target feeding some FW clams could be a cool addition.

Very nice job!
-Andrew
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Hill View Post
This tank looks amazing! I like how you can just pull out the scape
Since the tank is going to be in the kids' room, convenience was key. Lower light, slow growth, and ease of maintenance.

Protip: My preferred method of attaching plants to wood is black cotton thread. I couldn't find any in the house so I ended using an old reefer's trick and used cyanoacrylate glue to glue the petite anubias onto the wood. Easy peezy.

-Charlie

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackhazard View Post

New desktop back ground!

Love the simplicity, I just love coffeolas!

post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I got some new pics for Marimoball showing the setup more:

Frontal shot shows light and mini stand. The base just a 12x12 cutting board that I found on the internet. I think it adds a bit of visual interest vs just having the tank sit on the flat surface.

3/4 shot. This is what you see when you walk into the room. I made sure that this side was also visually pleasing and made sure that plants were covering this side as well. The other side has a partially obscured byt the wardrobe so wasn't as important to me as far as scaping/arranging.

Charlie

post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (47/100%)
Send a message via AIM to imeridian
That is very impressive, the bamboo pedestal is a nice touch. I suddenly want one of those cubes to put on my desk.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 02:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Sweet!!!!!!

Thanks for sharing.
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for posting the light. Its a perfect fit and the stand is also nice. I have the zoomed 501 also. I think its alot better over the TOM filter. Im gonna start shopping for the same current light but get the 2x18watt version.

post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 01-27-2008, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Its a great tank! You've done a great job!

But if thats a humidifier, you're better off just getting a bigger tank for your kids to be able to see, maybe a 90 or 120

Where did you get all the anubis from? It looks nice and healthy!

-Andrew

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode