NeverEndingNinja's 55 gallon [Updated 2-27-08] - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2008, 11:20 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
NeverEndingNinja's 55 gallon [Updated 2-27-08]

Here's my pride and joy. This shot was taken the same night I switched the gravel from inert gravel to Eco-Complete. I have 130w compact fluorescent(50/50 bulbs, unfortunately...SunPaq 6.7k/10k on the way) over it, with DIY co2 coming from three 2 liter bottles. Fauna includes a pair of keyhole cichlids, Rineloricaria catfish, BN pleco, 7 Rasbora Heteromorpha, 5 otocinclus, a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides, 3 juvi Cacatuoides and olive nerites.

The plants have filled in quite a bit since then, except for the Amazon sword which has recently been assaulted(inadvertently, I'm sure) by my BN pleco. The Anubias on that side will be move, and the Amazon sword is going to the LFS. The new scheme is going to be something like this. Back & left side will feature a tall stem plant, followed by Downoi. In front of the Downoi, there will be several mid sized Crypt. sp. Not sure of the exact species, but it has very undulated, rusty leaves. About 3" from the glass, there is going to be Anubias Nana v. 'Petite' and flame moss on a piece of Mopani wood.

(click for full size)

Give me advice! Especially a suggestion for the left sides stem plant.

Last edited by NeverEndingNinja; 02-28-2008 at 01:31 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 01:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Pity about the sword, it's a real centerpiece (minus the pleco damage).

As far as the left side goes, it looks like what you have now is going very well and you have a handle on what your tank can support. I'd say just get more of what has done well already, with a couple of new species to play with.

I do think the wisteria on the right is a little bit distracting, but perhaps its just how it caught the light on the camera. Also, have you considered disguising the flowerpot with glued-on gravel or black sand perhaps?
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2008, 02:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have not. I was waiting on my peacock moss to grow a little thicker on the pot on the right side, and I was going to cover it in the same manner. Its simply "artists canvas", which is 1mm hole mesh that can be bent. I sewed the moss on to it, then wrapped it around the pot very tightly. It makes it so I can remove the whole bunch of moss without disturbing the pot(in case of eggs inside) and rinse it during WC. However, I'll look into coating it in black sand. Sounds nice.

I really need to trim the wisteria, it has doubled in size in about a week. I'm just going to continue to replant it in the same area for a while. I'd like to get just two 15w or one 40w tube to go across the front of the tank, not so much to grow more plants, just to keep things evenly lit.

P.S. I forgot to mention that the substrate is actually 60 lbs of Eco Complete with 25 pounds of Estes Natural Deep River Gravel mixed in.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 01:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I finally got around to taking some photos of my tank, and figured I'd put them up here for comparison. I feel like its come a long way in a little over a months time. I'm running 6700/10000 SunPaqs, 130w, pressurized CO2, dosing lazy EI.

Comments? Suggestions? Critique? All looked forward to.

I am having quite a serious spot/dust algae outbreak, and it has pretty much "ruined" all of my plants. They're all doing just fine and growing well, but they're not so pretty with all the spots on them.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:52 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

No love?
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:58 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
good looking tank...sorry bout the algae. i had the same problem on my 55 until i got pressurized co2, and let the plants grow with no ferts...this caused them to suck up all the nutrients, then i just began dosing sparsely...and have had no problem since then
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 03:08 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looking good!!!

Wherever you go, there you are.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 12:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
NEN,

Tank looks great. Its filling in quick. As far as the algae goes, I would look for 2 things to be out of ballance (possibly). CO2 and phosphates. I would imagine that bumping the phosphates a little for a while will have the biggest impact on the GSA/GDA. I did this with my setup and all but eradicated GSA.

Your tank is looking really good!

Filstar Pimp #106

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- XP2, Dual Aquaticlife link Fixture , Pressurized CO2, DIY Reactor, EI dosing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
On hold for a while...
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (114/100%)
Wow the dwarf sag carpet has exploded. I like the way you hid the equipment on the left with the ludwiga. I'd have to trim off those aerial roots on those.
Looks good though. You have some nice depth starting. Once the stuff in the back grows up you might need to look into something to put between the carpet and back plants.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Well done Ninja, things are growing fast it seems.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-28-2008, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Well, when it comes down to something between the carpet and the background, I'll probably end up making the carpet into the midground(just pull out the front-most pieces) and plant some HM or HC in the front to give the feel of a little more depth.

BTW, its E. Tennelus, not dwarf sag

BiscuitSlayer, I'll try dosing the phosphates more heavily. I'm using Flourish phosphorus, and to bump my tank up my 0.1ppm, I have to dose 4ml of product. When its suggested that phosphates stay between 1.2 and 2.0ppm, we're talking between 48ml and 80ml every other day. A 250ml bottle of the stuff runs out quick, that way. I'll be ordering dry phosphates and CSM this weekend.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode