Echinodorus Kleiner Prinz
AMAZON SWORD, Echinodorus bleheri

Fertilization:

DIY Root Tabs
Bi-Daily Excel
Trace Nutrients Bi-Weekly
Iron occasionally

Background:

I am by no means new to keeping an aquarium but have very limited success when concerning planted aquariums. About a year ago I had a Marineland 56G Column aquarium that I filled with similar species of plants (Minus the hairgrass and repens) and had quite a healthy system up until the point I had to tear it down.

Right now I am waiting for the Dwarf Hairgrass to fill in so i can start getting fish. My ultimate goal is perhaps Angelfish and Discus.

First step however is a lighting upgrade. What I have now will work but I want to clean things up and perhaps make the light being emitted a bit more appealing and natural looking. My front runner for that is a 2 Current USA Satellite Freshwater + with a ramp timer.

I'll do my best to post pictures and keep this updated with any changing developments.

Any and all feedback is welcome but maybe not listened to

Last edited by nwr2339; 11-01-2014 at 06:37 PM. Reason: Forgot something
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-08-2014, 12:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Considering the depth of this tank I am also considering buying a powerhead for circulation. Any thoughts or suggestions for brands and size?

I also ordered the following plants which i would assume will be here next Tuesday.

Green Cabomba caroliniana
Ceratopteris Thalictroides - Water Sprite
Hygrophilia Difformis - Wisteria
Bacopa Carolina
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well, things have changed. The plants located in the tank are all the same except I have removed the marble queen. It did very poorly and I would rather see some of the other plants fill out and take its place. I also moved things around a bit to make the tank have a better flow.

And of course the biggest change.... Two brand new 36"-48" Current Satellite Freshwater+ fixtures.

On a side note I seem to have some issues with some of my plants leaves. They seem to be almost disintegrating into a skeleton structure. They keep growing new shoots but 1/3 leaves on the melon sword and ozelotr sword keep having this weird thing happen to them.

The DHG is doing...ok. I've had to trim it three times now and there are several runners but it is far from filled in. Just going very, very slow.

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-19-2014, 10:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
the skeleton leaf thing might be due to needing more nutrients

My 75 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 10 gallon High Tech Tank:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My 5.5 gallon nano College Dorm Tank:

Mom's Spec V:
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 04-20-2014, 03:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
When did you set up the tank? Most sword species ocelot etc. usually are grown emersed meaning out of the water when you first buy them. They then have to shed all of their emersed leaves and begin putting out submersed leaves. This is natural an will continue till all of the roundish leaves are replaced with thinner sword like leaves.

You could also try looking into the seachem line of fertilizers flourish and comprehensive. They are a good starter line of fertilizers to use in accompaniment with the excel.
Joshua

Piano

post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 06-03-2014, 05:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
any updates? love your tank!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 04:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Hi, I have the same tank, and similar plants. I've bee thinking of switching over to the satellite plus, and was wondering how good the coverage is with just one light on the 65? Thanks!
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
http://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-...ater-led-plus/
So you look like you have about 37-40 PAR. Not from exp but from listening on here the DHG may give you trouble from lack of enough light. But an experienced grower of it may tell you more on that.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-04-2014, 05:54 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by longgonedaddy View Post
Hi, I have the same tank, and similar plants. I've bee thinking of switching over to the satellite plus, and was wondering how good the coverage is with just one light on the 65? Thanks!

Generally a minimum of PAR would be 25-30, not that Java Fern and Anubia wouldn't grow at a bit lower levels. But 20 is really pushing the limit for low level I think.

The shortest distance between any two points is a straight line...in the opposite direction...
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 08-06-2014, 12:50 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond S. View Post
Generally a minimum of PAR would be 25-30, not that Java Fern and Anubia wouldn't grow at a bit lower levels. But 20 is really pushing the limit for low level I think.

Thanks for the PAR report, but I was hoping for an opinion on the coverage of the light, not the intensity. Hoping to keep the cost down, otherwise, doesn't make much sense to buy lights that I don't necessarily need.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 12:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry it has been so long since my last update. The tank has overall done quite poorly. In the beginning everything was growing like wildfire but then continued down the line of looking quite poor... still grew fine but the leaves were constantly looking like they were disintegrating yet each plant was consistently sprouting new leaves.
I ended up removing all of the plants and replanting them after removing all the poor looking leaves and started dosing Excel. Still nothing seemed to work. Even the Wisteria and Water Sprite looked very poor.
I also added several Angelfish, Cardinal tetra and Rummy Nose. All the fish are doing great but the plants still look poor. The crypt which were once hugest and lush now look like I just planted them. And I have black hair algae.
From what I can tell after doing a bit of research is that perhaps I have too few plants (now anyways) and perhaps too little substrate. I have recently ordered enough plants to fill the tank back up and will also start adding trace nutrients once every other week and only a 20% per week.... as to help with the numerous fish. ....And another inch of substrate.

I'll post some before and after pictures soon after I get the new plants. Hopefully this fixes it because the tank could be so gorgeous. Specially with the Angels and Tetra's.

Link to My Journal:

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 12:27 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Is it difficult planting all the way down in your 65 gallon? Hard to reach?

Last edited by Blackheart; 10-26-2014 at 12:29 AM. Reason: ...
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-26-2014, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I think you are going about it with only half the facts that are available to us for planted tanks. Reading the post made by darkblade on this thread will start you towards learning the missing ones. Long story short, you are only using half of the ferts you need in there.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...php?t=107303#2
There are many places to get these ferts from. This person is a member of this forum
and as such I have some of his products. But don't just jump without asking questions on here first. Many may try to stear you towards EI ferts. Good if you have injected CO2, but a reduced version is highly recommended for use without injected CO2.
Injected CO2 will add to the overall cost of running the tank, is not only used for fast growing plants. It has a few other benefits for the plants also. But make no mistake about it, fast growth comes/w it. As long as you know you will need to trim the plants EACH week in your tank AND the cost is not putting you in a bind...then go for it if that is what you like. Otherwise stick to low tech(without injected CO2) and be content to have slower growing plants.
This is a link to a person on here who sells ferts etc. He has two kinds of simple to use liquid ferts. Only two are listed on this link. You can get the individual ferts, but you need to know which to get in order to do that. Part of this learning that I spoke of that you can skip for now if you just get one of the liquid kinds.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sh...d.php?t=168153
Of course any/all of this is only a suggestion...

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-29-2014, 01:07 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for posting those links. I actually remember reading those when I setup my first planted tank.
After reading them again I am starting to put things together and realize why I am having trouble with this tank and had none with my first.
One of the big differences is the number of root tabs I first introduced when I setup the other tank. Yes I know that just root tabs alone would not make a successful tank but considering the tank was really only up for around 5-6 months it does make a bit of sense. I basically never go to the point where my plants started lacking nutrients. It was planted much heavier with a more regular Excel dosage too.
With all that being said as well as some other various differences that I am piecing together I am confident that I will be able to turn this one around.

New plants will be here Thursday I believe. DIY root tabs are on their way as well. I will also be buying some trace nutrients for the water column to dose every few weeks. Also adding a bit more substrate.

For now this will stay a low tech tank because I simply don't have the money to invest into a CO2 unit. Not to mention I would really like to make this work as somewhat of a pride thing.

I'll update again once the plants come in with before and after pictures.

Link to My Journal:

post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-30-2014, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post
Is it difficult planting all the way down in your 65 gallon? Hard to reach?
Sorry I missed this post somehow.

Sometimes it can be but overall not too bad.

Link to My Journal:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode