My 55 Gal <<Update>> - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (12/100%)
My 55 Gal <<Update>>

I started this back in November and just added co2 and more lighting last week. I'm pretty new to the planted tank scene so I'm still learning and reading allot. I haven't gotten into any type of fertilizers yet but I plan on starting with dry dosing soon. I also plan on taking the sword plant on the left side out and replacing it with something else. Suggestions, comments please.

Last edited by Vonzorfox; 06-10-2008 at 01:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 01:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Nice job, is that an extra long XP spraybar?
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2008, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, the spray bar went to my cascade 1000, it's about the only thing I liked from that filter.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here is a update after about 2 weeks and EI dosing. I also added some moneywort (that's what Pet Smart calls it). I will be taking the sword on the right out because of old algae problems and replacing it with some new plants I should be getting tomorrow. Just got my 4 x 55 AH supply kit yesterday and temporarily installed 1 set for now. I have a nice pine canopy to match my stand on it's way, that's why I only installed 1 set of the lights. Most likely I won't have all four on much until my new plants fill the sides, but I have them for the future. I'll try to post some pictures on my progress with the new canopy and aquascaping. Till then... Later.

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:05 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
whats the name of that plant in the middle thats so big
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

That's water wisteria and yes it needs a trim soon.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 10:33 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Looks nice. On a personal note, i think i would have the Wisteria over to one side, maybe in front of the filter outlet to help disguise it. But wherever it is, it's a lovely looking plant. How are you getting on with the EI dosing, I've been thinking of going down that route myself, especially now I've found a retailer in the UK that sells all the dry ferts. Interesting to see more pictures as the tank develops. Keep up the good work.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-30-2008, 12:40 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourney View Post
Looks nice. On a personal note, i think i would have the Wisteria over to one side, maybe in front of the filter outlet to help disguise it. But wherever it is, it's a lovely looking plant. How are you getting on with the EI dosing, I've been thinking of going down that route myself, especially now I've found a retailer in the UK that sells all the dry ferts. Interesting to see more pictures as the tank develops. Keep up the good work.
Thanks for the plant comment it's finally out competing the algae I had. I'll be getting some new plants tomorrow so I'll keep hiding the intake in mind, good idea. As for the EI dosing so far so good. My algae is going away and the plants are really starting to take off. If you can get the fertilizers in the UK go for it but don't forget to get a good test kit if you don't have one. Once things balance out you won't regret it. You have some nice looking tanks in your profile. Good job.

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-03-2008, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yesterday my pine canopy was delivered and I was able to install my new lights. I'll be running these on timers. The back set will turn on at 10:00 am, 12:30 pm the front comes on, 4:30 pm the back will go off and at 10:00 pm off with the front for a total of 9 hours of light. My new shipment of plants came a couple of days ago, purple cabomba, anacharis, diandra, and green myrio. Now I just need to let things grow in and I'm done for a while. My aquascaping skills aren't the best but we'll have to see how things look in a few weeks. Here's some new pics of how things went.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-10-2008, 08:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Just a couple of update pics again. Things really are taking off, these pics are after I did some trimming to the wisteria and anacharis on the left. That was up to the top and bent over. Enjoy.

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 03:56 PM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thats a nice setup, I just got my tank and am in the same situation as you. Just getting into the hobby and don't know a whole lot about dosing or what have you. What regimen are you using now for fertilization?
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 04:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Looking good! Nice job on the hood.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Nice looking tank. Heavier trims will help defeat algae even more, especially chopping the wisteria and ludwigia down. More nutrient export and more driven growth.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks for the comment, Orlando. That hood was pretty hard to find shipped for a reasonable price. One place quoted me almost $100.00 shipping!!

As for what dosing regimen it's this one for the 40/60 gallon https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/wa...-regimes_.html minus the +/-2-4ml-Fe/Iron 3x a week because my substrate takes care of that.

Thanks Jaidexl, that came in great timing because I just got done doing a decent pruning to the wisteria. I was wondering if I did it too much. Now on to the ludwigia a bit. Just curious about how much should I take off it?

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2008, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
On yours, I would take that entire red, dense top off and discard the bottom half, then put the top in it's place (if you plan on leaving it as part of the center piece, or wherever else). Every couple weeks I'd "mow" a rounded face into it, like a basketball, and let it grow back in for a couple weeks and repeat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode