20L Gallon Bucephalandra | 'aBUCEing Addict' | Picture update 03/12/14 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (226/100%)
Talking 20L Gallon Bucephalandra | 'aBUCEing Addict' | Picture update 03/12/14

On the exact day of June, 06 2013... I became an addict...
...A Buce addict, hence the title...

My very first Bucephalandra I pulled out of the oven was a tasty one...
Bucephalandra sp. 'Brownie Red'.

(Picture is 3 months of growth)

I just can't find a way to stop myself from collecting species, even when I know I don't room!

Anyways.. Enough of my boring story and lets get down to BUCEness (business), alright I'll stop with the puns..

Tank:
20L Aqueon

Filtration:
HOB Aqueon

Lighting:
30' Finnex FugeRay LED
*Custom 3" Finnex Leg Extenders (Built by TPT member Fuze)*

Co2: - This

Ferts: None

Hardscape:
20lb EcoComplete
2L scattered AquaSoil

Fauna:
Honey Dwarf Gouramis
6 otto's
2-3 calico bushy nose

Flora:
Buce sp. 'Brownie Red'
Buce sp. 'Brownie Yellow'
Buce sp. 'Brownie Ghost'
Buce sp. 'Brownie Jande'
Buce sp. 'Silver Powder'
Buce sp. 'Pink Centipede'
Buce sp. 'Pink Bilbis'
Buce sp. 'Purple Leaf'
Buce sp. 'Kir Adonis'
Buce sp. 'Lagoon Mini'
Buce sp. 'Kapuas Hulu'
Buce sp. 'Antyovani #2'
Buce sp. 'Kedegang'
Buce sp. 'Kudagan'
Buce sp. 'Icarus Bell'
Buce sp. 'Icarus Velvet'
Buce sp. 'Theia 3'
Buce sp. 'Theia Big Leaf'
Buce sp. 'Mini Catharine'
Buce sp. 'Shiny Blue'
Buce sp. 'Super Bue'

Mosses:
Flame Moss
Mini Pellia

Anubias:
Anubias sp. 'Snow White'
Anubias sp. 'Variegated/Marbled'

FTS: 03/12/14

03/04/14

Last edited by Ebi; 03-12-2014 at 05:28 AM. Reason: FTS update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:38 AM Thread Starter
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Scaping

SCAPING

wood:

tying flame moss:

moving in flora:

flooding:

filled:

left:

center:

right:

fauna (honey dwarf gourami):

-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40B Dutch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ebi's Planted Factory | Rack Build

Last edited by Ebi; 03-05-2014 at 03:40 AM. Reason: pictures
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:40 AM Thread Starter
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

early farming days

Heres a quick timeline in the past year of this tank:

First Buce sp. Brownie Red:

Early farming stages:

Anubias sp. Nana 'Variegated' showcasing half white/green leaves :

some shoot just solid white leaves:

first baby variegated

How plants with no roots got tied down:

-Mike

40B Dutch

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:44 AM Thread Starter
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

labeling

HOW THE HECK DO YOU NOT LOSE TRACK OF EACH SPECIES?

Yes, I tied each plant individually onto lava rock.. but heres the thing... I labeled the underside with its species name!

TOP:

Bottom:

now theres no way in losing species name in a 10+ species tank

this took some tedious time... but its all worth it.

-Mike

40B Dutch

post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 03:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
They look great Mike! So so jealous! Definitely my favorite plant species! So many beautiful variations!! Keep up the good work and look forward to hearing from you in the future
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:09 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
Cool thread from the future

post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 04:50 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (54/98%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebi View Post
HOW THE HECK DO YOU NOT LOSE TRACK OF EACH SPECIES?

Yes, I tied each plant individually onto lava rock.. but heres the thing... I labeled the underside with its species name!

TOP:

Bottom:

now theres no way in losing species name in a 10+ species tank

this took some tedious time... but its all worth it.

that's exactly how I label my 25 species. I label them with number or letter and then print out all the names with the number or letter next to the name. This way works better for me. LOL
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (20/100%)
So I always wondered, what makes Buces so expensive? whats special about them? besides the fact that they look good?

post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 06:57 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I was able to grab some Buce from a friend in CT. It didn't handle the transisiton and travel well. It died-hard like Buce Willis.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-05-2014, 02:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (26/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post
So I always wondered, what makes Buces so expensive? whats special about them? besides the fact that they look good?
You said it yourself. They look good. Anytime new plants come into the hobby that are unique and never seen, they enter expensive. But in addition to this all buces come from exotic places like Malaysia, Borneo so you can't exactly go into a street side ditch and find these. This coupled with the fact that most of the original specimens found in the hobby were actually "wild collected" plants, you can see how the price could quickly escalate. What I personally think keeps them higher priced now is: #1. Thy are still a rarety in the hobby. #2. The original buces when they first were introduced cost 80-100$ a piece so they actually have dropped in price dramatically. And #3. The price stays the same because of supply and demand. There are no major plant farms producing buces that I'm aware of and as such, it's strictly a hobbyist to hobbyist plant which means that the demand will stay high since it isn't mass produced. And these plants are slower growers. Lastly #4. I personally feel as if it's an unwritten rule amongst hobbyists and retail people in general that when you buy somethin that you can turn around and sell later on, you should sell it at a similar price range to keep the market value consistent. It's sort of a "nice" thing to do to protect the investment of the original purchasers who spent hundreds of $ on plants. (I know some might disagree on this last point, but it's just my humble opinion) eventually as more people acquire te plant the price will drop on its own due to supply and demand anyway.....

On a side note:
Mike, I'm gellin on the inside, buce sense is tingling lol. One day when I finally upgrade, I'll be messaging you! They all look beautiful my friend. Which is your favorite "species"?
Joshua

Piano

post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 02:19 AM
Planted Member

Amazing looking tank and specimens. Subscribed
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphilster08 View Post
They look great Mike! So so jealous! Definitely my favorite plant species! So many beautiful variations!! Keep up the good work and look forward to hearing from you in the future

Stop being jealous and start your own collection hehe
So many still needed to be collected!

For sure , I'll hit you up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by prighello View Post
Cool thread from the future
Future project?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flowerfishs View Post
that's exactly how I label my 25 species. I label them with number or letter and then print out all the names with the number or letter next to the name. This way works better for me. LOL
25 species? We might have to do some exchanging, if you don't have any of the ones I already have :p

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positron View Post
I was able to grab some Buce from a friend in CT. It didn't handle the transisiton and travel well. It died-hard like Buce Willis.

Looks like you gotta give it another shot!

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoram View Post
Amazing looking tank and specimens. Subscribed

Thanks!

-Mike

40B Dutch

post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 02:54 AM Thread Starter
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnywhoop View Post

Joshua nailed it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pianofish View Post
Lastly #4. I personally feel as if it's an unwritten rule amongst hobbyists and retail people in general that when you buy somethin that you can turn around and sell later on, you should sell it at a similar price range to keep the market value consistent. It's sort of a "nice" thing to do to protect the investment of the original purchasers who spent hundreds of $ on plants. (I know some might disagree on this last point, but it's just my humble opinion) eventually as more people acquire te plant the price will drop on its own due to supply and demand anyway.....

On a side note:
Mike, I'm gellin on the inside, buce sense is tingling lol. One day when I finally upgrade, I'll be messaging you! They all look beautiful my friend. Which is your favorite "species"?
Joshua
I strongly agree with that bro.
And thanks for summing it up!

Side note:
Hahaha. For sure hmu.

Favorite... Gotta go with brownie red, pink centipede, kir adonis, green/dark Achilles, mini catharine, silver powder, brownie ghost.... This question sucks.. Haha

I honestly love each individual one for their unique characteristics lol...

You??

-Mike

40B Dutch

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Researching/Observing Sp. Achilles

Been hearing lots of different things about this particular one if it's submergable or not.

When typical people sell them, they come in emersed form:
(Not my photo)

Almost on any aquatic plant, emersed leaves with melt away and out pops it's submerged leaves.

When I received my dark Achilles, it looked like the picture above...

After submerging it for a few months, emersed leaves melted off and out popped it's submerged leaves:

I know bucephalandras plants are new, but the Achilles have been finally able to go around to other members and not much research have been done on this specific species.

If anyone can add anything to this, please feel free to do so.

-Mike

40B Dutch

post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 03-06-2014, 04:16 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (15/100%)
Dang! That Achilles is something else. Hey man I know I was supposed to swing by, but I wasn't thinking straight. I have had a ton of tests right before spring break. I will definitely head over sometime during the break. Did the driftwood arrive? I need driftwood and Buce! Will stop in the store tomorrow, peace.

Keep your sleeves wet!

Tags
20 long, buce, bucephalandra, finnex fugeray

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode