Latest Project: 6ft x 2ft x 2.5ft - 800Litres
This is a customer's display tank for an apartment residence. Set in the living area. Whole job took 10 hours from start to finish including the time taken to tear down the existing scape.
Glass: 10mm Starfire Premium Custom made Tank
Stand: Custom made painted matt black
Lighting: DIY Metal Halide 2x 150w & Downlight fixture (To be replaced with Dupla Electra Kombi 2)
Filtration: 2x Eheim Pro's
Co2: Dupla Alpha Set & Aquamedic Reactor 5bps
Heating: 300W Dupla heating cables & 2x 200W Hydor inline heaters
Substrate: Plain 3mm black gravel & thin layer of Dupla laterite
PH: 6.0 Controlled by Dupla
Blue Turquoise Discus
Day starts by draining water and taking everything down
Make sure you have plenty of towels, there will be major spillage!
Setting out equipment and supplies
8x 80L bins to house existing water and all the fish. Notice they are being filtered to keep water oxygenated
Plenty of space for work
Plants laid out. Make sure water is constantly sprayed to avoid plants drying out. Its 37'C today!
River rocks. They're not from the local creek I swear!
Existing plants. Needing to be trimmed of dying leaves/algae ridden leaves
Draining the rest of the tank. Almost there..
Clearing the old gravel and taking heating cables out
This tank is big.. and I mean big.. it could fit 3 of me!
For a job this size, get as much help as you can
Almost empty.. Man this is tiring so far
Laying out hardscape. For this scape, I decided to use the golden ratio and mount two mounds using river stones to hold the mounds in place.
Climbing back in, this tank is too deep to work from outside
Laying out black gravel slowly
Basic layout almost done
Adding driftwood with moss tied on using cotton thread
Starting from the front moving back
Planting finished. Whole planting process took 4 hours. Started to fill again slowly
Finished filling. Checked all hardware. Good to go
These lights are pretty bright already
Still cloudy, should clear by tomorrow
Please excuse the dark pics, not good at taking pics
Overall although this was a big job, it turned out pretty much how I wanted. We used all the plants and there was still room for a bit more. Fish were added an hour after filling.
Hope you enjoyed this journal and please feel free to comment.