gsm590's LT 10G (56K Warning) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 04:24 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
gsm590's LT 10G (56K Warning)

This is an account of my first ever planted tank, a 10 gallon low tech tank.

The original setup consisted of:
Lighting: 2 10watt screw in compact fluorescent lights
Substrate: Ecocomplete with green and blue gravel on top of it.
Plants: Amazon swords
Inhabitants: plant eating ramshorn snails

This was when I first got into the hobby and didn't know anything about it.
The snails began to tear up my plants and I eventually decided to poison them acute exposure to a small amount of bleach. Big mistake, the bleach completely killed everything in the tank.

Attempt 2
Eliminated all traces of bleach and bought new amazon swords. This time it turned out nice. Eventually I had a diatom problem, which encouraged me to get DIY CO2 system with a DIY bell diffuser.

Setup
Lighting: 2 10watt screw in compact fluorescent lights
Substrate: Ecocomplete with green and blue gravel on top of it.
Plants: Amazon swords
Inhabitants: 3 Platties
Chems: flourish

It looked like everything that Planted tank should look like. I loved it

Then towards the end of summer I started to notice a few black spots on the plants.

Too bad I had to go to college before I could solve the problem.

Last edited by GIO590; 12-30-2007 at 05:26 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 05:09 PM Thread Starter

Thanksgiving

When I got home from thanksgiving this, is what my tank had turned into

The black Algae had overtaken the tank, and didn't know how to get rid if it. I didn't even know what type of algae it was. So after several days of posting I decided that it might be bba, since its the only common black algae.
  • So I decided to completely redo my CO2 setup, using two 2 liter bottles and a ceramic micro-bubler. (A proper DIY CO2 setup).
  • Began adding phosphorous iron, in addition to potassium and flourish
  • began using excel.

When I first arrived home for Christmas break, I realized that my previous treatment wasn't denting the algae. So upped excel dosage to 3x and eventually to 5x. The excell killed some of the algae but also killed some of the already weakened plants (especially where it was spot treated).

Then Biscutslayer enlightened me to the fact that my algae was actually a form of black GSA. I have upped phosphates and it has been going away. Thanks Biscutslayer!!!!

I am currently trying to improve the lighting a little bit.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-30-2007, 08:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
Great that the algae is starting to go away!
Also, I suggest trying to take out the green and blue gravel, but it might be a bit hard. Never really liked the look of unnatural gravel colors xD

Hope you have good luck with your tank! I'm starting up one soon too!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-02-2008, 12:59 AM Thread Starter

UPDATE 06/01/08

After Christmas Break was over I went back to school and my algae problems got out of hand once more. When I came back from school on summer vacation my tank was a full blown New Orleans style disaster. I had GSA so thick that you couldn't see into the tank and the plants were all but smothered with algae. Ohh yah and my nitrates were at 200+ PPM (parents massively overfeeding). I scraped off the algae from the walls pruned or completely removed most of the plants, and began doing 50% water changes daily for a week.

Then I had an apithany. My main problem wasn't poor maintenance, but rather a tank setup that could never work. I had amazon swords (slow growing midlight plants) in a low light tank that was getting CO2 and dosing. It all makes sense now. Since amazons grow extreamly slowly in low light they are not able to soak up the nutrients in the water, giving the algae a chance to feed and grow.

My new setup is the same as before, except now I have new plants. Fast growing low light plants. I have two new plants: a large water sprite and an anarcharis. Hopefully these will starve out the algae.

post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 06-10-2008, 07:42 PM Thread Starter

Just got two otto's a flying fox from the LFS. They should help make the tank less maintenance. Pics comming soon

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode