Tanman's 7 Gallon Zen with U.P. AquaSand - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (82/100%)
Tanman's 7 Gallon Zen with U.P. AquaSand

Found a 7 gallon Zen at Russo's Pet Center and only paid $41 with tax included. They give a 15% discount to scape members too. Go check them out

I was originally getting a small nano tank from Walmart for $28 total with tank, light and lid but I decided to get something that I would enjoy looking at

My first intentions were to set up a moss tank to grow moss for my shrimp packages, however, after staring at a bare bottom tank for the last two days, I couldn't help myself to buy some substrate. So I found the newest shrimp friendly substrate on the market to try.

And this is what happened...enjoy!

Day 1

U.P. Aqua AquaSand

I want to test out and provide any pertinent info to my fellow shrimpers so I decided not to add any substrate and biological additives.

Bare Tank with 2 inches of AquaSand

Look at this! First impressive thing about this substrate...NO CLOUDY MESS This makes those quick tank setup demos nice and clean for the audience. No wood particles or dirt. However, I did miss that amazing Aquasoil dirt smell. ADA needs to make a cologne already

Check out my patent pending filter media

Finished for Day 1
-I will add TDS, ph, gh and kh values later tonight. Even though, I filled it with tap water with prime. I'll also include ammonia readings each day as well.

Day 1 Readings

TDS: 525
ph: 7.5
gh: 16 haha I may not do this one anymore...it wasn't fun testing this one
Temp:66
Ammonia: 0.0 mg

The bag claims to buffer the ph down to 6.5-7.0
No ammonia 4 hours after tank setup though

Day 2

TDS: 530
Temp: 68
ph: 7.5
Ammonia: 0.0mg

Since there is no ammonia leakage, I am going to switch over to RO water

I tested the ph of my tap water and it is sitting 8.0 and my RO water is 6.5 so it looks it's buffering the water only a half a point.

I'll throw in a fish or shrimp tomorrow or Friday and see if I can get it to stay alive.

Negative: the black/grayish color of the substrate doesn't look natural. Aquasoil has more of that earthy look. It will have to grow on me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-01-2014, 09:30 PM
Ebi
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (226/100%)
Nice start!!

Mike

-Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
40B Dutch

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ebi's Planted Factory | Rack Build
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
Patent pending filter media? Please expand.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 03-02-2014, 05:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sorry if this is a dumb question but what is RO water?
Good luck...

FISHY

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode