High tech 75 begins - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 04:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
High tech 75 begins

Ive made all the orders to move my 75 gallon tank into high tech mode, we'll see what happens I started this tank as a low light easy to handle community tank last June, but caught the bug for a super planted tank that I cant shake.

I've kept the tank pretty much like this since I started it, lost a few fish along the way..had some algae and BBA problems, but I just got bored w it. So I decided it was time to really hate my money and re-do it. first things first was the filtration. originally I had a Emperor 400 and a magnum 150 that came w the tank, the magnum was incredibly loud, so I ditched it. Got another Emperor 400 so I had two HOB filters, but..I hate having to clean them so much and if the water drops a inch or so, they make you have to go to the bathroom whenever you are around them. I also didn't feel like they were really keeping up w the needs of the tank. So I ditched one of them and got one of the Emperor c360's and absolutely love it. Then came lighting, I knew my T8's weren't going to be up to snuff for growing a fully planted tank. And since I wanted to be able to grow whatever I wanted, I got one of the Catalina Solar 3x 54 watt t5 ho lights. Its a pretty nice light for the money, no complaints yet. Tank needed a major re-scape so I got some Seiryu stone from Mrbluepanda, and called Rich at Manzanita burl works. They both came through with some great product. I pulled all the old rocks and junk out of the tank, along w some of the plants, put the stones in just to get a feel of how I want them, picked a few pieces of the manzanita in the tank to start soaking (im going out of town for the weekend and change the water on Sun, so leeching is ok). Im still waiting on some of my co2 stuff to come in, and then Ill start planning a re-plant. I was going to buy a new co2 reg, but a friend actually had one they werent using which will be fine to start with untill I decide to build one. Have a fresh round of EI ferts on hand from GLA along with Excel that I dose everyday. Im def a noob at this so any advice along the way is def appreciated. Heres a pic of the tank today w the stones in it and the new lighting w the plant light on. I really want to make what I would call a show tank for the house.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 05:18 PM
Planted Member

Sounds like you have all the equipment on hand or arriving. I would just plant much heavier.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 05:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh im gonna plant it pretty full, my plants have never really done that great, hopefully w all the new stuff I can change that! Just trying to get everything moved around w out freaking the poor fish's out too much...actually contemplating a substrate change, but I'm not sure I want to go thru all that right now lol

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
One of these days I have to get around to gathering some stuff for shipping plants. I'd gladly give you any trimmings from my tank you wanted to help you start getting that thing seeded. Between floaters and Giant Ambulia I have some weed-like stuff that would help keep algae at bay until it builds up.

NEW 75g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OLD 75g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 08:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks man, Im always down for free haha...Im not even sure what I want to put in it yet, thats a pretty important and expensive part! im gonna get the co2 going for a bit and see how the few plants I have left are doing w it and then I may just call aquarium plants and see what kind of package they can draw up..probably the simplest way to get it planted quickly. Idk lol...been part hunting so much, I havent really put alot of time into it. And its race season..So im part buying and finishing a race car simultaneously.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 08:54 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosted16v View Post
Thanks man, Im always down for free haha...Im not even sure what I want to put in it yet, thats a pretty important and expensive part! im gonna get the co2 going for a bit and see how the few plants I have left are doing w it and then I may just call aquarium plants and see what kind of package they can draw up..probably the simplest way to get it planted quickly. Idk lol...been part hunting so much, I havent really put alot of time into it. And its race season..So im part buying and finishing a race car simultaneously.
Look for sellers and RAOK's from here if you're not too picky. I've had great experiences with everyone and tried out a lot of great plants. Most people sell very cheaply, and those that are a little higher (but still rather cheap, I'd say), have multiple hi-tech setups going and a ton of varieties to choose from.

NEW 75g Journal:

OLD 75g Journal:

OLD 29g Journal:

TPT says I'm an algae grower... I'd like to think of myself as one hell of a Cabomba farmer.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 02:57 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Right on man..I've gotten a few things from...like to get to the point of giving my own.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-07-2014, 02:16 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Im still waiting on some co2 stuff, and then I'm ready to find my plants..But heres a picture of a hardscape idea I think will look good.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Heres a update..Ive added alot of DHG, some S. Repens. and a few other plants to the tank, hoping to get everything to root nicely has been a pain! the tiger barbs keep uprooting the DHG and are driving me insane..But I think over all the tank is moving along nicely. Ive started doing a 7 day EI regiment, along with CO2 While the lights are on. Which im leaving on for 7.5 hrs daily. I really like the look of the tank and cant wait to see my carpeting plants take off.. also looking for some nice taller plants for the back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode