Long, low, and lush! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Long, low, and lush!

That's what I'm hoping it will be anyways! I just put together my nano planted tank, a 6.6 gallon bookshelf. It will eventually house some CRS and some celestial pearl danios. Here are the specs:

6.6 gallon bookshelf aquarium
Finnex PX-360 canister filter
Current Satellite LED+ 24"-36" fixture
5# CO2 tank with Concoa regulator and Clippard solenoid

Hardscape:
Mr. Aqua Shrimp Soil substrate
Manzanita driftwood
Inert rocks collected locally (AZ)

Flora:
Utricularia graminifolia
Hydrocotyle japan
Brazilian pennywort
Alternanthera reineckii
Red ludwigia

Fauna:
6 Painted fire red shrimp

Can't wait for the UG to grow in dense and form the carpet. I will be trimming it close and often, so hopefully with the CO2 and lights, that should be enough.

No idea what to dose fertilizer wise. I have Seachem Flourish and Excel on hand, and am thinking about EI. Thoughts?

So what do you think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:39 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I think it looks stunning ~

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:46 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Looks great to me I went EI 2 years ago...I'll never do any other method ever again

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 01:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the comments! I actually tried EI in the past and liked it, just wasn't sure if it was appropriate for my size of tank and the CRS I want to keep in there. Will I get algae if I don't add fertilizers? Trigger- love your 20 L btw
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:15 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tank looks great!
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lookin good! So jealous of your UG. I have been trying to get some.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-27-2014, 07:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ginger90 View Post
Thanks for the comments! I actually tried EI in the past and liked it, just wasn't sure if it was appropriate for my size of tank and the CRS I want to keep in there. Will I get algae if I don't add fertilizers? Trigger- love your 20 L btw
Thank you! I think most algae is caused more by unbalanced levels of co2 and light. Too much light and low or no co2 at all is recipie for algae most of the time. Ferts seem to play the lowest role in causing algae. In my 20 long for example I get almost no algae. I have a little on the stones but that's about the extent of it. I have a lot of light over the tank but I keep my co2 high and steady to compensate for the higher light levels. I also dose EI so the plants always have adequate amounts of nutrients in the water to keep them growing fast to outcompete any algae that may be trying to get a foothold. If you plan on keeping crystal reds than I think you will be fine the way you are. I've seen plenty of high tech tanks where CRS flourished. They're more sensitive to water quality than anything else. As long as you adhere to their water quality requirements than I think you will have no problems keeping them. You're a braver girl than me, I still don't have the courage to keep them yet. Plus my tap water here is liquid rock sooooo I don't see keeping them in the near future lol

~Sam

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:18 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So you don't think I'll need any fertilizer? Can anyone recommend a good all around fertilizer that is premixed or that I just add water and can pump a few pump into the tank every day?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2014, 01:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19ginger90 View Post
So you don't think I'll need any fertilizer? Can anyone recommend a good all around fertilizer that is premixed or that I just add water and can pump a few pump into the tank every day?
Message nilcog. He mixes ferts like that. Bottles that are 2 pumps a day or something like that

~Sam

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode