33 gallon XLong - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (4/100%)
33 gallon XLong

I've been keeping Red Cherry Shrimp for a while now and was wanting to upgrade their 10 gallon tank.

Since I already had a 55 gallon stand sitting around not being used, I desided to go with a 33 gallon (48"L x 12.25"W x 13"H) basically, a short 55 gallon. I figured the shrimp didn't need the extra height and a long, low tank would be ideal for growing plants plus I figured it'd be an unusal tank to setup.

I checked several different sources and ended up finding a local tank builder who got me a semi-reef ready 33 out the door for $50.

(I have the glass to build the overflow if I ever want to, but it's not installed since I don't need it yet).

If I ever had another tank built like this, I'd plan out the holes a little different, like the drawings below...

As soon as all of my equipment gets here, I'll get the tank up and running and post some pictures after the move.

Tank specs (so far):
33 gallon - $50
Rena XP1 - $70
200W in-line heater - free
Duel T5HO lighting - $65
Pressurized CO2 - already had
Soil Master Select (substrate) - already had

($185 total)

Thanks,
AndrewH

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AndrewH; 03-31-2008 at 02:27 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:20 PM

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is that an unusually inexpensive price for a tank build? It looks great, I really like the dimensions. It's like viewing a movie in widescreen/panoramic vs. 4:3.

How does the center brace attach? It looks like it's inside the back edge and on top of the front edge.
post #3 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by swylie View Post
Is that an unusually inexpensive price for a tank build? It looks great, I really like the dimensions. It's like viewing a movie in widescreen/panoramic vs. 4:3.

How does the center brace attach? It looks like it's inside the back edge and on top of the front edge.

GlassCages.com's price was $50 and the LFS was $65, so nope it's right on par (both of those tanks had top and bottom trim at $15 additional charge).

The center brace is attached with silicone only. It's simply there to keep the top edges of the glass from bowing when full since it's spanning 48". Probably not necessary since it's so short, but made the tank builder more confortable (and my wife ).

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #4 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
I really like it, especially the dimensions.

Is there any way you can raise the brace a bit? I would at least carve off the silicone flashes some or redo them, you're not worried about leaks there anyway, and the silicone between the glass is what's going to hold the sides in, for the most part.

post #5 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 07:33 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
I really like it, especially the dimensions.
Yeah, I thought it'd make an awesome shrimp display/breeding tank being low and long. With a 55 you get exta total water volume and extra height for the plants, but I haven't seen many (or any for that matter) 33s out there. One of the local keepers built a betta condo (his words) outta a 20L which peaked my interest. He simply added some plexi glass dividers to house several bettas in one tank. He said he had plans to upgrade to a 33 gallon, which I'd never even hear of one before that. Seemed like the perfect tank dimensions for a shrimp tank. Plus being that long I have options of dividing it for different species later on if I go further than RCS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaidexl View Post
Is there any way you can raise the brace a bit? I would at least carve off the silicone flashes some or redo them, you're not worried about leaks there anyway, and the silicone between the glass is what's going to hold the sides in, for the most part.
Well, the tank builder installed the brace without talking to me about it first and I trust his judgment on the matter as I have built 0 tanks and he's built more than I can count. Moving it up shouldn't be a problem just a PITN and actually it sits below the tank exactly the thickness of a set of the 55 gallon glass tops (meaning the glass tops would be flush with the top of the tank not above it). I think for now I'm going to leave the brace where it is, but like you mentioned clean up the silicone a bit and see how it works out. If nothing else, it shouldn't be too hard to move it later on if I decide it's in the way or not needed.

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #6 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-26-2007, 09:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

That's makes sense that it holds the lid flush. The extra silicone flashing might be a good thing if you plan on supporting any weight with the brace itself.

post #7 of 55 (permalink) Old 12-28-2007, 08:30 AM

Great looking tank. Can't wait to see it completed.
Are you going to put the lights on top of a glass lid or are you going to suspend the light with the ceiling or something? I think it would look better if the light fixture was suspended, sort of like a pendant light.
The first pic looks like you put a trim on the top or maybe it's a light fixture/lid?
post #8 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 11:02 PM

Hi,
I was thinking about a tank simular though not quite that big.
Keep the pictures comming, this will be a nice thread to follow.
Thanks
post #9 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslizards View Post
Great looking tank. Can't wait to see it completed.
Are you going to put the lights on top of a glass lid or are you going to suspend the light with the ceiling or something? I think it would look better if the light fixture was suspended, sort of like a pendant light.
Well my original idea was to pendant mount some lights, though I was having some problems sourcing the ones I wanted without spending a king's ransom. Since fluorescent is one of the most efficient sources out there I was thinking a couple of 12" PCs, but I already have a single lamp T5HO fixture I was wanting to use (in the first picture). I really didn't want to mount the fixtures from the ceiling (for several reasons), so I decided to use 1/2" conduit to build a "pendant frame" from which to suspend the lights.

Of course right after I bought all of the conduit, I found a double T5HO fixture (pic attached) for a great price which I think will work great. Trying to get two fixtures to light all of the tank (or three fixtures etc.) evenly was gonna be a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by leoslizards View Post
The first pic looks like you put a trim on the top or maybe it's a light fixture/lid?
I just sat a fixture I already had on top of the tank to see what the tank would look like when lit. That's my 2" x 2" T5HO fixture simply sitting on top of the tank for light.
Attached Images

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #10 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlong View Post
Hi,
I was thinking about a tank simular though not quite that big.
Keep the pictures comming, this will be a nice thread to follow.
Thanks
I figure a tank with the same dimensions except only 36" long (about 25 gallons) would allow the center brace to be liminated. It'd probably make a great display tank.

I have most of the equipment I need to setup the tank, so pending the substrate and heater's arrival I'll be all set to get this project under way.

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #11 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hey Andrew, where'd you find that light? I've been looking around for them but no dice.

post #12 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:14 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

$62.99 on eBay

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=120202210421

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #13 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 04:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I just got back from vacation so my camera is full, but I'll try to get some pics of it mounted on my tank soon

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #14 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 12:01 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Alright, time for some updates...

I have some other photos on the camera I haven't looked at yet to see how they came out, and the aquascape isn't even started yet. I just put the plants & rocks into the tank for now, and will do the scaping once I get my driftwood and some more plants this weekend. Plus I need to get my CO2 tank filled and then I can move over the shrimps.

More to come

Thanks,
AndrewH

post #15 of 55 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Hahaa, sweet! thanks for the link, I see they have a 4 bulb that fits my tank for only $92 Now I don't have to shell out >300 for a tek light. Yours doesn't reek of smoke or electricity does it?

The tank looks great so far, can't wait to see more plants.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode