Gareth's 105 Gallon planted Robotank Journal (Tank Pics 03/12/08) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (0/0%)
Gareth's 105 Gallon planted Robotank Journal (Tank Pics 03/12/08)

Well, I've been quiet for a while as I have been wrapped up in a personal business venture that will be made public soon (more on that later). I have decided however to set up a pretty crazy planted aquarium again, partly as a showpiece for a webiste I'm building too (again, more on that later).

Right now the tank is as follows:

105 Gallon aquarium (72" x 18" x 18")
Lighting: 4 x 96 watt Compact Flourescents, 4 x 65 watt Compact Flourescents (4 ballasts total)
Filters: Rena XP4, Rena XP3, Coralife Turbotwist 18 watt UV Sterilizer
CO2: 15lb CO2 Tank, JBJ Regulator/Needle Valve/Solenoid, Aquamedic CO2 Reactor 1000
Electronics: TWO GHL Profilux Aquarium computers controlling 20 outlets and 4 Tunze Nanostreams, LAN Modules installed, 4 Pump dosing unit from GHL (on the way) for dosing ferts, Pentium 4 2.8 Ghz with 8" touchscreen LCD for mouseless operation of the GHL software, remote viewer for Profilux #1 (CO2, lighting, temperature and auto top off controller), wireless N router acting as a switch for all the equipment and as a wireless extension for my LAN.
Extra's: 5 stage 90 GPD RO unit from Spectrapure with Solenoid (controlled by the profilux via a float sensor in the tank)
Substrate: 5 Bags Flourite Black Sand, 5 Bags Flourite Black

The tank is by no means ready. Currently I am curing several pieces of driftwood I imported from Indonesia that look pretty awesome, but I don't have the substrate yet.

Here are some of the pics of the electronics as it stands today... More to follow!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring3.jpg
Views:	904
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	5126  

Name:	wiring4.jpg
Views:	727
Size:	168.4 KB
ID:	5127  

Name:	wiring5.jpg
Views:	708
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	5128  

Name:	viewer.jpg
Views:	682
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	5129  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by GDominy; 03-12-2008 at 08:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 08:19 AM

high tech sh*t.. i luv it. i can't wait to see the tank in its full glory. very clean setup.
post #3 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 09:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Where do you guys come up with the cash to finance these tanks? I MUST be in the wrong line of business.

That truely does redefine "hi tech tank".

Looks like I might need to integrate some of my computer skilz just to keep up with you guys.

Nice setup. I am definately jealous.

post #4 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 11:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (16/100%)
I'll second your comment Biscuit, I am in the wrong business as well!

Great setup, cannot wait to see it in action.
post #5 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 12:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Send a message via AIM to RoseHawke Send a message via MSN to RoseHawke
Whoa! That's some pretty serious stuff there! I pulled up the pic first and was confused then started reading what it was actually for . Read it off to hubby who was very impressed. Talk about automated ! Way to go!

Sláinte!
Cindy

-
— 2wpg CF lighting; pressurized CO2; 18 watt Turbo-twist UVS; Eheim Pro II 2028; eco-complete; 2 Pearl Gouramis; 7 Harlequin Rasboras; 3 Otocinclus catfish

— lo-tech; 1.8 wpg DIY CF light; no CO2; Aquaclear mini; Schultz substrate; java fern; java moss; 7 Neon Tetras; 1 flame dwarf gourami
post #6 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 02:23 PM

PTrader: (15/100%)
dam thats so hi tech!
post #7 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 03:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (25/100%)
tank

Are you using the computer soley for the tank? I've read a few hi-tech planted threads they are great, I'll definatly subscribe to this one. Good luck and keep the posts coming.
post #8 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (90/100%)
Send a message via AIM to A Hill
Well, you win the craziest award .

Seriously though, what is going into this tank that you're spending all this on high tech.

Whats your "business venture?" is it somewhere along the lines of tank maintenance from sitting at your office?

How about pictures of the tank itself?

-Andrew
post #9 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 05:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Wow nice and clean setup. This is the first time I see this controller in use, how do you like it? does it provide trend charts? similar to AC3? Can't wait to see the tank.

post #10 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-24-2007, 05:09 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to natx Send a message via Skype™ to natx
Cool server rack but where are the plants?

post #11 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

This computer is actually a dual purpose unit, it is my media PC for my home theatre as well as a dedicated data harvester from teh profiluxes. I"m writing some software to take data from the logs and render it to a graph and webpage in real time.

There are no plants yet as I am waiting for my substrate to be delivered, I am going to be posting as I go ;-). I will have some pics of the hardscape soon as I think I have it all planned out. I should have the substrate in by friday.

I am planning on housing a ton of Galaxy rasboras in this tank as I have a breeding group of 10 at hte moment that I am trying to spawn a bit more consistently. They will be the only fish in this tank for a while, aside from a group of ottos. I wont be introducing any of the shrimp untill I have had a couple of sucsessful spawns from the galaxy rasboras as the shrimp ravenously devour any of their eggs.

This is hands down the best aquarium computer I have ever used. I have played with several and havent found any that have this level of sophistication (I manage a fish store, get to play with a lot of equipment).

My new business venture is twofold, I do aquascaping privately, and I am now distributing imported driftwoods from Indonesia. I have my first shipment (10 Tons) already and its going fast. The web site will be up soon. This tank is to show off the wood, and sort of a "visual resume"

post #12 of 252 (permalink) Old 12-25-2007, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Oh yes, and I'll be introducing about 100 Crystal Red shrimp as well. Probably nothing high grade, but I can get them fairly cheaply through work

post #13 of 252 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:25 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

Ok.... 5 Bags of Flourite Black and 5 bags of Flourite Black Sand later.. Voila!

I am waiting for things to clear up before I start doing more finicky rock arranging.. but so far I am pretty happy with the arragement.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	105g.jpg
Views:	747
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	5250  

post #14 of 252 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:27 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (59/100%)
Love the wood, very natural looking. I'm not too partial on that many stones of that kind though...
post #15 of 252 (permalink) Old 01-06-2008, 05:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

I"m still experimenting with the rockwork. The tank is really cloudy still so I can't see all too well how it will look yet. This tank is going to be more hardscape then plants, like many of my tanks have been, so they may be more emphasis on making a more "wild" look. The rivers in my area are almost entirely made up of rock like this (thats where they came from).

This is only the first day its been filled. So it will change a lot over the next couple of weeks while I figure out where I want to put various things.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode