29 Gallon Planted from a Newbie - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to shwerm601
Smile 29 Gallon Planted from a Newbie

I have a 55 and a 29 gallon freshwater but this is my first experience with plants so here goes nothing...

Currently, I have few large helping of Java Fern, a cryptocoryne, a narrow-leaf hygrophila, and some dwarf saggitaria. All plants appear to be getting better.

Little algae problem I believe, but SAEs are taking care of it.

So far as a first time planted tank experience I would say things have gone very smoothly. I took my time, did my research, luckily meet a local friend who was able to sell me the cuttings for my tank at a reasonable price. I have a store bought DIYc02 injector which came with a submersible pump for c02 diffusion. Lighting is 65 watt coralife 6500k and I know it could be more. However, plants seem to be doing well under this amount, down the road I do intend on upgrading to the coralife 2x65watt 6500k setup and moving this one to 15 gallon that will be a planted.

I am open to any suggestions...

Also, I am considering adding another power jet because the driftwood is roughly 10inches deep (front to back) and the java fern behind it almost makes it hard for water to flow from left to right side? Does this sound resonable to anyone else? If so any suggestion on the best place to put the power jet, I was thinking front top right corner facing to the left side??

Also, do you recomend trimming leaves that are not doing so well? Ive read its best to leave a tank for 2-3 months before any trimming. Just pick out floating leaves and do water changes and filter issues but leave trimming for a few months?

Thanks for looking,hope you enjoy the pictures!
2 full views:
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/DSC00121.jpg
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/DSC00120.jpg
close-up of left side small plants
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/DSC00122.jpg
java fern/sae close-up
http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w...d/DSC00117.jpg

Ill update weekly, I look forward to everyons input and oppinions since I am new to this aspect of aquariums.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 11:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
I like it. I suggest getting a background though. It would look better. Add some Stem Plants like Sunset Hygro! It would look fantastic IMO.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 12:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to shwerm601
The background was my only oversight. It slipped my mind, but I am thinking of adding all black. Ive heard planted backgrounds dont look good on planted tanks, and also I dont want a rocky textured background because i dont feel it would go well with this tank.

In a few weeks I am adding a school of cardinal tetras to give it a little more color.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-23-2007, 12:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Send a message via MSN to James From Cali Send a message via Yahoo to James From Cali
Yes that would definitely be colorful. As to answer your questions.

1)I think that you should be fine with waterflow. If anything add a powerhead and insert CO2 as well that way. Then you get dual purposes .

2)If the leaves are mushy, brown and see through then remove them. The plant uses nutrients that are needed else where to repair the leaf. If its on say the Jave Fern and its brown just remove it but if its kinda sploctchy with blackish spots then dont be too worried.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode