Got Reefs? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to waterfaller1
Got Reefs?

Let's see them..

Last edited by waterfaller1; 04-07-2008 at 10:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:40 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Beautiful tanks waterfaller!
I have to admit I'm pretty much saltwater illiterate...lol...I've always loved the look of reef setups but just been too intimidated to take the plunge I guess.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 05:50 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (11/100%)
Awesome tanks! I agree with jinx about the saltwater thing. Maybe someday...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Filstar Pimp #130

My 55G:

post #4 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 08:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Love the giant clam and the blue starfish.

I shyed away from SW too...couldn't bear the possible financial hit if one of my critters died.
post #5 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 08:48 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Waterfaller - Your tanks are amazing. I have several questions for you:

How difficult do you thing keeping reef tanks are compared to planted tanks?

How do you like that nano cube for your mini reef? Did you make any mods like lighting, protien skimmer, etc?

I have been eyeballing a nano cube for a mini reef for a while, but I don't know if I want to mess with trying to cram light kits into the hood or just go with the 28 gallon HQI.

Great tanks dude!
post #6 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 09:22 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
I had a small reef for 10+ yrs (20 gallon with MH lights). Now just getting back in to planted tanks. I'd say they're pretty close if you are comparing hi-tech in both categories, but planted is less stressful as far as maintenance goes.

Reefs might be a little more difficult to control nutrients so a good water purification system can become important, depending on your source water. If you do a sump well, you can harvest some algae to help with nutrients. There's the calcium reactor which is about equivalent to doing pressurized CO in the planted tank. Quality lights are equally important with reefs requiring more wattage. I think the livestock in reefs might be a little more expensive but most are no less hardy given the correct conditions.

Algae control in the reef is more difficult than a planted tank and almost any dummy (a relative) can sit a freshwater tank and do water changes where finding a competent sitter for the reef was almost impossible.

I'd say planted is less stressful given you can be a little more lax on water quality and it is easier to leave them in the hands of a care taker.
post #7 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 09:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thank you all so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiscuitSlayer View Post
Waterfaller - Your tanks are amazing. I have several questions for you:

How difficult do you thing keeping reef tanks are compared to planted tanks?

How do you like that nano cube for your mini reef? Did you make any mods like lighting, protien skimmer, etc?

I have been eyeballing a nano cube for a mini reef for a while, but I don't know if I want to mess with trying to cram light kits into the hood or just go with the 28 gallon HQI.

Great tanks dude!
Keeping a reef requires alot of research,& a great LFS geared towards reefs.
It is not inexpensive, but a nano is much easier now than it was in the past. I love my nano.
It took me several years to get where I am{since 03'} and they are not flawless. I still battle algae, aiptasia, mojano,planeria, and if I am not extremely careful~ redbugs~acro eating flatworms, montipora eating nudibranchs, flukes, ich....the list is long.
If careful selection of corals, fish, inverts, is taken into consideration and bulbs are changed when due, water changes performed weekly, with QUALITY salt mix, top off with fresh RO/DI daily..the nano does extremely well without dosing.
The lighting is stock, and as you see my corals hold their color.
No protein skimmer on the nano. Only small fish are kept , and my clean-up crew is efficient and diverse.
Don't take this the wrong way please...but coming here to learn about fw planted was harder for me than the reefkeeping. The reefkeeping community as a whole, seems more forthcoming with info than the fw community. I was very intimidated when I first started reasearching this. An RO/DI unit is a must, with quality filters..not the home improvement store type.
Mods to the nano are:
Pump has to be changed
Surface skimmer is added
I can help you find your way around if you are serious, just let me know.
Oh..and it's 'dudette'
post #8 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-20-2007, 11:05 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
"Don't take this the wrong way please...but coming here to learn about fw planted was harder for me than the reefkeeping. The reefkeeping community as a whole, seems more forthcoming with info than the fw community."

I've been out of reefs for a couple years, but was a regular on reefcentral and reefs.org and have noticed that too. Do you think this is because there are a lot of "aquascape" type planted tank competitions whereas I don't recall that for reefs (this might have changed over the last few years).

While there is a lot of swap/sales here, I also think the reef hobby was more dependent upon itself for propagating livestock (coral anyways) and better learning to care for it. Helping someone out further achieved that goal with little lost in the way of competition.
post #9 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 12:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Sorry dudette. Are you running an 12 DX? I was thinking about adding another light or two and changing from 50/50 bulbs to streight 20000K and actnics. Any thoughts?
post #10 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 12:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (86/100%)
Hey Watterfaller1 where in Orlando do you get your salty stuff?
post #11 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 04:06 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
There are some tough to keep corals in that 90g. they look awesome! Good job.

Regards,
Sam
  • 150g dirt tank (work in progress)
  • 100g corner community tank
  • 180g Native North American fish
  • 85g bichir lair
  • 45g flatback hex dirt tank
  • 75g blackwater tank
  • 40 breeder dollar sunfish
post #12 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-21-2007, 01:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
Very pretty tanks.

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #13 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (14/100%)
Send a message via AIM to nellis
That blue acro is stunning. Nice job!

post #14 of 268 (permalink) Old 12-22-2007, 10:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Thanks everyone for such kind words.
Yes, it is a DX. Personally I would not put a ton of light over a NC unless you have a plan to keep it cool with extra fans and possibly a chiller. Certainly not within the hood. It's already borderline IMO, and I keep my home cool & I changed out the pump. Then there is the option to remove the top and run a pendant or clip-on, but every sw nano fish can/may jump.
As I said, careful selection of corals and they keep their color just fine without a bunch of light. I have had some of those corals in that tank about three years....and they still look good.
post #15 of 268 (permalink) Old 03-16-2008, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Hey Watterfaller1 where in Orlando do you get your salty stuff?
Missed this before..only 1 place in Orlando~ Sea In The City. I am partial, as I worked there for years, even for the original owner. A funny thing happened. A customer and her husband were there one day. I recognized her from when we were 6 years old..in NJ...over 40 years ago! She bought the shop, and we became best friends!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode