Eclipse 37g-Updated 2-6-08 - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Eclipse 37g-Updated 2-6-08

Hello everyone! Well, this is my first serious planted tank project. I am new, but I have been reading all over this forum for a few months. I was given an Eclipse 37 gallon tank and cherry stand a week or so ago and figured it would be perfect for my tank. The plants and fish came out of a 55 holding tank. The lighting for now is the standard 2x20w T8's with another 20w T8 set where the back cover would go-it just happened to fit perfectly there. I have 3 corys and a few otos. The filter media and most of the gravel/ water came out of my old tank, so I believe I didn't have a cycling period, correct? Anyways, here are some pictures of the tank:

I would love for you guys to help me along with this tank. It is going to be a low tech for sure, but I just want it to look 1% as nice as some of the tanks I have seen on here. All of my plants are simple, too. There are java fern, anubias, wisteria, bacopa, ozelot sword, anarchis, dwarf sag, and java moss. (Please excuse the dirty socks in the first pic!)

Last edited by leodeal384; 02-06-2008 at 10:31 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 03:32 AM

That looks great. Cant wait to see it mrore filled out.
post #3 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 11:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
Looks good for a first tank. Nice choice of plants, looks like you've done some research

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 06:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks guys! I did try to make sure I got plants I could handle. I should mention that I am using excel on this tank until I get some kind of co2 setup, if I even need it. I will see how the plants do with excel and 60w of light and if I am happy, I will leave it be. In the future I will probably be changing lights, adding co2, and changing the gravel to something more plant suitable. So for now this tank is ok, right? The temp stays at 79-80*F, I will be doing more testing later on sometime and get back with those results.
post #5 of 28 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 06:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Whatever you do, upgrade CO2 before the lights. You could even benefit from a little CO2 without a light upgrade. CO2 won't require more lighting, but lighting will eventually require CO2.

Everything is OK as long as the plants respond positively to the light you have now, growth should be slow except from the wisteria. And I wouldn't use the wisteria to gauge the effectiveness of the light, it will try to take over the world regardless, although it's leaf shape should very under low light.

Make sure to test your KH and GH, two of the most important factors that a lot of people overlook.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok, I cleaned up my other posts and I am combining everything together. I have a lot of new italian vals and some corkscrew vals, plus 6 new java ferns. I can't make up my mind on the arrangement of everything, but I like this so far. The plant list is now-italian and corkscrew vals, anubias nana, java fern, java moss, bacopa sp., green ozelot, and a tiny sword that broke off a larger one. I still have somewhere around 5 otos and 3 cories. Anyone have any suggestions on fish selection? I was thinking about 12-15 tetras and a pair of blue rams or maybe angelfish. This tank is large enough for 2 angels right? Another question is what kind of fertilizers should I use? I give it flourish excel, but nothing else. I had wisteria in here that got pale and spotted, so I need some micro nutrients, right? Sorry for the long post I just want to get some stuff straight. I managed to tear all the java moss off of my driftwood while putting the new java ferns on, so it is scattered all around my tank now. I had it looking nice too...

post #7 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-02-2008, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

37gl is a tad tight for two full grown angels IMO, but technically it's enough room. Just watch them as they mature, if you have two of the same sex, you may get a lot of aggression.

You only have about 1.6wpg from normal output fluorescent, so you won't need much in the way of ferts once the tank is fully stocked and established. In the meantime and if you see deficiencies, you'll want to have sources of phosphate, nitrate, potassium and traces with some iron. Seachem sells it all separately in the Flourish line, or you can get it dry from bestaquariumregulator.com. You might want to frequent the low tech forum for dosing advice, I wouldn't start up a full on dosing regime with that level of light, plants can't take in nutrients that fast until they are driven by high output light. Don't run out and buy a ton of light because I said that, just stop into the low tech forum and figure out what you need to do for ferts.

The new setup and plants are looking good. I would feed the grasses root tabs every few months until you figure out your dosing needs.

post #8 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 02:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I was wondering about the root tabs...I guess they are worth getting? I will scratch the angel idea-I don't want to risk anything. I will just leave the tank as it is for now and see how the growth is in a month or two, hopefully I won't need any ferts. Do you think that the vals will do alright under this light, or should I start another topic in the low tech forum?
post #9 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 03:59 AM

PTrader: (2/100%)
37g is a good tank for angels.Nice and tall! . I would get one or three though to spread agression.
post #10 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 04:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
How are your vals doing with your excel dosing? I've read time and again that excel will melt vallisneria, and Im curious to see if this is occuring for you. I'm afraid of dosing excel in my tank for this reason alone.

Perhaps the wisteria wasn't getting enough light? Pale is often an iron deficiency, but despite wisteria's prolific growth, it does like light.
post #11 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Excel has never affected my Val nana, that's the only val I have though.

Leo, if you want two angels, it's a good idea to get an odd number and try to get a mated pair hooked up, then trade the others back. I did it with two young ones and they were at each other from day one. Now I'm left with one half grown who has a major attitude and I'm very reluctant to try introducing potential mates anymore. When I say 37g is a tad tight IMO, I mean by personal taste I feel like they clutter the tank. I'm sure the fish won't know the difference between that or a 65gl. They can get extremely large though. I won't be setting up anymore planted tanks with anything large like angels or discus taking up space, that's not to say I won't still have some as wet pets.

post #12 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Alright, I got some root tabs today. Spread them all along the back under the vals. Frosty, I haven't had the vals in my tank long enough to show any changes...only 2 days. I hadn't heard about excel being bad for them-I will stop anyways just incase. I am mixing up some diy co2 soon, I have done it once before and it worked pretty good...I'm just not sure about how the eclipse filter will like the co2? I tried picturing a full grown angel in my tank and I have definately decided it would clutter it. I really like the look of a school of fish better than one larger fish. Thanks for the comments!
post #13 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Send a message via AIM to FrostyNYC
Leodeal - Noooo. I want you to continue using the excel to serve as my test subject for the effects of excel on vals.

Regarding the DIY CO2, I was hesitant to run it into my own eclipse filter and instead bought a glass diffuser on Ebay. You could just go with a wood airstone if the filter starts making noise.
post #14 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-03-2008, 10:02 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Don't be afraid to skimp on the root tabs. Root bases can get pretty large and expansive, I usually only put about 3 or so tabs along the back.

post #15 of 28 (permalink) Old 01-04-2008, 02:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ha...Well I put 8 along the back and 2 up front on the sides! I figured since the roots weren't long at all I would need the tabs close to the plants. Frosty-I am not going to risk sacrificing all these vals to be a test subject. These plants shouldn't really NEED excel anyways. I can use it on other tanks. About the tabs-I don't think I can find them now, will it hurt to leave them in? Is it overkill?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode