(update) to Need help aquascaping, Minor adjustments 12-15-07(56k no) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (8/100%)
(update) to Need help aquascaping, Minor adjustments 12-15-07(56k no)

Hello all, This aquarium has been a type of cesspool. Im new to the aquascaping and Im in need of desperate help making this aquarium look better and flow. What can I do to make this aquarium look amazing.

Some minor specs
-46g Bowfront
-magnum 350 running filter floss only
-sms substrate
-running seachem flourish,excel, potasium and iron
-DIY yeast generator total of 7 leters injected into power head

Last edited by mnellis3023; 12-16-2007 at 03:59 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
...photo??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 02:47 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Here's the pics

Left Side

Right Side

And two of the six GBA'S

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 03:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looks nice, better than expected. You could use some mid ground plants in front of the tall stems. Everything looks like it could benefit from some tighter pruning. As it is now, each plants is acting strongly as it's own focal point so there isn't really one spot that draws the eye in. That's about all I can say, keep adding more smaller plants and mess around with the arrangement, see if you can create more depth and a visual hierarchy that brings everything to a focal point. Nice growth!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 03:16 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
You say cesspool but it's not that bad looking. The mention of only filter floss in the canister could be improved a bit with some bio media...

The water may be clear as a bell but no bio colony helping with ammonia spikes.

I'd agree trim back on those stem groups would help.

RIP - 55g - Eheim 2026 and 2217 - DIY CO2 reactor - Turbo Twist 3x - Tek Light t5 pendant w/ 2x54 6500k - ecocomplete mixed with Red Sea florabase.
"Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube" - HST
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 03:16 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Ok, I stared longer so let me elaborate on the hierarchy. I do see one in your scape, the eye bounces first from the large red stem to the pink, then the grass draws the eye down to the crypts. That works, but I think other elements could be stronger rather than the reds dominating the eye, and I think some more depth could be created with midground plants and tighter pruning.

My sig pic is the first real time I started to put a hierarchy in a tank, it isn't as effective as I'd hoped, but here's how it was intended to go. The sand beach and "hollow log" (main focal points) grab the eye, the right side greenery draws the eye up into a counter clockwise direction, the light pink plant turns the eye left and across the top of the tank where the red brings you back down and back into the sand beach with the help of the left side greens. The hierarchy was intended to be a counter clockwise circle, although I think there are many things I could do to accentuate it that I just don't realize. All you can do then is add new plants, figure them out and move things around until you see something happen. Yours is a V, or I think some call it a U, but yours is a very tight U. Whatever you want to call it, it's probably a good thing in a bowfront, because as you try to add more midground, the sides are going to fill up quick and get darkened. The shadows there will still help accentuate a V or U down to a central focal. Or you could do a heavy rescape and create a strong central focal point, say a tall cluster of manzanita and stem plants, with the two sides being bare, maybe beaches or carpets. That would work well with the tank shape, especially in person. Not sure what they're calling that, but I like tanks like that also.

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 03:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Jaidexl~
Thank you for the help.
So with your recomendations in mind, should I

1- replant some of the stems in tighter bunches in the corners of the tank, then find a way to provide a center point(driftwood, cave, maybe driftwood with java firn attached).
2- Scrap the current scape and do something different while keeping the current plants but adding other contrasting plants(leafy, dark, green, oddball stuff) and impelmenting other focal points such as drift wood, caves center point plant.
3- Scrap the current scape AND PLANTS, for something completely new and unique

Also, my buddy is giving me approx. 2, 3g buckets full of java fern that I am either gonna pawn off, or use in one of my two tanks
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 04:22 AM

PTrader: (0/0%)
I would add either E. Tenellus or dwarf hairgrass to the center front and put the crypts behind the lower growing plants. I think it really nice.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 04:45 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Driftwood is up to you. Hard to say what you should do to your tank, depends on the effort you want to put in. I'm not very good at seeing others' visions

But, if I had a bowfront, or a cube, I would do something like this...

NATURE AQUARIUM WORLD BOOK (3?)

It's probably what I'm going to try next in my 65gl, anyway, but completely bare on the far sides.

I think If I were to keep the large corner stems as you have them, I'd remove a few of the forward stems of each, making room for some bright green midground plants. I'd trim the tall red stems at the half way point, and leave the long lower stems of each to act as the permanent fixture of the plants, hidden behind midgrounds. That will make them branch fuller from the mid point up, pouring out over the top of the greens, rather than the bottom getting so bushy or talking up space from the footprint of the tank. I'd trim the tops of the green midgrounds in the same direction as the U to help carry the eye down and nestle the red plumes along the way. The center I can't think about right now. I like the grass thing you have going though, maybe a thinner, darker variety might add more contrast. What Matt said for foreground.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

something Ive been kicking arround in my brain is allot like the tank you provided the pic of. But what I had in mind was grouping the stems in the center of the tank, making a thick full center point. Then on each corner either putting the crypts or java fern in, then filling the front edges with bylxa japonica or some other plant
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-14-2007, 12:38 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Just for a quick change My buddy gave me some java fern, so I using fishing line and tied it to a piece of driftwood. I removed the rocks behind the crypts and put it in its place
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 03:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I got some java moss from a buddy, and some micro sword. I did some triming and some minor movements. Its not the best but I was in a huge hurry

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode