Saint27's - 75 and 5.5 gallon tanks - (New Pictures 1/29/08) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (12/100%)
Send a message via MSN to saint27 Send a message via Yahoo to saint27
Saint27's - 75 and 5.5 gallon tanks - (New Pictures 1/29/08)

Well I thought I would share what I have been up to lately. I have been working on two tanks. A low-tech 75g and a high tech 5.5g.

Click to enlarge

75g is still in my living room right now and is soon it to be overhauled and moved. I have a bag of SMS charcoal waiting to be used as the new substrate. I bought this tank used and that is where the pink crap came from. I kept it until I could get my hands on some SMS. As part of the move I am going to be building a new stand of it as well. I just updated the light from 2 T12 bulbs to 2 T8 bulbs overdriven 2x.

Here is the Profile I have more picture of the tank there as well as more information.

I am in collection mode right now for the rebuild. I am thinking about some more hygro varieties. Maybe giant and compact if I can find them.

Click to enlarge

The 5.5g is in my office and is a semi high-tech tank. I am running CO2 and dosing spairingly. It is home to a number of Cherry shrimp. I am think of converting this to a 20L that I have in storage. But that will have to wait until I am done with the 75g.

Here is the Profile. I have more picture of the tank there as well as more information.

Last edited by saint27; 01-29-2008 at 05:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 12:01 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
your dwarf sag isn't so dwarf anymore

did you know how they become huge like that? i'd like to learn if you do... i want to keep them small.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-13-2007, 07:18 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I am really not sure what happened. Here is a picture of them a little over a month ago.

They stayed like that for a long time then all of a sudden they shot up. Thing that have changed since then. I have been more aggressive in keeping them from spreading. I have been keeping up with my dosing better. I increased the CO2.

I couple of other thoughts are the bulb on that side is starting to get pretty old. Maybe the light intensity has gone down enough to trigger the growth. The substrate is Schultz and I haven't added root tabs to it in the last two years. So maybe the roots have exhausted the nutrients in the soil and that spurred more top growth. Which have also been cause by my aggressive pruning as well now that I think about it.

Maybe someone with more experience can chime in.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Saint27's 75 and 5.5 gallon tanks

Here is a update of how the tanks are doing.

Here is the 75g. Things are growing at a decent rate. Plant mass is increasing nicely. I am having trouble with Black Beard and Black Thread Algea.

Click on the picture for fullsize.

Here is the 5.5g. I did a pretty big hack on the Dwarf Sag. I pulled it all out and picked out some short ones to replant and start over. I added the HM or Pearlweed, split up the petite nana. The Fissidens seems to be growing nicely as well. I am waiting/wishing it would spread out a little more though.

Click on the picture for fullsize.

High Tech:

Last edited by saint27; 01-22-2008 at 11:08 PM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-29-2008, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Here is a quick update on my 5.5g. The HM has definately taken root and growing well. The Fissidens is starting to spread out as well. Some BBA is starting to show up and well as some diatoms. I increased the CO2 trying to beat it back. Let me know what you think.

Click on Pictures for Full Size

High Tech:

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode