windfish's ADA Mini-M (see last post for photos) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
windfish's ADA Mini-M (see last post for photos)

12/4/07

My first ADA tank came in the mail today in great condition thanks to Aquaforest. I can't wait to get started with this aquarium. It's been about 6 months since I tore down my last planted tank and I've been itching to get another one started. When it arrived I placed it where I think I want to put it-a shelf area built into my room above my desk.

The cannister filter (Eheim Ecco 2232) and CO2 unit (probably the Red Sea paintball kit) will sit on my desk and connect to the tank via some large holes already present in the shelves. The ADA mini Solar should fit with room to spare according to its dimensions.

I will have to make my final decision when I get everything together in the next few weeks. The only problem I see with doing this is working with the aquascape, but if I need to I can move the shelf above it up a few more inches for more space.

Thanks for reading everyone, and thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Last edited by windfish; 07-06-2008 at 12:58 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
hello, that's a nice placement there in the cabinet. i have a similar problem like that before. what i do is put something in about the same level as the shelf there, pull the tank out a bit, then do the scaping. after that you can just slide it in again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (11/100%)
Looks promising. May I suggest you put the filter on the left and move the printer. Why did you decide to go with Aquaforrest when ADG is closer to you? What scape do you have In mind? some lamp eye or micro-rasboras would be nice in there.

ADA 120P x2 Iwagumi ADA 75P, 60Px3, 30Cx3 ADA Mini S solar (LED) Mini M solar Do!aqua Mini M

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:52 AM

I dont know how possible it would be for you but you might be able to take on of those circular drill bits and drill holes so the hoses and lines arent laying everywhere.
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 02:57 AM
Planted Member

Looking forward to updates

--Daniel

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Just a thought but you could buy a pair of drawer slides and mount a shelf within your shelving for the tank to sit on. Would make it alot easier when tinkering in the tank.

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:11 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

ikuzo: Thanks for the tip. Maybe I could rig up some sort of stong sliding shelf to put the tank on.

MARIMOBALL: I actually didn't realize that ADG had the mini tanks in stock again. A while ago when I was looking at ADA tanks they were out, so I just sort of blindly ordered from Aquaforest. The rest of my supplies will be coming from ADG for sure.

matt s: Actually there are already holes. The dotted portions on my amazing diagram indicate where the hoses and CO2 line pass up through the bottom of the shelf and through the wall to the right of the tank. The holes were originally there for lamp power cords but now they will serve a much better purpose.

Yoshi: Thanks!

Edit: Looks like you beat me to the idea, jinx! I'm looking into that right now.
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
lol...Home Depot has a wide selection in their kitchen cabinet section. Just calculate the weight of your tank and take the needed measurements.

The only issue that enters my mind using the slides will be the slack needed in your wires and hoses to allow the travel.

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-06-2007, 02:39 AM
Planted Member

I second Matt S' vote to move the printer and put the filter + Co2 on the left. Check out the ADA pics of that are floating around here. The tubes are always on the left side. Part of the reason Amano does this is that the left side has the light stand clutter. I have to run mine either on the back or the right side. I like the flow better with them in the side position, but the "flow" of the tank is blown off a bit. God I need some elbows to get them on the left. Good luck keep us updated.

-ADA mini s- 29g low tech -
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 10:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Good idea. I think there should be enough room to run the tubes up through the holes on the right side and route them behind the tank to enter it from the left. This seems to make the most sense as I would like to use the holes already present in the shelves.

12/7/07

I ordered my substrate and other goodies from ADG last night.

1x small bag of Aquasoil
1x small bag of Power Sand Special S
1x small bag of Bright Sand.
1x Lily Pipe Mini Inflow
1x Lily Pipe Mini Outflow

And to top it off, some small pieces of Old Black Wood that Jeff Senske threw in for FREE with my order for the hardscape. Thanks Jeff!

I envision the aquascape as having a Bright Sand foreground with a narrow part that goes to the back of the tank dividing it into two planted areas, with one being larger than the other. It follows the sand "river" cutting-through-a-forest set-up that I've seen in a few tanks on the 'net, with the sandy area divided from the Aquasoil by low-growing plants and small stones, and wood covered with moss.

I want to try and use riccia stones, HC and maybe anubias nana "petite" for the foreground, and rotala sp "green" or indica for the background, and maybe some HM. However, I need some suggestions for the midground. Maybe E. tenellus? Blyxa? I've always had trouble with the midground.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
midground : pogostemon helferi

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

12/11/07

I received my ADA stuff from ADG today. Everything was very professionally packed, and Jeff Senske included lots of nice Old Black Wood for free. I highly recommend them for their excellent service.

I decided I would go ahead and try to arrange some of the wood. Here's what I came up with:

The rubber bands are temporary; I just want to keep the wood the way it is until I fully set up the tank. What do you think?
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-11-2007, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Cool tank placement, but it looks like its going to be a PITA to maintain, especially during planting and trimming time.

Driftwood is cool looking.

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 12:58 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmccreedy View Post
Cool tank placement, but it looks like its going to be a PITA to maintain, especially during planting and trimming time.

Driftwood is cool looking.
Surprisingly, I found that I can reach in fairly easily and move stuff around while I was adjusting the wood. I'm still considering just moving it down to the desktop though...

The wood is actually 3 branches that I fit together like puzzle pieces. I'm proud of what I managed to come up with; I'm rarely happy with my hardscape arrangements.
post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 12-16-2007, 05:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I need some advice:

What plants does everyone recommend for this setup?

How should I lay out the sand? I can't decide between laying it with a slight curve across the front of the tank or having it go all the way down the front and the right side for a "corner" type setup.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode