Struggle in the jungle OR How to balance your tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:23 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Struggle in the jungle OR How to balance your tank

In the Pearlweed thicket, a Cherry Shrimp didn't watch out and some quick scissors are holding on to its tail. It struggles for its life... but the Dwarf Cray got a good grip.

While holding on to the tail, the Cray snips off legs and antennae.

Starting on the tail end, the Cherry slowly disappears in the Crays mouth. Hmmm... Shrimp cocktail!

I am not good with feeding fish and invertebrates... often they have to fend for themselves. Algae feeds Cherries, Cherries feed Fish and Crays, and I am just standing back...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:27 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (22/100%)
great pics!

Although I have to admit that the sight of a dwarf cray eating a shrimp or fish disheartens me....

....and it still makes me wonder when I read folks claim that dwarf crays are okay with shrimp....
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 09:38 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Thanks! And of course the crays are okay with shrimp, delicious.

If there are approx 723 Cherry shrimp in your 10 gal tank, maybe a few getting eaten is actually a good thing.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 10:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
If there are approx 723 Cherry shrimp in your 10 gal tank, maybe a few getting eaten is actually a good thing.
LOL! Imagine, instead of a carpet of HC, you have a blood red RCS carpet hahahahha
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 10:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Wingsdlc
It should lead to a stronger healthier population. I guess....

5.65WPG, EI dosing

4WPG, EI dosing

April 2008

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:03 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via AIM to natx Send a message via Skype™ to natx
I need to find something to eat all the platy fry in my tank.

edit: although I suppose the obvious solution is the hungry fellow pictured in my avatar.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:18 PM
Banned

why didnt you stop him!
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (266/100%)
Hehe. My crays ate my RCS all the time. I kept wondering why I didn't see many shrimplets.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
ha...Great pictures, thanks for sharing.

I think you just shoved the circle of life peg into the square glass hole...lol

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:38 PM
Banned

PTrader: (56/100%)
thanks for posting photos.
I have d.crays and shrimp
in the same breeding tank.
while it does not surprise
me they eat each other,
I have not noticed any
predation problems yet.
I do make sure there is
enough food around

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 11:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Really nice pics. And great opportunity to capture.
Mind if I ask what you were shooting with?

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 03:09 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
Really nice pics. And great opportunity to capture.
Mind if I ask what you were shooting with?
Thanks! It was kind of a weird opportunity. I was just feeding them, so everyone came to look & see, and that's how one of the curious Cherries got caught.

Camera is a Canon 20D with a Sigma lens and flash held from above.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (44/100%)
DAMN IT! I just bought some dwarf crays to add to a shrimp only tank- but they are my black bee shrimp and they haven't started breeding yet! Now what the heck am I supposed to do with these crays?

The plural of anecdote is not data
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 07:48 PM
Planted Member

Send a message via AIM to natx Send a message via Skype™ to natx

?

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-05-2007, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Are these real?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbosaurus View Post
Now what the heck am I supposed to do with these crays?
Feed them?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode