75G My latest obsession (56K) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (2/100%)
75G My latest obsession (56K)

I finally got my Soilmaster Select last weekend and finally decided to bite the bullet and transfer all of my gear from my 30G. My original plan was to use my 29G since my Oscar, JD's and Pacu's were living in the 75 but I decided instead to take the Pacus' back to the pet shop for re-sale hoping their new owner would actually have room for the. The Oscar is now in the 29G until I can afford to buy him a 55G and the JDs' are going to be donated to a local Elementary School.

Here are just a few pics of what it looks like finished. As soon as I take the time to e-mail my pics from my cell of the process, I'll update. I'm pretty happy with how things turned out although I'll be much happier after my Blyxa and Dwarf Hairgrass fill in some more. I'm also going to replace the Wisteria with Limnophila aromatica once things balance out some. I've also got another piece of wood that's boiling as I'm typing that will get Java Moss, Java Fern, and S??wassertang tied to it. Had it in but both pieces of wood seemed to be leaching sap (just Oak stems that I broke of my wife's tree, shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh................) and the bacteria. I still need to boil the crap outa the piece that's still in there. I bleached them both but obviously wasn't enough. So, I'll boil em' both but good and if that doesn't work out, I'll have to spend some money.

The Neons' are obvious. The other school are Zebra Danios'. I've read that they're nippers but so far so good. It seems that with 4' of open swimming room, they're ok.

So, what do you think? This is what the 30G looked like and I think it's a VAST improvement but then again, I'm partial.

I'm using the F305 that came from the 30G along with the F405 that was originally on the 75G. My CO2 is via 5# tank and in-line reactor. I added a 200 watt in-line heater. Wasn't sure if 200W would do so I bought 1 for each filter but so far 1 is plenty. I also added an in-line UV.

My Ludwigia is doing one H*@L of allot better in the Soilmaster

Then is was in that nappy old stuff that I picked up from the LFS that was supposed to be for planted ponds (no I don't remember what was on the bag)

I know it's still early but I just couldn't get the stuff to grow worth crap in the 30G. It always looked stunted and crumply.

So that's all for now. Hope you enjoy!
________
VAPORIZER BUY

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:34 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:54 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Once everything grows in I'm sure the tank will have a great jungle look to with the variety of plants. Great start Todd
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 08:57 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thanks, I appreciate the encouragement!
________
GingerLady

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:35 PM.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
Looks like a nice start Todd. I agree things will look a bit better when the blyxa grows in. I'm wondering if your hardscape might get a bit swalloed up.
BTW the nappy plant looks like: Alternanthera Reineckii to me. Can grow in a beautiful full red (I hope I just added 6 stems to my 125)

Walter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
I'm wondering if your hardscape might get a bit swalloed up.
I'm wondering that too, specially on the left side of the tank in the "stem corner" but time will tell. I'm planning on keeping the Comboba trimmed back but we'll see how well that turns out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tazcrash69 View Post
BTW the nappy plant looks like: Alternanthera Reineckii to me. Can grow in a beautiful full red (I hope I just added 6 stems to my 125)
He man, thanks sooooo much for the correction. Fact is plant ID is a HORRIBLE weakness for me. There are VERY few I know for a fact si any chance I get to learn something, I welcome the opportunity. It does seem to like the SMS much better though. What substrate did you dunk yours into? And I would imagine it will need to be pushed back long term, just didn't want it to get shaded while it was still so small. Just tried to lop off the best tops I had and hope for the best.
________
Easy Vape Hose

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:36 PM.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
OK, got the phots mixed up. The red is still A. reineckii, but the nappy stuff looks like it might be some type of Myrohpilium. (ID not my strong suite either).

Mine is in Fluorite, so the composition is probably very similar to your SMS. Wish I could tell you more. All I know is that it's supposed to be easier than macandra.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 02:26 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
play with the arrangement of rocks and plants a bit... It looks like they're in a criminal line up.

And push the rocks down into the substrate.. It looks like it was just placed there... You'd want it to look like it's been there for hundreds & thousands of years.

post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Cool. Thanks for the tip!
________
HunterSex

post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-07-2007, 06:34 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Here's a 1 week update. Added 12 more Neons and 9 Zebra Danios. Not sure the Danios are gonna be a good fit thought. They do no harm but are always chasing around the Ammanos and Neons. The neons rarely school because of it. Played w/ the wood and rocks a little. Hope you enjoy.

________
CHEAP GLASS PIPES

post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-09-2007, 11:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (42/100%)
My Alternanthera Reineckii gets crumply often, even in SMS. Seems to respond to all kinds of fluctuations including ferts and CO2, but the good thing is you can always clip the tops, discard the bottoms, or hide the bottoms with mid ground plants.

You probably won't experience too much nipping from the danios until you have them around fish that have graceful, threaded fins, like angelfish. With angelfish, seems like every schooler becomes a nipper, the fins are just too tantalizing.

The tank looks good so far I agree you should play around more with the rocks to get something less manufactured and more natural looking. Maybe group them in the center with all your branches radiating out from the mass. I'm not a big fan of the straight branches though, I much more prefer your slimmer, branchier piece on the mid right side, a group of those coming from a cluster of stones could look very natural and draw the eye in.

post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 03:46 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I ended up tossing the branches all together. The kept leaching sap even after having the crap boiled out of them for 3 days straight. So, I broke the driftwood I had in the 30G into two smaller pieces, tied some Java Fern to one of them and stuck it up on it's end to the right center. Still haven't decided what I'll ultimately do with my rocks. They're spread out across the tank but placed at random depths. Hard to tell by the pics but that where they are. I'm gonna wait for the Hairgrass and Blyxa to grow out and see what happens. I also added an Anubias and Sword I found at PetSmart. Not sure what kind they are but they're tall and I liked them. I'll update some pics later.
________
sweetAlyssia

post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So, here are some pics,

FTV

Blyxa corner, starting to create shoots but hard to see in the pic. In only 2 weeks, this stuff is starting to come alive!!!!!

New Sword and Anubias. Anyone help me out with the variety?

And New Wood. I've seen recently drift wood COMPLETELY covered in Ferns. That must take like FOREVER based on how slowly I've seen this stuff grow (unless I'm doing something wrong). None the less, that's what I'm hoping to create. Just hope the roots will dig into the wood and hold itself after the thread rots away.

On a final note, my Rotalla is doing something strange. It's the very first plant I put in the 30 when getting it started so I've watched it go through some changes but I have more experience with it then anything else. The bases of the stems, just above the surface of the substrate is rotting. Happened on 4 or 5 stems. Never seen it do that even when I had the stuff planted in one singe 4" diameter clump. Could it have been from being covered with SMS dust from the initial planting? No pics of it but if it happens again, I'll break out the camera b4 I remove the rot and replant.

Thanks for checking me out!
________
Zoloft Settlements

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:37 PM.
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 09:53 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Looking good, I don't know about the sword, but the ferns look like Microsorum pteropus "windelov" and maybe a couple normal ones. I've never been able to get java fern to the point I've seen in some amazing tanks before it goes sexual and turns black. I pin mine on with thumb tacks.

Is the rotting happening in this tank or the 30? What kind of Rotala? That's usually caused by lack of light at the base from what I read, never had it happen personally though. In any case, Rotalas are usually pretty fast growers so you could probably just replant the tips and trash the stem, or weight it down sideways and it'll shoot new roots and stems.

I still say pile the rocks together in the center and create a mountain scene, wrap moss around them and plug in a few anubias.

post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Yeah, the rot is in the 75. The 30's been broken down so this is all I have. I've also read that it had to do with light reaching the bases. Hope that doesn't mean I need to go HQI. I added another fixture for a few days (130 watts) and was in a very short time seeing lots of algae start.

For now, I'll just hack the rot and re-plant. And, yes, I am considering the central mountain range. I'll keep you posted.
________
Glass bubblers

Last edited by Tdon1md; 08-22-2011 at 12:37 PM.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 12-10-2007, 10:11 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Is that 130 total or just added to the existing light? How much wattage are you running now? Reflector? Sorry if I missed it, I didn't see after scanning just now. Maybe a rock was in the way?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode