65g emersed! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Smile 65g emersed!

So I just turned my planted 65 in my basement into a emersed grow out for extra plants I have from me dismantling my other tanks - mostly Anubias. I've also seen a lot of threads regarding emersed setups, so I'd like to share mine! I've set up and dismantled 2 other emersed setups in the past, but I think this one will be here to stay for awhile.

Tank:
65 gallon (standard)

Lighting:
Aquaticlife 2x39w (giesemann rosette/midday)

Substrate:
Hydroton base with fluorite cap

Cover:
Improvised plastic and electrical tape

Extras:
Tetra internal for waterfall
Mistking on timer - 4 times a day with 10-15 second durations

Plant List:
Anubias nana
Anubias broadleaf
Anubias petite
Anubias hastifolia
Anubias coffeefolia

Java fern
Bolbitis heudelotii
Bolbitis heteroclita cuspidate

Glossostigma elatinoides
Micranthemum umbrosum "monte carlo"
Dwarf hairgrass
Utricularia graminifolia
Hydrocotyle verticillata
Micro chainsword
Staurogynes repens
pogostemon helferi

Cryptocoryne green
Cryptocoryne brown

Bacopa carolinina
Rotala mini butterfly
Rotala Vietnam
Ammania multifolia
Alternanthera reineckii
Echinodorus versuvius
Hygrophila pinnatifida

Mini pellia
Spiky moss
Taiwan moss
Fissidens fontanus

FTS - don't mind the mess around it

Anubias - broadleaf, nana, coffeefolia, hastifolia

Angled shot

Last edited by Default; 02-17-2014 at 06:10 AM. Reason: added list
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (25/100%)
I'm definitely interested to see how yours progresses. I am redoing my 90 gallon for an emersed setup (thread: revampped 90 gallon for emersed plants), so hopefully we can learn some tricks from each other's setups!

Where did you get the square pots? I went to Lowes and Home Depot yesterday and could only find circular ones.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-10-2014, 07:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrubich View Post
I'm definitely interested to see how yours progresses. I am redoing my 90 gallon for an emersed setup (thread: revampped 90 gallon for emersed plants), so hopefully we can learn some tricks from each other's setups!

Where did you get the square pots? I went to Lowes and Home Depot yesterday and could only find circular ones.
That'd be cool! That's the best way to learn, I'd happily share my experiences.
However regarding the pots, I got them from a local hydroponics store, they usually have more square pots than the chain hardware stores.

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

update! I moved some plants around and a lot a few more varieties to the mix. some plants seem to be growing well like ferns, glossos, and hydrocotyles - while everything else seems to be halted. a few anubias sprouted bright green leaves, but nothing dramatic.
ive been adding some houseplant fertilizer into the water column and misting a fairly strong solution of tropica(had a little bit left from 2 years ago )+water mixture onto the plants.
added plant list to the top as well!

tanky

right side

middle

left side
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 06:07 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Wow that looks really good. I think I might switch from dirt to hydroton in my emersed tub now.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffE View Post
Wow that looks really good. I think I might switch from dirt to hydroton in my emersed tub now.
hey, thanks! but only the base is hydroton! the cap is fluorite, I had it lying around so I used it, but I think a combo of hydroton and dirt/peat would be very effective.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
Looks good!

How much of a hydroton base did you use? I've got a thin layer of hydroton in the very bottom of a few of the pots I have in my emersed set up, mostly to keep the substrate mix from being lost out the bottom. I'm not sure there would be an advantage to using much more than that.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

RAOK Club #24
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-17-2014, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson18 View Post
Looks good!

How much of a hydroton base did you use? I've got a thin layer of hydroton in the very bottom of a few of the pots I have in my emersed set up, mostly to keep the substrate mix from being lost out the bottom. I'm not sure there would be an advantage to using much more than that.
Thank you!
I also have very little in the pots, just one layer of them. They were used so less fluorite gets flushed out the holes at the bottom. I can see the Hydroton working well for Anubias, but other than than it doesn't seem to make a difference.
I was initially planning to use pots with all Hydroton, for the Anubias, but the fact that they leave huge gaps in between each other started looking like a bad place to start a algae farm
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
Nice setup.

Do you find that mosses grow faster emersed or in high light high co2 tanks?
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedge_fund View Post
Nice setup.

Do you find that mosses grow faster emersed or in high light high co2 tanks?
Thanks for the kind words!
Personally for me, my moss in my high tech tanks grow faster as the high co2 and fertilizers seem to work very well, but the emersed growth is a lot cooler and best part - no algae.q
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 02:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (105/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Default View Post
Thanks for the kind words!
Personally for me, my moss in my high tech tanks grow faster as the high co2 and fertilizers seem to work very well, but the emersed growth is a lot cooler and best part - no algae.q
Awesome, thanks. I have grown moss under both conditions and always had better results in water when tons of co2 was added.
post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 03:08 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So as not to hijack that other thread:

This is what I have so far. It's only about 3 gallons and I was just going to get moss growing on the rocks that aren't submerged. One problem I'm having is actually seeing into the tank lol. The humidity is so high (and the tank isn't sealed) that it's hard to see in.

This pretty much got started because I had the equipment laying around, and extra moss so I thought I would experiment.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 04:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by creekbottom View Post
So as not to hijack that other thread:

This is what I have so far. It's only about 3 gallons and I was just going to get moss growing on the rocks that aren't submerged. One problem I'm having is actually seeing into the tank lol. The humidity is so high (and the tank isn't sealed) that it's hard to see in.

This pretty much got started because I had the equipment laying around, and extra moss so I thought I would experiment.
It looks good so far, few things would be to lower the water as much as possible - you get less algae that way, or just add some floaters at the bottom to cover the gravel.
However if you just wanted to grow moss you didn't need gravel, just adds to surface area for algae. Also the waterfall flow might be too strong to just lay moss on the rocks, they might just wash off one day and become a PITA, perhaps a method to attach them first would be good.
And the humidity is so high for such a small tank! Lol and it's not even fully sealed!
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 05:05 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (153/100%)
The standard 65 is a nice size and shape. It is not so big that you can still move it around without too much trouble, but there is lots of room inside including vertical space to grow plants.

A 65 is a great tank for a riparium setup, too,

post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 06:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

thanks for the tips. The filter is a whisper 10i so the water has to be that high, but I think I'm ok with that. I might plant some crypts and if they grow out of the water, meh. I've got some java fern plantlets stuffed into the cracks and they haven't wilted yet, so that's good. This is really just an experiment for me so I'll see what works.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode