dekstr's 55g low-tech, not set-up yet!! (56k) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 08:46 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
dekstr's 55g low-tech, not set-up yet!! (56k)

So the aquarium passion/bug has begun. It's like a snowball going down the hill. I even started applying for jobs at the fish store. I don't need the money, I just want to work at a fish store cause it'll be awesome. Aquariums at home, outside, online. Then go to class and have lots of fun with friends.

One member on a separate Toronto-based aquarium forum is giving up the hobby, and is selling his 55 gal + accessories. I'm planning to take up him on the offer (if it's not taken yet). He has a lot of excellent equipment with the deal, since he was pretty serious about the hobby. I'm going to do this upgrade during Christmas break after finals.

Currently I have a 20 gal, and it's starting to look crowded. I'm probably going to transfer the inhabitants from there to the new 55 gal, and eventually adding enough to make nice big schools. I'd like to do some of the things a little differently in the new tank too. The width is a bit tight, only 12 inches I think, but I can work around this. It’d be easier to work with a wider tank, but wider tank = more substrate = more money, so I am fine with the narrow width.

Preliminary Plan:
Stow away everything from the 20g until I come up with something cool in mind, and set up a 55g in place that will require low maintenance. I’ll only reuse the substrate (my precious fluorite), and the driftwood and plants. I think smell a species tank! Suggestions for the 20g are highly welcome though!

The new equipment:
Filtration: 1x Eheim canister 2215, 2x Aquaclear 70
Water movement: 2x Aquaclear powerhead 50.
Heater: 200w Eheim Jager heater
Substrate: Flourite (in the planted section), Home Depot sand-blasting sand as filler for non-planted section, oak colored Estes spectra stone gravel, peat moss on bottom layer
Lighting: Suspended 48 inch Coralife full spectrum dual T5 bulb
Canopy: Glass top
Thermometer: Coralife digital thermometer
CO2: 2x 2 litre yeast bottles (placed underneath intake for powerheads, but not directly inside to prevent a “Help-my-yeastwater-got-sucked-into-my-tank-because-I-attached-it-to-the-powerhead” thread.
Fertilizing: Dry fertilizers—once every two weeks

For all water intakes, I’ll wrap it in coarse sponge foam to prevent shrimp from getting sucked in. Then for water flow, there’ll be sections of rapid movement, and some slow-moving areas.

Livestock:
- Malaysian trumpet snails
- 12 rummynose tetras -> 15-20 rummynose tetras
- 3 panda cories --> 6-10 panda cories
- 2 otos --> 3-4 otos
- 2 pygmy cories --> 6-10 pygmy cories
- 14 red cherry shrimps --> 14 cherry shrimps... because they will mate like crazy anyway (maybe trade with some members later on to get genetic diversity and avoid excessive in-breeding).

After watching this, you will understand what it means to keep schooling fish.

Aquascape:
No idea. But I have an idea that I’ll have different areas with different substrate.
Mid and background: fluorite to grow rooted plants
Foreground: empty areas of Home Depot sand-blasting sand for burrowing cories, some low maintenance carpet plants
- Then interspersed with varying winding paths of regular gravel and some mixing of substrate between to make a cool-looking, natural bottom.
- Current driftwood pieces + new pieces that are massive and long, attached with some flame moss.
- Sections of long uninterrupted, open areas for the schooling tetras to do their work.
- Black background made with garbage bags (it looks really good on my current tank already. The plastic sheets they sell you at LFSs are really glossy, and looks to shiny. The garbage bags diffuse the light and look more subtle with the occasional wrinkles.)

What do you think? Any suggestions?
Basically, it’s going to be quite low maintenance with simple easy plants.
Shrimp, otos and snails will be my main clean up crew. Otos get extra vegetables from the fridge. The cories' primary food source will be shrimp pellets, supplemented with any bottom detritus (thus becoming the secondary clean up crew).

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/f...on-set-up.html

Finally finished cleaning. Now it's lying in the basement. I've painted the stand black now.

Lighting plans: I already ordered from ahsupply for the 2x 55w PC fluorescent already! Looking forward to setting that up--can't wait to check out the amazing reflector everyone's been raving about.

Last edited by dekstr; 11-23-2007 at 03:50 PM.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode