Photography ?...which lens? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 12:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (11/100%)
Photography ?...which lens?

I just bought a new Sony A100 DSLR....lovin' it ! My question is what lens is best for aquarium photography? I have the 18-80 and a 70-210. Is there a reasonably priced lens that is really good for aquarium photography. I have gotten some nice shots but I know there are lens that are good for detail and close up shots. Thanks for any help. Ben
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 03:51 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
whichever lens look good...
A macro lens is handy for really close up shots.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (278/99%)
you may want to pm wood he is a member of this forum and takes some really spectacular macro shots of his shrimp.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 11:42 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (22/100%)
I hate to say this, but you will probably need to get 2 lenses. 1 for tank photos, 1 for macro close ups of fauna (still saving up for this).
FWIW (DSLR is fairly new to me) Probably the best thing I have found for taking pics with a DSLR is an off camera flash, and a tripod.

Walter

and
or my
Proud former member of:

--May the floor under your tank always be dry, and your glass clear!!!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 06:48 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
Off the top of my head, I'm not sure what mount Sony uses, or how many third party manufacturers are currently making lenses for it, but I'd say your best bet for a good closeup lens would be to look around for a macro 1:1 lense in the 90-100mm range, and definitely an f/2.8 or faster. That will keep you far enough away so you don't scare the fish, but close enough to take a good picture.

For a full tank lense, I'd try a fast prime in the 20-35mm range. Something like a f/2, maybe even or f/1.7 if you can find one.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the advice. I've been looking at the 50mm 1:1.7, I think its a f/2.8. The nice thing about the Sony a100 or 700 is that it uses the old Minolta AF lens. I had the 70-200mm lens left over from my old camera and it works great on the new camera. If anyone has any other specific lens for the macro stuff please let me know. Thanks again.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-16-2007, 10:30 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Pooky125 Send a message via MSN to Pooky125 Send a message via Yahoo to Pooky125 Send a message via Skype™ to Pooky125
A 50mm 1:1.7 is a 50mm f/1.7. They mean the same thing. That will be perfect for full tank shots, assuming you can stand several feet back.

As for macro lenses, doing just a quick search on B&H, I thought these would work well:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...F_D_100mm.html - not super cheap, and I'm not terribly familiar with the brand since they've merged, but I know Konica used to be a really nice company, and Minolta too, so this might be just what your looking for.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...3_5_EX_DG.html - This would be awesome. I personally lust after one for flower and bug shots, but you might find it a bit much for fish shots.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._DG_Macro.html - this is a nice budget lens. I know you already have a 70-210, but this one, apart from having a slightly longer reach does a nice closeup up to 1:2. Not quite as close as the other two, but nothing to shake a stick at.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._EX_Macro.html - Another macro, cheaper then the other 2, Sigma's make nice lenses. I have a Sigma 90mm macro for my DSLR and I love it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._f_2_8_AF.html - I add this one, because I think it needs to be said, that I don't know anything about it, but pretty much, you can't go wrong with any macro lens. Any of the 3rd party companies make a nice one and I'm sure Minolta does, and I wouldn't be surprised if Sony had a nice one too.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc..._f_2_8_Di.html - I know there's someone on this board who uses this with a Canon DSLR and gets some nice images, I wouldn't rule this one out either.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...m_f_2_8_D.html - this one, is different then the rest. Instead of being in the 90-180 range, this is a 50mm. Could kill two birds with one stone. It's a macro lens, and would be good for a full tank shot. Not to mention, it's not terribly expensive to boot.

So, to sum up, pretty much any macro lens you choose will be just fine. There are several suggestions depending on how much your looking to spend. If your going for a budget true macro, I'd say the Sigma 105mm myself. You won't have to invade personal space, and spook your fish, but it will still give you that nice 1:1 magnification.

The 50mm f/1.7 is nice, and it would suit you well for low light shots, not just of your tank, but any family gathering inside, but you could always kill two birds with one stone, and get the Sony 50mm macro. You won't find it quite as fast for those low light shots, but it should suit your purposes just fine.

HTH, and I didn't fill your brain with to much at one time.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

WOW! Thanks! I'll have to digest it all but man, thanks for the info. Thanks! Ben
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-17-2007, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Haha, no problem! Happy to help.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode