Trouble: A Five Gallon Tank Journal *Update 2-21* - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Trouble: A Five Gallon Tank Journal *Update 2-21*

Tank Journal

A few weeks ago, my sister-in-law practically begged me to take her daughter's betta home. She had it all planned out, we'd sneak it out of the house on a weekend, while the girls were away. Of course, her daughter somehow caught wind of our plan and had a fit. So the plan was out the window – but not before I had purchased a new tank, heater, and supplies to house my now non-existent betta friend. I used to be a HUGE planted tank nut – which is to say that I was a junkie with multiple tanks all around my house.

Now I have this 5 gallon tank just sitting there, taunting me... call me bitten by the aquarium bug.

I should start this off with stating that I have forgotten much of what I used to know. So feel free to point out the flaws in my plans.

5 Gallon Crescent Tank – can be viewed here http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752372

Tetra Whisper Micro Filter – it came with set up – I've used it before and don't remember having any trouble out of them.

Hydor 25W Submersible Aquarium Heater - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006JLPG8/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
CaribSea FloraMax Substrate - http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Flora: I'm still in the process of looking for a decent piece of driftwood for this tank, so I haven't picked up any plants.

Fauna:

Plan 1:

A betta – I'd really like a Plakat Betta, does anyone know if any of the major stores sells them? Or of an American breeder?
A few amano shrimps
A Mystery Snail

Plan 2:

Shrimp only tank – not sure what kind though (some of those buggers can be downright EXPENSIVE)

Plan 3:

A small school of CPD's – I keep seeing other people keep them in such a small tank... though I think eventually I would just feel bad for the little guys... they really should have more space to swim around in.

Plan 4:
???? - I dunno, what do you guys think?

Alright, so back when I started “tanking” we went by Watts Per Gallon... but I've read a few posts that talk about something called PAR (having to do with LED lights?) Can someone direct me to a decent thread or site that explains this?

That being said – I've NO idea what kind of light quality this tank will have. I'm guessing low to moderate. I'm hoping to keep this tank low tech

Let me know what you guys think, and feel free to link any other tanks using the 5 Gallon Crescent.

UPDATE: Lots of pictures and such: http://theamberwoods.com/2014-02-12-...ble-fish-story

Last edited by Niyona; 02-21-2014 at 08:49 PM. Reason: Updating Photos
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (150/100%)
Plan 4:

A pair of german blue rams in a heavily planted tank. Would look awesome, in my opinion.

20 gallon - Sulawesi Golden rabbit snails/Japanese Trapdoor snails/RCS/Marbled crayfish tank
55 gallon - Rainbowfish Dutch scape low-tech planted tank

250 gallon - Community Tiger Oscar/Red hook silver dollar/Silver dollars/PB Jack Dempsey/Clown loaches/Tinfoil barb/Roseline sharks/Bala shark Monster fish tank
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Do you think it's okay to keep the GBR's in a 5 gallon? I used to have a pair in one of my old 55 gallon tanks. I always thought they needed at least 20 gallons and plenty of swim room.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-04-2014, 09:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (44/100%)
German Blue Rams need a bigger tank. I'd go with either a betta (plakats are my favorites as well) or some cherry shrimp.

The Fraternity of Dirt #112

Cryptocoryne farmer
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 09:04 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Update with link to my site for photos in the bottom of the first post.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-12-2014, 09:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Fishless Cycle Started:

Testing Pre-Ammonia

KH - 7
GH - 161.1
Ammonia .25ppm
Nitrite: 0ppm
Nitrate: 0ppm

Ammonia raised to between 3ppm and 4ppm.

Wish me luck!
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-13-2014, 01:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Tank Build Details:

Name: Trouble

Tanks Size: 5 gallon crescent aquarium

Filter: Set up came with an internal whisper filter

Filter Media: I opted to put some Fluval Biomax and a sponge in, instead of the normal charcoal inserts.

Heater: Hydor rated for 2-7 gallons

Lighting: Set up came with a LED light fixture that hangs on the back of the tank. I'm guessing low light conditions.

Substrate: Caribsea Flora-Max

Decorations: I searched EVERYWHERE for something small to go in this tank. Then I got lucky and found these at a local fish store.

The second piece is just slightly too big for the tank... that's okay, I'll keep it and use it for "another" tank... mwahahahah

Flora: I'm going to have to stick with smaller, low light plants. I ordered some Christmas Moss and some Subwasserstang. I also found these at the local Petsmart:

Fauna: Right now the plan includes a Betta, a few Malaysian Trumpet Snails, a Mystery Snail, and maybe a few Amano Shrimp.

Here is what I'm thinking in terms of aquascaping:

I am not sure which way I like the driftwood facing.

Here is the tank with water in it, I had to put the rock on top of the driftwood to weigh it down while it becomes waterlogged.... Hopefully it will have sunk by the time my fishless cycle is done.

Last edited by Niyona; 02-13-2014 at 01:50 PM. Reason: fixed image tags
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-20-2014, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

You know you're a tank keeper when: You're excited about ammonia levels, and white fuzzy stuff growing on your new driftwood...
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-21-2014, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Fishless Cycle Update:

2-21-14

Ammonia .25ppm

Nitrite 5.0ppm

Nitrate 5.0ppm

The driftwood has sunk, so I was able to do a bit of aquascaping.

The water is still a bit murky from where I moved things around, but you can see the general idea .

The driftwood has some Subwasserstang, X-mas Moss, and TINY Anubias Nana tied to it.

The rock has some lacy java moss and a different type of Anubias tied too it. Right now the ribosomes are all WILD looking... I didn't want to trim them just yet, but instead give the plant a little time to attach before I go chopping of extra "roots".

Last edited by Niyona; 02-21-2014 at 08:54 PM. Reason: edit
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-22-2014, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Ammonia levels are now dropping to .25ppm in less than 24 hours. Nitrites and Nitrates sitting at constant levels.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Cycle complete! - Now to order a betta!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-03-2014, 06:09 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niyona View Post
Cycle complete! - Now to order a betta!
Where do you plan to get your betta? aquabid? Do you have a specific seller+transshipper you trust?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode