From High tech to low tech**need some help** - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 04:53 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Send a message via MSN to RachPreach
From High tech to low tech**need some help**

Well, as some of you know, I lost most of my fish to a tradegic co2 overdose. I had adjusted the needle valve for the bubble counter before I went to bed and I didnt check it the next morning like I usually do, and I came home to all of my fish floating. It was the most horrifying experience ever. Only two of my 5 angels survived along with my cories and clown loach. And yes, I had a ph controller but due to my substrate lowering my ph, I wasnt able to use it. And my co2 was on a timer, but the bubble counter was just too fast that day.

Any way, I figured this was a perfect opportunity to go low tech since ive been thinking about it for a while. I sold all of my plants except for the ones that could survive in lower light. I went from 3wpg to 2 wpg and I have cut out co2 completely along with the dry fertilizers. Now, I dont have to worry about fertilizing everyday or the weekly water changes! YAY! I wanted a setup that focused more on the fish instead of plants. This is the before:

And this is the after:

and my DIY cave for my apistos:

BTW, are there any other ideas or methods out there for DIY caves?

Let me know what yall think! Its not completely finished. Im going to add some more driftwood and anubias. ANy suggestions on any thing else?

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.
Rena Filstar xp3, 2x32 and 1x96 watts with no co2.

Last edited by RachPreach; 11-27-2007 at 01:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
RachPreach,

Although I haven't had any tragedisasters like yours, I'm arriving at what appears to be the same place that you are ... lowtechtown.

I've had the co2 shut off to my 180 and 55 gal tanks for about 5 days now. When I shut off the co2, I also stopped my EI dosing to both tanks.

The 55g has 2wpg (2 x 55 watts) over it which are lit from 9a-9p.

The 180g has 1/2 wpg (2 x 55 watts) from 9a-9p with another 1 wpg (2x96 watts) added from 11a-2p.

The 180 is on an "autowaterchange drip" of ~100-110 gal/wk and I'm changing about 1/3 of the water in the 55 every Sunday.

The only significant change I've seen since I stopped the co2/ferts is that the GDA in the 180 has quit regrowing. The walls have remained virtually clean for the past week.

After I finish my waterchanges today, I plan on dosing both tanks with my regular EI dose ... and that's all for the week.

I think it'll be interesting to see if things remain looking good or if it all crashes around my ears as a result of the discontinuing of co2/ferts ... stay tuned ...

Keep Smilin'
John

"Life is hard;
It's harder if you're stupid."
.................................John Wayne
disclaimer: When I took "The Dukes" quote as my signature, I was thinking of me, not you.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

you could totally do that with no problem. Its the exact same thing as im doing. The only thing I might add occasionally will be some excel.

100g tank:10 small angelfish, 1 harlequin rasbora, 2 albino cory, 2 clown loach, 1 rubberlip pleco, 1 bristlenose pleco and 1 apisto borellis.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-12-2007, 02:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Send a message via Yahoo to ikuzo
i remember spypet has a diy cave.

edit : ...or someone else... can't find the thread. here's a link anyway :
http://www.duboisi.com/diy/BNdiygrotto/bndiygrotto.htm

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 12:34 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok so im so loving the low tech tank! No remembering to fertilize or change the tank weekly. Its great.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on my tank? I will soon have some corkscrew vals to cover up some of the background(tubes, filter).

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 04:08 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
you can have as much plants in a low-tech as in a hi-tech btw...

No point in getting rid of those lovely plants. Some plants do need high lights though.. I give my tank 4 hours of direct sunlight and things are great with no CO2 or excel.

Here's a strategy, go hi-tech to grow out lush plants the way you want. And then switch to low-tech and enjoy.

We should have a low-tech no CO2 or excel tank contest one of these days. I'm preparing a 10G low-tech for just an occasion.

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-13-2007, 02:47 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well all the plants i sold were for high light. I kept the ones that would grow in low light. I kinda want to keep the plants to a minimum and focus of looking at the fish like I said.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 01:44 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

ok this is kinda related to this thread i originally started. LIke I said, I had two angels that survived the co2 disaster. They seemed to recover nicely and have been doing fine until a couple of days ago. All the other fish in the tank are fine. Anyway, i noticed both of them had some whitish film on their bodies and one of them had red on the ends of his fins(hemorratic sep...something). Ive had a fish with this before and it was easily treated. I removed them from the tank and put them in my hospital tank. I treated them with some fungal meds. One of them is doing fine but the other one is not. He is going upside down and i dont think he will make it. I did a 25% water change and added the difference of the medicine. I have the temp at about 82 degrees.

Is there anything else I can do?

Do you think that the co2 incident caused their immune system to decrease?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 02:41 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Saraja87
if its bacterial the heat will make it spread faster. Have you tried treating with antibiotics and a little salt?

110 Tall in progress!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 04:54 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

i did add salt to the tank. I dont have antibiotics though. I looked at them this morning and I think the one angel might be dead or close to it but the other angel is doing fine.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (32/100%)
Dood in that first pic I see a waterline that is seriously tilted.Is it still like that?

EHEIM Pimp Club Member #250 2217,2026,2236
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 12:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

lol...yes, my apartment complex it kinda old and the floors are slanted. Dont worry, im on the bottom floor. Im eventually gonna fix it with some shims though. Thanks for noticing.

So my other angel did die. My other one is doing ok. So could this have happened because their immune system was decreased from the co2 disaster?

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-30-2007, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

well the other angel died also. I wish i could get some explanation as to why this happened . I really do think that they were just sick from the co2 incident and lack of O2. Everything else in the 100 gallon is doing fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode