post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:10 AM Thread Starter
TDV
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
TDV's Iwagumi Style Mini M

Most Recent Update

Current Tank:

Original Post

I've always wanted to try an Iwagumi style aquarium, so I finally decided to jump right in and see what would happen.

Equipment:
  • ADA Mini M
  • Finnex Planted+ 16"
  • Eheim Classic 2211
  • Paintball canister w/ Aquatek Mini Regulator
To get things started I bought a bunch of small Ryuoh stones and went to work trying to get a nice layout. I had limited options because most of the stones only had one good side, and I didn't want to turn them away from the front and thereby "waste" the neat textures.

Front View:

Top Down View:

I was hoping to do a mountainscape, but I think it turned out looking more like a rocky outcrop. I am still quite pleased how it turned out though. For plants I was going to do HC in the front and DHG in the back, but the store only had HC. It actually worked out okay though, because the one little container I bought had enough plant in it to cover almost my entire tank! I'm going to try the dry start method so that the HC can develop some roots before the tank gets flooded. Here's what it looks like right now:

Day 1 - Front View:

Day 1 - Top Down View:

Hopefully I've added the right amount of water; I wouldn't want the roots to rot or the plants to dry out. I guess we'll find out. More updates to come!

Last edited by TDV; 05-29-2014 at 02:41 AM. Reason: Added updated picture
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:18 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Love the hardscspe. Can't wait to see how it fills in!

~Sam

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:19 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Looks good, very realistic looking layout.

75G, 29G, 20L, 12L, 10G, 5 Nano's, 3 Betta bowls

*Everybody has too much of something...me? I have fish tanks.*

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 AM
Algae Grower

Great beginning..subscribed!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 02:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Beautiful scape!

post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
TDV
Algae Grower

Glad everyone likes it!

Does anyone know for dry start method, is it worse to have too much water, or too little?
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-03-2014, 04:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDV View Post
Glad everyone likes it!

Does anyone know for dry start method, is it worse to have too much water, or too little?
Both are bad. Too much water; HC rots and melts - Too little; dries out and dies. You have to find just the right amount where the substrate is very moist but not sopping wet

~Sam

post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-09-2014, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
TDV
Algae Grower

Day 8:

I wasn't sure if anything was actually happening, but comparing this photo to the one from last week shows that the plants are perking up a bit and growing some new leaves (hurray!). Some sections look like they are getting a little yellow, but I'm not sure if that is from before or if it is new.

I'm interested to see how the roots are doing as I've read that the the first couple weeks of DSM are pretty much all root development, but the only way to do that would be to lift up one of one of the patches and destroy all the progress its made so far...
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 03:46 PM Thread Starter
TDV
Algae Grower

Day 14:

HC is starting to fill in now! Getting some good root growth too. I tried cutting off the small dead patches of HC, but accidentally pulled up a portion in the process. It seems like most of them are growing back anyway, so I'm just going to leave it.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 05:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (19/100%)
Goodjob on the cape and DSM. I've had mine in DSM for over a month and haven't really seen much of a change in the plants. Kinda irritating!

RETIRED
RETIRED

post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-16-2014, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
TDV
Algae Grower

I saw your post and it seems like we have similar setups. I have mine completely covered with plastic wrap, but I open it up for about 15 minutes each day and then mist the plants (mainly the ones in the back and on the slopes, less so for the ones in the front which already have lots of water). Based on the information I've been able to get online I would guess that my light is giving the plants somewhere around 60-80 PAR. I also used HC that was grown emersed, so it works really well for DSM. Submersed HC would (I think, correct me if I'm wrong) take a couple weeks to change into emersed state before you see much spreading, so if you used that it may explain the delay.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
TDV
Algae Grower

Three weeks in, things are still going quite well. HC spreading quite now and putting down more roots. I'll be going on vacation for a week soon so I hope that spraying a little extra water and poking some holes in the plastic wrap before leaving will be enough to keep it alive while I'm away.

Day 21 - Top:

There are some empty patches that will probably take a while to fill in. Would it be okay to cut some pieces off the parts that have grown already and use them to fill it in? Or should I just be patient and wait?

I put some Fissidens Fontanus in the crack of one of the rocks a while back. I'm not sure if it will fit in with the Iwagumi theme, but it's doing nicely so I'm just going to leave it alone and see how it turns out.

Full tank view:
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-23-2014, 02:37 PM
Algae Grower

Looks great!
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 03:02 AM
Banned

PTrader: (45/100%)
Yes it does look good. Keep us updated on how it fills in and when you flood it. subscribed.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 02-24-2014, 04:03 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (11/100%)
Wow! Looking good Im watching closely cuz im planning on doing this soon, looking forward to more to come

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode