Where am I going with this? M.T.S. log - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where am I going with this? M.T.S. log

Im going to start a tank log here, and maybe you all can give me some input and help me pick a direction.

I currently have 5 tanks(in a 495sqft house!). All tanks have basicly the same water perameters, aside from temp. They are all about 7.8 to 8 ph, fairly hard water. I dose flourish and flourish excel at my weekly water changes(usually about 50-60% change). I currently have 3 10s(one not set up), 1 20gal and one 3gal.

The 2 10s set up, side by side in my kitchen. These are lit by a standard shop light, with 2, 40 watt cfls.

The left tank currently holds 8 male White cloud minnows, 1 nerite snail with a lake tahoe sand substrate and a manzanita "stump". It's been running about 2 months. Growing a couple crypts, onion plant, java moss and some cork screw looking thing. Curently at 65 degrees.

The right side tank currently holds about 10 Cherry shrimp, 2 amano shrimp, 1 nerite snail with Lake tahoe gravel substrate and manzanita branches. With Java ferns, java moss and one anubis in it. Running about 4 months now. Curently at 74 degrees. I never feed this tank.

My 20gal holds 7 female white clouds, 2 ottos, and 3 nerites. Substrate in eco complete. Its been running about 6 months, but was recently replanted about 2 weeks ago. Plants include water sprite, wisteria, DHG, D. baby tears, small java ferns, some type of hygro and ludwiga. This tank is lit by a diy hood, with about 110wats in crok screw cfls. Curently at 72 degrees. Im not very pleased about how it looks right now. Definetly needs a rescape.

Then I have a 3gal eclipse, set up a bit over a month with one anubis and one java fren planted in eco complete. Added a male split tale betta to it yesterday. Not sure he'll work in there though, as the filter is producing too much curent. No photo a.t.m.

And ofcourse another 10gal thats not set up, so options are endless for it!

So, not sure where to take these tanks, but they need some change. I like the shrimp tank how it is. Im thinking of putting the white clouds all together in the 20, with a rescape and a temp drop to 60-65(un heated). Ofcourse removing the ottos, maybe put them in with the shrimp? And Id like to get some corrys, so maybe they could work in the 10 gal "stump" tank? My local store current has 3 julii corys I could pick up. But is my tank to small for those guys? and PH to high? and sand bottom possibly to rough?

I also wouldnt mind getting the betta in a bigger tank, and possiby getting another one. Maybe a Betta in the stump tank with something else?

Any thoughts on how the tanks currently are, and what you think I sould do with them would be awesome!

Last edited by cjskier; 02-02-2014 at 08:53 PM. Reason: spelling/content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2014, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The plot thickens. Just found a 55 gal with stand and all equip on craigs list for $60!!! Now to find the room for it... Im thinking cold water plaudarium now with loaches and white clouds.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-06-2014, 06:27 AM
Planted Member

All the tanks look good, and that 55 gal deal is too good to pass on! I hope you can get it, I'd like to see what you do..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art by Stef* View Post
I did have a bluegill once that ate cooked pasta and bologna rinds as a treat.
Then again, that fish would probably bite on a cigarette butt.

-Stef*

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-07-2014, 06:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I didnt pic up the 55.

But I did however start up my empty 10. Filled it with black sand, and lots of rock scape with moss and java ferns glued to them.

Removed the male white clouds from the "stump" tank, add in them to the 20 with the females. And purchased all the left over corys at my LFS yesterday. A Julli cory, Hasboras Cory, 2 pigmy corys and 2 panda corys. Added them to the "stump tank.

Oh, and added a male betta, to the shrimp tank a few days ago as well.

More photos to come, after a bit more re-scaping!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode